It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:25 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 811 Next
PostPosted: December 30th, 2020, 8:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
ghostdiva wrote:
Fritz, that doesn't really help me here... :(

Seriously though, Is that where you've landed on this?

Honestly, at this point I'm kind of dueling with more than one competing impulse.

On the one hand, we haven't seen the movie yet. We don't know exactly what's going to happen and exactly what the character's backstories will be.

But what we do know...well, can easily take us to some dark places. It's hard to make child abandonment funny--there's just no good answer I can see to the question of why they refer to Egon as the father Callie "never knew". That at least doesn't make Movie Egon look like some combination of scumbag and/or completely out of touch with his humanity.

Neither one is a direction I want.

Egon Spengler is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time...but I realized a long time ago that's probably more to the credit of J. Micheal Straczynski, Maurice LaMarche, and other licensee creators than Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd, and Ivan Reitman. After GB2 I just never found myself able to trust them again. I guess it's why I had to take a lot longer to warm up to the Video Game than practically everyone else. What we know of Afterlife is not helping a lot.

<sigh>

Sorry...I had to rant a little bit. I'd get my ass torn off at GBFans for saying anything like that. Suggesting that this is going to be anything short of the at minimum the second-best Ghostbusters movie ever made is not a popular stand there.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2020, 1:45 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I feel the same as you do! It feels so good to know someone else is thinking it too!

I am very worried about it, and honestly, I wish I could be happier about it, but it's exactly like you described.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2021, 7:13 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Random thought.
The west coast/ actor life is different than most. Maybe just the fact Egon paid child support faithfully is honorable to them, lol.

That's near minimum. Btw.

Another thought.

How would everyone feel if it turns out Callie is an illegitimate child. But we find out Egon and Janine did get married and that Elton was the son of E/J?

Maybe he is doing something more traditional in life, like an orthopedic surgeon or something and didn't need or want the house? Idk, just a thought. Maybe he shows up at the end ready to meet his half sister.

Trying to get that lemonade palatable, lol

PostPosted: January 10th, 2021, 11:52 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
I won't lie - I have had the occasional wobble myself about all of this.

But I just don't think Egon would have left that house to someone he didn't know and trust to some degree. I mean, he's not stupid. He knows what's at that house, and yeah, I know it's all hidden away but still. He knows the danger in that area. He knows what's probably on the horizon so he'd leave it to someone he trusts to deal with the potential fallout at some point. Or, at least someone who already knows who to call when the fallout does happen.

This is what in my opinion blows the theory out of the water that a) Callie doesn't know her father and he doesn't know her, and that b) Callie's mother was either someone random he knocked up while in college or someone he donated sperm to (which, IMO, is the most stupidest theory of them all, because sperm donation should by all accounts be anonymous so how he even knew about Callie let alone chose her among the probably hundreds/thousands of other kids he's fathered through donation just does. not. make. any. sense what-so-freaking-ever!!!!)

'They have left everything they know and moved to a small town in Oklahoma after inheriting property from the father she didn’t know.' - Vanity Fair article

Yes, it does imply that Egon was a deadbeat dad. But it also could imply that Egon passed away when she was small and she never got a chance to get to know him.

First, let's go with the deadbeat dad theory, which I suppose is how you would take that article's sentence in the most literal sense.

Let's say he hooked up with some random student while he was in college or whatever, and knocked her up. He didn't know this kid existed until all of a sudden this random science chick who dug his epidiymus makes all the effort to find him waaaay out in the middle of nowheresville Oklahoma to tell him has a daughter somewhere, and he decides not to bother getting to know his daughter at all, leaves her and her mother in Chicago while he continues to do his thing, and then when he's writing his will he remembers to leave his house to her, filled to the brim with all his ghostbusters stuff, which conveniently is located very close to a mine which is suspiciously named for a guy who he knows opened a door to another dimension bringing in a deity that almost destroyed the City of New York. Gee, thanks, Dad. :lol:

According to this theory, if Egon was an a-hole who wasn't going to be a part of his kid's life voluntarily, why would he then decide to leave all of his belongings to her, including pretty dangerous equipment that he knew shouldn't be in the hands of people that he didn't trust or know well, on a site that has the potential to be ground zero for some pretty dangerous shit going down at some point? How would he know that this child of his won't sell all the crap they find and move elsewhere with the profits? How does he know that this child of his will be able to deal with the potential fallout from whatever might happen in Summersville?

Egon has taken the time and effort to locate this mine, buy property close to it so that he could keep an eye on it, hide all of his equipment on the property in case of emergency, and now he is just handing it over to someone he doesn't know when Ray Stantz is a friend, ex-colleague, and would know exactly what to do in the situation Egon has spent so much time monitoring. If Egon was alone, had no close family that he knew of, although knew he had an illegitimate child somewhere but didn't bother to get to know her, why would he chose to leave all of that to her rather than to Ray, a trusted friend and ex-colleague?

Now, let's go with the theory that Egon sadly passed away when Callie was too young to know her father.

There's two versions of this theory. Version 1) Callie's mother was a random ex-student of his from back in University. A science chick who was interested in his epididymus. They hook up again sometime after the events of GB2 while Callie is very young, long enough for Egon to get to know his daughter a little. But he passes away while she's still a young child.

This is where Callie's mother's role becomes important. Again, if he didn't trust Callie to take on the responsibility of that house and everything inside it, then he'd leave it to Ray, wouldn't he? He would have to also trust this science chick with the contents of the house, enough to assist Callie with it after he's passed away. He expects Callie's mother to be there with Callie after he's passed away. She's probably younger than him, after all. I think it's the same with most families. You'd expect the other half to be around to help deal with things after you pass on. But if this science student knows nothing about the business, knows nothing about all the equipment, why again would he leave the house to them, placing them both potentially in a hell of a lot of danger?

Unless... Version 2) Callie's mother was Janine Melnitz. Former ghostbusters secretary. Someone who knows the business like the back of her hand. Someone who knows what the equipment does, and how it is used. Someone who knows when the shit does go down, who they would need to call... If Janine was bringing up their child, he'd expect her to have told Callie about the business, maybe let them know about the house and its secrets, and most importantly, let Callie know who to call when the proverbial hits the fan.

Why Janine is absent or didn't do any of this is unclear. Maybe she was taken ill. Maybe she's incapacitated somehow. Maybe she was targeted by someone. Maybe people think she's crazy and sent her to a retirement home because she's talking about strange mines in the middle of Oklahoma somewhere...

The fact remains that IMO Egon would know Callie existed, know her well enough to trust her (or someone she knows well) with dangerous equipment and the potential fallout from the mine's activity, otherwise he'd have passed that house onto someone else.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2021, 3:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I've spent a few days thinking if there's anything I want to add to that post...not sure I really can, but here I go anyway.

I realize there's lots of people out there who will be happy with anything with the Ghostbusters name on it as long as (most) of the original four are in it somewhere. I'm not one of them.

Maybe it's age. Maybe it's being an amateur writer myself. Those together create dangers of "I've seen something like this done better" and "This sure the hell isn't the way I'd want to do it."

Again, I hope that Afterlife isn't going to basically assassinate Egon's character. I just expect that's exactly what's going to happen.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2021, 12:27 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

So basically, we all feel like there's no obvious plot of the story that will have everything end up satisfactorily?

Dang.

I was really hoping someone would think of something.

And Fritz, as far as fans that'd be happy with anything in the original universe, but I am also not one of them. I WANT to be happy with it, but I don't want my lifelong hero to end up a guy that refused to raise his kid for whatever reason.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2021, 8:55 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

So I was reading some thoughts on this on Facebook. And it got me thinking about it, and I came up with a good idea that would be satisfactory to me.

What if Callie gets this mysterious inheritance letter in the mail, from a father she never met, said to be Egon, because she was adopted as a baby.

So, she needs the house and moves to Summerville, which is still secretly run by the Gozer cult.

The family then finds all of the things. The kids work on being GBs, but Callie is kidnapped by the cult.

She then finds out that the cult sent her the letter of inheritance and Egon is NOT her father.

They explain to her that her parents are Louis and Dana, from the union on the rooftop. Dana gave her up.

But the cult knew about her and had been keeping an eye on her her whole life. Once Egon passed, and the house was vacant, Louis showed up to do legal stuff, and once he was there in the clutches of the energy of the mine, he was repossessed and sent the letter to Callie to lure her there.

She is wanted to be an offering to reopen the gateway for Gozer.

The kids figure things out and call the guys, who save their mother, and Callie gets to meet her birth mom.

I like this soooooo much better!

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2021, 9:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Here we go again

New penciled in release date is November 11,2021.

At this point, it's probably light pencil.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2021, 2:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Something new to chew on :twisted: :lol: Image

I found myself agreeing with Kingpin:

Quote:
I'm so glad these critters are set to be devious little shits. :) The chaotic energy they give is also kinda reminiscent of all the tiny Slimers in Adventures in Slime and Space.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2021, 4:52 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
you know how i feel about stay buff. so yes I can say I loves these little guys. hell I would want one as a pet.

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: June 9th, 2021, 9:18 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Various things talked about and revealed at yesterday's "Ghostbusters Day" event:

https://ghostbusters.fandom.com/wiki/Gh ... erage#2021

Quote:
Ghost Corps announced the Ghostbusters Day 2021 will take place live on Twitter Space and hosted by IGN on June 8. The cast and filmmakers of Ghostbusters: Afterlife will appear. On June 6, it was announced the event starts at 2:00pm Pacific Time/4:00pm Central/5:00pm Eastern/10:00pm British Summer Time and will feature Ivan and Jason Reitman, Carrie Coon, Finn Wolfhard, McKenna Grace, Celeste O'Connor and Logan Kim.
To start the day off, the Ghostbusters social media accounts released a 40 second pre-recorded introduction video with Ivan Reitman and Bill Murray video conferencing and poking fun at Ghostbusters Day.
In celebration of Ghostbusters Day, four exclusive T-shirts featuring the Mini Pufts went on sale on the Ghostbusters official online store in unisex and youth sizes for $24.95 and $19.95 respectively. They will only be available in the month of June 2021.
Hasbro went live with Plasma Series Classic Figures glow in the dark figure pre-orders of Peter, Ray, Egon, and Winston at 2:30 pm PST on Hasbro Pulse.
Hasbro went live with Plasma Series Mini Pufts pre-orders on Hasbro Pulse.
Hallmark revealed its Mini Pufts Keepsake Ornament.
A minute long featurette on how Jason Reitman and Production Designer Francois Audouy used Sony's Spatial Reality Display technology was released.
During the Twitter Space discussion:
2:52: It was revealed the character Logan Kim portrays is named Podcast and Celeste O'Connor's character is named Lucky.
6:22: Jason Reitman commented, "I saw a young girl in the middle of a field with a Proton Pack and I imagined a young man discovering the Ecto-1 and it not working, and then Tokyo drifting through that field."
7:43: Ivan Reitman commented it was the greatest honor and thrill for one his children to carry on a story he helped start.
9:00: Finn Wolfhard talks about how he self-taped an audition in his room in Vancouver and put it together it was a Ghostbusters movie when he was asked to come to Jason Reitman's home in Los Angeles. McKenna Grace talked about working in Atlanta when she auditioned and in the scripts, their roles were just "Boy" and "Girl" but she found it in the chemistry reads and read with Logon Kim, and a Proton Pack was there.
12:35: Jason Reitman clarified the movie is not set at all in New York and had to be about a family discovering who they were and them going to someplace that didn't look like the first movie. Like going into a parent or grandparent's attic or basement and finding something about them.
15:20: Celeste O'Connor's character is named Lucky and she's always wanted to leave her home town then meets the new kid at the diner she works at, Trevor. She gets involved in his story and finds her courage and determination and adventure she's always been looking for.
16:44: Ecto-1 certainly plays an important role in the movie. We discover the things that have changed about it in the course of the movie.
20:17: Some green screen was done for the more dangerous parts of the Ecto-1 chase scene. The gunner seat came when they started thinking about what happens to the equipment. The gunner seat put ghostbusting in motion.
21:40: McKenna Grace comments on getting to sit in the Ecto-1 and on the gunner seat and calls it "absolutely magical."
22:14: Mr. Grooberson is a science teacher and Phoebe is a scientist herself who finds herself in small town in a summer school class filled with delinquents and Grooberson immediately takes a liking to her because he sees a like-minded person and becomes a mentor to her.
23:42: McKenna Grace had her mind blown when she first saw the equipment props. Finn Wolfhard emphasizes the movie comes from a fan. There is CG but Jason Reitman was adamant about using a lot of practical effects like the props, make up, sets, and backgrounds. Lucky was skeptical at first but over the course of it, she gets pulled into the adventure. O'Connor never did a big studio film before and just did an indie movie before moving onto Afterlife so she was overwhelmed on the set. O'Connor's father was a film of the movies and showed them to the family when she was growing up.
29:30: Carrie Coon plays a mom just trying to make ends meet and find resources to keep her family afloat and hasn't time for the other parts of her life. Callie shares a cynical sense of humor with Grooberson.
30:30: Jason Reitman comments on watching people trying on the Proton Pack for the first time and the unique smile that happens. The Ecto Goggles can now take Polaroids.
31:31: McKenna Grace remembers she cried when she tried on the Proton Pack for the first time. Finn Wolfhard remembered the camera test and she lost balance at first. Grace got strap burns because of the weight.
33:25: The Proton Pack mold used was built off one of the original 1984 Proton Pack props. They tried to visualize what welds, wire changes, slips, breaks, and cracks to show the age and use of the pack over three decades. The creatures were puppeteered on the set.
35:00: The cast and crew is asked if they believe in the paranormal and had their experiences. Logan Kim's character Podcast is considered the absolute believer in the movie and the heart of the movie. They talk about how Kim took one acting class, did a Fed Ex commercial, and auditioned for Afterlife with a self-tape. Kim was the most confident actor on the set. Carrie talks about hearing footsteps and doors opening at the farmhouse she grew up on.
42:39: Logan Kim could barely see with the Ecto Goggles on and hit McKenna Grace's face once. He also slipped and fell on set. It was hard to position the Ecto Goggles on heads like how Dan Aykroyd could. Jason Reitman gave Kim notes on where to look in a shot but Kim paused and told him he couldn't see.
44:48: Jason Reitman clarifies the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man will not return. The Mini Pufts want to watch the world burn and they enjoy it.
During the Afterlife discussion, several stills and images were released:
One of O'Connor's character Lucky talking to Trevor while she was working at Spinners Roller Hop.
Ecto-1 on the road
An image of a Trap opening
An image of Egon's thrower firing
A gif of Kim's character Podcast trying to pry open a Trap in class
Ecto-1 parked outside the Farmhouse at night

PostPosted: July 27th, 2021, 10:27 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

What do you guys think of the new trailer. Definite EGB vibes.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2021, 10:39 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Highlight for me, and probably a lot of the rest of the people on this board:

:janine: "Your father wasn't much of a homemaker"

I guess that doesn't necessarily clinch it that Callie's mother is exactly who it should be, but it's the strongest hint yet that she is.

Other than that...sigh...the last vestiges of hope that this wasn't going to be another Gozer retread fade away.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2021, 4:18 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTv40aQYdM

I don't think Janine is the mom, but E/J is acknowledged in some form.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2021, 6:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

TheRazorsEdge wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTv40aQYdM

I don't think Janine is the mom, but E/J is acknowledged in some form.

Yeah, I saw that caveat too.

But man, at this point, it makes it seem even more dumb as hell to not have Janine be the Mom. It's like "Ooops, we're already giving the fans more Gozer and old guys in flight suits who aren't girls and the original ECTO-1, we'd better fuck up something to keep them from being too happy with us."

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 811 Next