It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:51 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1420 Next
PostPosted: May 7th, 2019, 12:26 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Alarmingly, it has now been almost three years since the first episode of The Riveras introduced the world to Adela Gaspar and Donatella the sea turtle (though almost nobody in the world noticed), both of whom are mentioned here on the same Cozumel beach where, apparently, all love-struck young Riveras take their soulmates to give them a damn good seeing-to. (I reiterate, this was also the setting for Jake's first attempt at an overall epilogue, but it never seems to end there!)

This time, Donatella doesn't wander into the intimate two-shot because (as explained) it is neither her season nor her life-stage to breed (though both of these are crazy long when they do happen) - and I guess it isn't Kevin and Oscar's time to breed either! ;) They can be choosy about that; in fact, they have to be. I was just thinking about whether we've seen a pregnancy announcement that wasn't a surprise, and of course, Rose is still on the way when this story takes place (in my head-canon she was planned, though this will never be made official, bar any additions to future stories that I really cannot imagine us making).

I don't think that we'll ever get confirmation of what Carl really thinks about the whole 'gay male nurse' thing - but of course, as this story reminds us, he let everyone know at the going-away party in no uncertain terms that he's learning to modify his views...

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: May 8th, 2019, 7:18 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
Fritz wrote:
Just kidding around, of course.

They say there's many a true word spoken in jest, and they're absolutely right. The thing about kidding around is, you might end up getting closer to the truth than you ever imagined possible, though perhaps not in the way you meant. After we've taken our final six-year step back in time to finish off Eduardo and Kylie's Eurotrip, there will be an announcement about what's coming up this summer that should shed a little light on what I mean by that, but not too much light of course!

PostPosted: May 8th, 2019, 12:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Fritz wrote:
Just kidding around, of course.

They say there's many a true word spoken in jest, and they're absolutely right. The thing about kidding around is, you might end up getting closer to the truth than you ever imagined possible, though perhaps not in the way you meant.

I'm not going to hazard to guess, but you have laid (pardon the phrase) some potential groundwork that could pay off with Oscar and Kevin procreating. Just not in the usually absurd literal mpreg way.

Though seeing the look on Carl and maybe even Venkman's faces... :lol:

PostPosted: May 26th, 2019, 6:36 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Eduardo and Kylie's European Vacation, Episode 8 - Cologne, by me.

With their European vacation coming to an end, Eduardo and Kylie go for one last wander.

Like the conclusion of Jake's Snapshots series last time, this episode is a little shorter than others in the series - only not as much shorter (about half the length of a regular episode). I think by this time I'd really run out of plots, but I had a few other things to share instead. (I've been to Cologne.)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: May 27th, 2019, 4:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
Eduardo and Kylie's European Vacation, Episode 8 - Cologne, by me.

With their European vacation coming to an end, Eduardo and Kylie go for one last wander.

Like the conclusion of Jake's Snapshots series last time, this episode is a little shorter than others in the series - only not as much shorter (about half the length of a regular episode). I think by this time I'd really run out of plots, but I had a few other things to share instead. (I've been to Cologne.)

Nice little inversion of previous chapters--after all those Romance countries where Eduardo's fluency in Spanish helped them navigate, this time it's Germany and Kylie's the one who has some knowledge of it.

Yeah, cats can hold grudges. But feeding them does make things better . :lol:

And some funny Venkman Moments there during the phone call.

Another good story.
:)

PostPosted: May 29th, 2019, 5:32 am 
Doberman
Doberman

There was I thinking there were no more references to events from my own life in this particular series, and then a cheeky little one slips in at the last moment as I'm taken back to the day when one of my stupid friends from primary school told a living statue in Dorchester (England) the same thing that the silly ten-year-old boy told a living statue in Cologne. In both cases, I'm 99.9% certain that the statement was an utter lie!

I was already well aware that a little more of Rosey's life was due to feature in this series, and Eduardo is definitely right that you couldn't make the hairdressing thing up, because I know that it did actually happen to Rosey in Cologne. Man, good times... or weird times, anyway. Collinsverse aficionados will undoubtedly have spotted the parallel between "das Telefon ist kaput" in this story and "el telefono esta muerto" in the penultimate chapter of Snapshots, and I really must set the record straight at this point by admitting that both references are based entirely on Rosey's experiences in Germany, and hopefully it's time at last for her to reveal how the younger sister of the boy with very bouncy genitals from my secondary school class who inspired Michael's naked locker room walk was involved in the whole thing.

That phone conversation with Beth and Peter is a nice way to link back to the rest of the Collinsverse as we prepare to rejoin it. Obviously Peter is having the same thoughts as Jessica about Kevin and Oscar at this stage in the proceedings, and also like Jessica, he's inclined to make a joke out of it without realising just how accurate he's being, which is a nice parallel between father and daughter.

I think perhaps Peter would have been disappointed to know that he'd missed out by only a few moments on Eduardo and Kylie talking about their walk up Butt Lane, for surely he'd love to have said something along the lines of "Kevin and Oscar are probably taking a walk up Butt Lane right now!" I was guilty of making this joke myself when the Haworth story was released, as Kevin and Oscar were actually due to indulge in their first "walk up Butt Lane" in the next Snapshot. However, from a timeline point of view, there are just over four years between Eduardo and Kylie's walk up Butt Lane and Kevin and Oscar's first "walk up Butt Lane", so perhaps the reference isn't really all that relevant. (I do think it's funny, though!)

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on July 2nd, 2019, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2019, 9:24 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Thanks as always for the comments, guys. 8-)

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
I was already well aware that a little more of Rosey's life was due to feature in this series, and Eduardo is definitely right that you couldn't make the hairdressing thing up, because I know that it did actually happen to Rosey in Cologne. Man, good times... or weird times, anyway. Collinsverse aficionados will undoubtedly have spotted the parallel between "das Telefon ist kaput" in this story and "el telefono esta muerto" in the penultimate chapter of Snapshots, and I really must set the record straight at this point by admitting that both references are based entirely on Rosey's experiences in Germany, and hopefully it's time at last for her to reveal how the younger sister of the boy with very bouncy genitals from my secondary school class who inspired Michael's naked locker room walk was involved in the whole thing.

Well, we were on a residential school trip (the second of two that I went on, across both my GCSE years, to some extent because my German teacher pestered me into it). Of course I hung around with the girls in my year group, and we ended up sheltering from the rain at this hairdressing thing (snooty waitress and all) because the teachers had taken us into the middle of Cologne with no particular plans for an hour or two, on a Sunday, in a downpour. So they sent us off to have some 'free time' in this wet city where everywhere was closed. I think there really are only two reasons why one would end up in such a situation: love, or bad planning by teachers. (I think it was the year before when they'd scheduled a boat trip down the Rhine and then didn't turn up for it until the boat people wanted to leave and the sixth-formers were shepherding us younger ones on board.)

As for the telephone thing, well, it was that guy's sister who reported the fault using the very same phrase that Kylie does in this story... and there's really not much else to tell. A bunch of teenage girls found it much funnier for much longer than Eduardo did. They've probably forgotten all about it now, but not me. Anyway, it's a cool(ish) coincidence that a brother and a sister inspired these totally unrelated incidents. Oh yes, and the payphone was in fact fixed the same day. Fantastisch!

Fritz wrote:
Nice little inversion of previous chapters--after all those Romance countries where Eduardo's fluency in Spanish helped them navigate, this time it's Germany and Kylie's the one who has some knowledge of it.

Yep, Kylie remembers about as much German as I do, it seems. I've gone on in fanfic (recently) and possibly in other media (less recently) about how she must have been pretty bad at French to drop it after one semester and then take more than half of 'Home is Where the Horror Is' to remember what maison means. In fact that was pretty horrifying to me when I was twelve, but I've since found out how differently learning languages works in US schools. I could very reasonably have said that Kylie took any taught language but French, and it happened to suit my purposes for her to have taken German (just as it suited that EGB writer's purposes for her to remember maison at a certain point in the plot).

Eduardo and Kylie's European Vacation was a lot of fun to write. I've done heaps of stuff on Eduardo and Kylie before, but never a whole series starring just the two of them, and it was a nice bubble for a shipper to be in. Sometimes I felt bad giving them real problems to contend with, but hey, I needed plots!

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: June 5th, 2019, 10:22 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Coming Wednesday 12th June:

The Riveras Summer Special: 'As Children Grow'

We catch up with the Rivera family after a time skip, taking us to a point in the not-so-distant future when changes are afoot...

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: June 12th, 2019, 4:39 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

A new three-part story, being released to coincide with our birthdays (first Jake's):

Summer Special: As Children Grow - Part 1, by me, with additional material by Jake.

June 2022: Eduardo, Kylie, Carl and Beth are now watching and helping the younger generation navigate through life's changes. Conchita and James are making college plans, Kevin receives some exciting news and Rose has a problem that requires professional help.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 5:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
A new three-part story, being released to coincide with our birthdays (first Jake's):

Summer Special: As Children Grow - Part 1, by me, with additional material by Jake.

June 2022: Eduardo, Kylie, Carl and Beth are now watching and helping the younger generation navigate through life's changes. Conchita and James are making college plans, Kevin receives some exciting news and Rose has a problem that requires professional help.

No surprise with Lucy's news. That had been set up nicely in the past.

Quote:
Eduardo let out a sigh and said, 'We're really gonna notice a difference on that side of things when Egon retires.'

'Sure we can't persuade you to come back, Kylie?' asked Freya. 'Egon's really talking about it now, you know.'

'I don't think so, Freya,' said Kylie. 'But maybe I could hook you guys up with one of the eager young scholars at the Parapsychology Foundation.'

'Yeah?' said Freya with a grin. 'Like one you want to get rid of, maybe?'

'You mean one of the many who don't know how to use the Harvard referencing system?' said Kylie. 'What a good idea.'

Now see, I no doubt would have dropped in something like "Well, assuming John or Edie won't take over for him, anyway..." :roll:

A couple of mysteries brewing here. Since this is clearly marked a multi-part story, I really can say "Looking forward to seeing where it's going." :lol:

PostPosted: June 14th, 2019, 5:19 am 
Doberman
Doberman

As you may suppose, Lucy's surrogate pregnancy was my main contribution to the status quo we'd be introduced to after the sixteen-year time skip, and I think it really was inevitable that this situation was going to happen at some point after Jandro, Lucy, Kevin and Oscar all went to bed together (and all that that implies, short of actual partner-swapping) in my Nottingham story. As this is a multi-part episode, there's still quite a bit more to learn about how Kevin and the gang reached this state of affairs, including just how the baby was made before it was put inside Lucy, and I really do think you'll find the unfolding revelations quite interesting.

Speaking of stuff that will be further explored in the next two parts, I don't think it's giving too much away to say that although we've already met all the new Ghostbusters we're going to meet (i.e. Josh and Freya) there will be more details about what's going on in the firehouse nowadays, and what kind of people might be working there.

I stand by the comment I made (orally) when I read the first draft of this story, which is that I like how it concentrates chiefly on the Rivera family dynamics and backs them up with a ghost situation - the very epitome of a spin-off being true to itself while remembering its roots. I also enjoy the cross-Collinsverse references (because I know off the top of my head where they all come from!) and I wonder who remembers that the person who first introduced Carl to the concept of bisexuality (or at least made him realise that real people in the real world could actually be bisexual) was Detective Greg Medavoy from NYPD Blue. On reflection, it's probably just me.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2019, 9:18 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Thanks as always for the comments, guys. I'm late to the party because (as Jake knows very well) last week, I had just enough energy to release the story (including updating the website with links and stuff) and give a birthday present before I had to go to bed and be ill for six days. Now I can't remember if there's anything in particular I wanted to say, except that Part 2 will be released on 30th June (which is the Sunday in the middle of our birthdays).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: June 30th, 2019, 8:45 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Summer Special: As Children Grow - Part 2, by me, with additional material by Jake.

Investigations into Rose's problem continue; Kevin and Oscar look forward to the future, and James and Conchita consider their romantic prospects. Meanwhile, the older generation are making discoveries about the younger.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: July 1st, 2019, 10:05 am 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
Summer Special: As Children Grow - Part 2, by me, with additional material by Jake.

Investigations into Rose's problem continue; Kevin and Oscar look forward to the future, and James and Conchita consider their romantic prospects. Meanwhile, the older generation are making discoveries about the younger.

Spoilers ahead (that tag is kinda wonky sometimes):

Interesting reveal that Emilia provided Oscar and Kevin's egg. As Oscar's half-sister, that does mean that Oscar's child will have some biological relation to him. Jessica's a lot closer, but that may have been the problem.

Jamie's new love interest is trans. Handled well as far as I can see.

Carl's reaction to Isabella...well, twenty years earlier it would have been a lot worse. He's trying, but I don't think that instinctive first "ungh" reaction to things not being exactly like he thinks they "should" be will ever go away. It's not optimum, but it's in character. Delightfully ironic that he's the old stick in the mud in the middle of a very sexually diverse family, all told.

Rose and the girlie mags: what this is hinting at is not a surprise based on the GBOT version of the character, who marries a woman in 2027.

The mention of someone named "John" got my attention, of course, but unless it ends up being important to the story, no need to go into more.

Looking forward to the continuation.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2019, 5:23 am 
Doberman
Doberman

As I promised a little while ago, those Wallance siblings are going to keep on popping up. A lot can happen in sixteen years, and clearly a lot has happened; you'll be getting a few more details next time about what's been going on with Oscar and all his half-siblings, then you'll get a heck of a lot more details in the future! Said details now exist explicitly in the Collinsverse thanks in no small part to the fact that I felt Emilia was the best candidate for egg donation that either Kevin or Oscar might be able to produce, and I'm very pleased with the way this idea has been rounded out and linked back to some of the old Wallance stuff from GBOT. Setting that line of thought aside for a few months...

The identity of John is not the only thing that's going to be left up to the reader to fill in the details about; the situation with the sale (or not!) of the Rivera house is also being left open. Having watched a fascinating five-part documentary about New York City since writing my contributions to this episode, it's now crystal clear to me that Kevin and Oscar would be absolutely crazy to attempt to enter the New York property market and should definitely go in on the existing house with Carl and Beth, but that's just my personal take on the situation.

Another thing I learned from the documentary is that every major construction project in New York City has a beefy guy named Michael in charge of it, so I was very pleased to find out I'd got that right! One thing that isn't going to be left up to the reader to fill in the details about is the end result of Mike and Ella's continuing quest to become parents, as quite frankly I couldn't bear to leave them in the state of limbo they're in here. Twenty years ago, Ella was worried about getting pregnant after a premature fumble on the sofa (and perhaps we now know why she didn't get pregnant back then, if Michael's always had his little issue) but now she's desperate for a child to fill her empty womb. Will she get one? Watch this space!

There is more to say about Carl and the fact that the children aren't the only ones who are and have been growing, but that must wait until next time.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1420 Next