It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:27 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: August 1st, 2007, 10:09 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
The centerpiece of the Ectozone, and the work that really brought me to Ghosthead attention, was a little thing I call The Ghostbusters Omnibus Timeline

I started it in 1998, right after we got a computer (it was old then and couldn't go on the internet), and tweaked and worked on it off and on for five years, before I signed up at GBN, started to talk about it some, and was talked into releasing it. It's the reason the Ectozone exists, really.

The concept was this: the movies and both animated series all more or less happened. With a conceptual leap or two, the timeline came together, and pretty much seems to be acclaimed by everyone who isn't insistant that the battle with Gozer happened in 1984

Concept#1: The Gozer battle happened in 1983. This allows the Ghostbusters time to become famous before the movie is made and released in 1984--an event depicted onscreen in the RGB episode "Take Two"

Concept#2: Events happen in a loose sort of "real time" progression. Season 2 is the next year after Season 1 (and the syndicated episodes, usually grouped with Season 1, are split between both years (1984-1985)

Concept#3: The two year "gap" in real life between GB1 and RGB (1984-1986) is "moved" to the years 1986-1988, and take place after Season 3. Why? Ghostbusters 2

Concept#4: The Timeline does not accept the assertion in GB2 that the Ghostbusters go out of business right after Gozer, because the Timeline accepts that most events of RGB happened. However, the Timeline posits that the Ghostbusters are shut down in 1986, and that two year gap mentioned above allows time away from Ghostbusting for the "down on their luck" scenario at the start of GB2 to work. (As opposed to the "pure" RGB answer, which almost treated GB2 like it never happened save for one offhand reference to Vigo and of course putting Louis in the cartoon)

Concept#5: Extreme Ghostbusters happened. It was controversial and not well-liked, but it continued the pseudo real time progression from RGB. It was officially licensed by Sony, Joe Medjuck and Richard Mueller participated in it, and did not contradict any earlier material. And hell, I liked it and it's my Timeline, right?

I'd like to thank the much-missed Matthew Riddle, Brian Reilly, Kingpin, and a lot of other people for their advice and help with this undertaking.

Take a look.

http://www.gbtimeline.tk
or
http://www.ectozone.net/gbtimeline.html

Then there's the Ectozone fan canon version of the Timeline, which includes fan fictions of the GBOmnibus community and Ghostbusters International:
http://www.ectozone.net/gbtimeline/gbi.html

Thread from the old board:
http://ectozone.proboards31.com/index.c ... 1088139363

PostPosted: August 25th, 2007, 6:39 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Fritz wrote:
Concept#5: Extreme Ghostbusters happened. It was controversial and not well-liked, but it continued the pseudo real time progression from RGB. It was officially licensed by Sony, Joe Medjuck and Richard Mueller participated in it, and did not contradict any earlier material. And hell, I liked it and it's my Timeline, right?

And it was AWESOME! (with the exception of one or two... or three episodes)

Edit: Oh my goodness, look at the size of that quote! You can actually read it without shoving your face up next to the screen! (I'm sure, in time, I'll learn to edit posts without first nearly editing the post above because that's where the quote icon was on Proboards.)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: August 25th, 2007, 11:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

In case you were wondering, Rob:

Your post got sent to a new topic in the Animation section. I needed to get an EGB topic started anyway, it makes more sense there, and it let me get to try out the Topic Merging button.

:)

PostPosted: September 17th, 2007, 4:24 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Fritz, I must confess to being a tad confused. Why is that Rose Rivera's future romantic encounter is not listed in the timeline?

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: September 17th, 2007, 4:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

:oops:

I probably got lazy and forgot to take a note of when they met; off the top of my head I'm not sure when that was.

Either tell me or remind me which story to check and I'll get that fixed.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2007, 3:25 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

They meet when they start college, which by my calculation would be September 2022 (Rose not having inherited her mother's inability to keep track of whether she's seventeen or eighteen). As you probably remember from this short story in which I am so cruel to Max Miller, they don't exactly jump on each other straightaway; but of course, this is where their relationship begins (it's definitely a revelation to Rose, but I really don't know how far along Anna is with discovering her sexuality at this stage).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: November 19th, 2007, 8:51 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I've done some rewriting and revision to the Timeline main page, some of which was probably way overdue--there were sections of the page that still reflected the days when it was only the movies and the two cartoons.

There is a little more detail about the parsing of individual continuities, and probably the biggest revision (and the inspiration for it) is mention of the upcoming video game, and how I plan to treat it. (Which is to say, not much different than Legion or The Return--use what I can, revise or ignore the rest)

http://www.ectozone.com/gbtimeline/

I also did some minor tweaking of the GBI version, but all it involved was moving the Eras list above the Canon Notes. Since the Eras are what people care about more, I found myself unable to remember why I did it differently in the first place.

http://www.ectozone.com/gbtimeline/gbi.html

PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 6:50 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Can I be really picky?

(Yes, I can.)

Natalie was actually born in December '99.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 2:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
Can I be really picky?

(Yes, I can.)

Natalie was actually born in December '99.

Fixed.
:)

PostPosted: December 27th, 2007, 12:58 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Location: New York, New York. Manhattan Island (SoHo district)
Zodiac: Scorpio
Fritz wrote:
There is a little more detail about the parsing of individual continuities, and probably the biggest revision (and the inspiration for it) is mention of the upcoming video game, and how I plan to treat it. (Which is to say, not much different than Legion or The Return--use what I can, revise or ignore the rest)

Which reminds me, I have some more stuff on that for an email that will have to wait until much later tonight.

Included are:

*A birthday retcon
*A short story revision
*An explaination for that videogame weapon that's driving you nuts
*An addition (not a true "retcon") to the environmental condition created by the Zodiac Lords.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2007, 6:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm leaning against changing much of anything until the game is out. I'm not opposed to hashing out what changes might need to be made once it is, but I'm not inclined to do any "preemptive retconning" right now.

It's just like with Legion: I didn't put it into the Timeline until the mini-series was actually out and finished.

I plan to address my concerns about such things in a little more depth soon.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2007, 10:53 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Location: New York, New York. Manhattan Island (SoHo district)
Zodiac: Scorpio
Fritz, you know I'd never deal with anything that I know wasn't set in stone.

Retcon was probably a bad word to use. I'll have that email finished within the hour, everything will most likely sound better there.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 3:52 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I think you'll find Emma Rivera is going to be born in 2018.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: February 8th, 2008, 11:38 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Capricorn
I have an idea about a potential change in the Timeline regarding the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon. I propose stating that the cartoon came out a year after the events it depicts, so it came out in 1998. This would keep the original ghostbusters from finding out the new team via the cartoon, and hey, the RGB cartoon happened in the Timeline, so why not?

Note: Yes, I know that EGB came out in 1997 IRL. This change is in regards to the Timeline universe. But it's up to Fritz whether or not it gets put in, so I'd like to hear his opinion.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2008, 11:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting thoughts.

At the moment, there isn't mention of an EGB cartoon in-story, so that could be done if we really wanted to. Could be one of those things explaining why Venkman still lived in LA most of the time before 2001/2002.

Early on I thought about suggesting having the events of EGB happen in 1996, but decided against it; I figured I'd pushed my luck with the 1983/1984 issue, and decided to accept concensus on this one. I wouldn't change the 1997 date now, though--after five years of fan fics would be about as difficult as shoving a Marty Stu Fifth Ghostbuster into 1991.

The other idea would be that, not being the big superstars the original guys were in the 1980's, they may not have had a cartoon?

I'd be interested in seeing what Rosey says before we do anything with this.