It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:39 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: December 17th, 2019, 8:33 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Just before the year of the Ghostbusters thirty-fifth anniversary ends, because I can never do stuff in a timely manner:

Ghostbusters: Thirty Five Years Later
June 8, 2019--Timeline Year Thirty-Seven
The present is the transition point between the past and the future; and perhaps this is more true than ever. As Egon, Janine, and many other Ghostbusters past and present celebrate GBI's success, two similar looking vehicles--one a rusted wreck, one a state of the art high tech marvel--hint at the futures about to unfold in more than one universe.
----------
I get very meta with this one.

A couple of factors came together to inspire this story. The first was of course the Ghostbusters: Afterlife teaser back in January. Second was the fact that we're just two years away from the "future" Ghostbusters becoming the present day Ghostbusters of the Ectozone universe. Throw in a post a while back where Terrace asked about the transition of the ECTO-1 replivehicle, a few other ideas--including an eccentric new character--gelled together to create what I think is a fun transition piece, and an acknowledgement of the stuff to come in the "real" Ghostbusters universe.

Plus, as promised, no hobbits in this one.

I hope you'll find it interesting.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2019, 9:49 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Capricorn
Since John made a point of mentioning it, what does the Green Box do, and why is it up for debate if a franchise will have one on their Ecto?

PostPosted: December 17th, 2019, 2:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Terrace wrote:
Since John made a point of mentioning it, what does the Green Box do, and why is it up for debate if a franchise will have one on their Ecto?

Honestly? I don't know either. I lifted the joke about the Green Box pretty straight from Troy Benjamin's Haynes Ghostbusters Ectomobile Owner's Workship Manual. They don't tell us what it is, but hint that it's potentially dangerous in a "Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball" way. :roll:

PostPosted: December 17th, 2019, 4:59 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Another bit that jumped out at me, was the designations for the various dimensions. Since I was a bit curious, I tried to match the designations to the various continuities.

681 - Ghostbusters 1, Ghostbusters 2, and Ghostbusters Afterlife ("Main" movie timeline)
6886 - The Real Ghostbusters
6897 - Extreme Ghostbusters
1423 - IDW Comics
8016 - Ghostbusters: Answer the Call (2016 all-female team)
8932 - Ectozone (the one this site is based around)
10211 - Nodus' origin timeline
7545 - The Riveras

PostPosted: December 17th, 2019, 5:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Terrace wrote:
Another bit that jumped out at me, was the designations for the various dimensions. Since I was a bit curious, I tried to match the designations to the various continuities.

681 - Ghostbusters 1, Ghostbusters 2, and Ghostbusters Afterlife ("Main" movie timeline)
6886 - The Real Ghostbusters
6897 - Extreme Ghostbusters
1423 - IDW Comics
8016 - Ghostbusters: Answer the Call (2016 all-female team)
8932 - Ectozone (the one this site is based around)
10211 - Nodus' origin timeline
7545 - The Riveras

I was wondering if anyone would get them all :D I think you missed one, though--1484 is IDW's TMNT Universe. ;)

I'd already used a different dimension system than IDW's two number-letter format, so I kept at it with all the timelines I wanted to mention. Only 8932 and 10211 had been previously established; all the others are new.

The use of larger numbers than IDW I freely admit comes from decades of Marvel Comics multiverse physics, and wanting to avoid numbers that are too low and thus could create the impression of being more important. It also avoids overlap with DC's multiverse physics, where there are currently only 52 dimensions.

I sometimes wonder what an IDW-style designation for the Ectozone timeline should be. Ive tossed around 89-E (semi-congrous to 8932), 68-T, 68-Z, 86-Z (similar to the RGB and EGB timelines, since they form the basis of mine) but I doubt I'll ever "need" to establish it.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2019, 6:14 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

I figured that was what 1484 meant. I was just limiting my list to Ghostbuster universes.

One thing I hope is that those replivehicles are affordable for franchises, as GBI's operations have made Venkman quite rich enough, thank you.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2019, 11:16 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
Hey, that's great to see a nod to the Collinsverse (I mean 7545!) and particularly the ship that caused me to a) want to write more stories after our virtual season and b) believe in true love again.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2019, 4:01 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Hey, that's great to see a nod to the Collinsverse (I mean 7545!) and particularly the ship that caused me to a) want to write more stories after our virtual season and b) believe in true love again.

You and Rosey are doing some great work, and I realized I had a great opportunity to acknowledge it. I admit Deek serves as an author mouthpiece in this story, what with all of her criticisms of IDW and GB2. So I didn't want to have everything she said be crabby. :lol:

PostPosted: December 20th, 2019, 12:48 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I got all comfy and ready to read one of your epic fics... I didn't realize it was a short prequel, lol. Oh well, I will eagerly await the next part!

PostPosted: December 20th, 2019, 7:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
I got all comfy and ready to read one of your epic fics... I didn't realize it was a short prequel, lol. Oh well, I will eagerly await the next part!

Well, at least one of the stories it's a prequel to is already out :lol:

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2019, 4:44 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
But I already read that one.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2020, 9:06 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

And with it now being January 1st, either the changeover has occurred, or the Ghostbusters are waiting for the relevant government office to open so they can take care of the paperwork.

No doubt the new Ecto-1 will carry Roland's team out on a bust later today, with Dr. Stantz driving the car.

Last edited by Terrace on January 1st, 2020, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2020, 2:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Terrace wrote:
No doubt the new Ecto-1 will carry Roland's team out on a bust later today, with Dr. Stantz driving the car.

Fixed that for you :lol:

PostPosted: January 1st, 2020, 3:33 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Fritz wrote:
Terrace wrote:

Fixed that for you :lol:

Ah, yes. My mistake. :lol:

PostPosted: January 10th, 2020, 11:26 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Can't believe I missed this-found it while browsing FF.net. So I'm semi-retired now? Cool! Love to keep up on the crew! And I've already talked the hubby into seeing Afterlife with me when it hits the theater.