It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:50 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 1320 Next
PostPosted: March 7th, 2019, 9:39 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
EGBFan wrote:
Eduardo and Kylie's European Vacation, Episode 6 - Barcelona, by me.

When Eduardo takes the opportunity to investigate his family history, he finds more than he bargained for.

Sorry it took so long to comment; I've been battling a nasty cold this week which left me not wanting to even get out of bed.

Another fun leg of Kylie and Eduardo's European Vacation ("Holiday Rooooooooooad...") I would imagine if I were familiar with The Mysterious Cities of Gold I'd get a little more out of it, but works just fine without that knowledge too. It's fun to throw in those little nods to something else you love, isn't it? :lol: (And, you know, being coproduced by DiC gives it a Ghostbusters connection after all...)

PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 7:52 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
As someone who's extremely familiar with The Mysterious Cities of Gold, I certainly enjoy the role it plays in this story and the wider Collinsverse. Even the most casual viewer of that show should be able to spot that Gaspar is absolutely right about Esteban loving little Zia, and count it as a certainty that the two would grow up and be happy. Indeed, I've been pretty sure for some years now that we've successfully identified one of their descendants in the present day, and he's been having a highly successful tennis career over the past fourteen years.

Speaking of descendants, the physical and emotional similarity between Captain Gaspar and Carl Rivera is certainly undeniable, convincing me even further that the Multiverse theory is very much real. The whole "a son must do more than his father" issue has turned out to be just as relevant to The Riveras as it is to The Mysterious Cities of Gold, and indeed I know the exact content of a comment I'm going to make a little later this year on that very subject, in relation not only to Kevin but also to James.

Eduardo and Kylie's musings about judging historical figures without considering historical context are extremely important, and have reminded me of an episode of South Park where the issue was explored in relation to Christopher Columbus himself. It makes me think of the absurdity of present-day governments "officially apologising" for stuff that happened hundreds of years ago - we should certainly learn from history, but we should always look at it in context and we definitely shouldn't feel personally responsible for any of it!

Also, I finally know how I could've made my own youth hostel experiences even more annoying than they actually were - by buying a whole fish and attempting to cook it!

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on July 2nd, 2019, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 8:51 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I have to say, without EGB to bridge the gap, I would never have imagined that The Mysterious Cities of Gold was set in the same universe as NYPD Blue. :lol:

Thanks as always for your comments, guys.

Fritz wrote:
I would imagine if I were familiar with The Mysterious Cities of Gold I'd get a little more out of it, but works just fine without that knowledge too. It's fun to throw in those little nods to something else you love, isn't it? :lol:

It is, and this seemed like a golden opportunity to do it really quite seamlessly (somehow I don't think, for example, a Watership Down crossover would work quite so well :P). Certainly you'd have got something different out of the story for being familiar with Cities of Gold; writing it, I was hoping that the element of learning with the protagonists would provide its own, equally(?) enjoyable experience for EGB-only watchers. Everything I wanted Eduardo, Kylie and the audience to know was in some way accessible via the Barcelona archives, even some rather obscure stuff - that was very lucky! :D

In the sequence towards the end (you've got to be expecting spoilers at this stage in the thread - here's one), Captain Gaspar doesn't so much fill in the gaps as arbritarily nod towards some extra information that I knew, in particular, Jake would like to see. Though this isn't strictly necessary for the plot, I also think it's a nice idea to point out that there's a whole story there which Eduardo and Kylie will never know, as is the case with all our ancestors (even, or especially, if there's no epic anime-esque series chronicling that story).

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Speaking of descendants, the physical and emotional similarity between Captain Gaspar and Carl Rivera is certainly undeniable, convincing me even further that the Multiverse theory is very much real.

This serves very nicely as the lead-in for something that Jake knew I wanted to say: if you haven't found it already, you can now see Captain Gaspar in our Character Index, and it's certainly worth doing even if you've seen the profile shot (which I captured myself, from the very moment in episode 2 when I first noticed the physical and emotional resemblance to Carl) in Jake Also Likes. In the index, the Captain Gaspar screen-cap is one that I found rather than made. Directly underneath him is Carl, whose image I did capture myself, but it was only the first shot I got from a section in which I knew he'd be in close-up; I was certainly not thinking about Captain Gaspar at the time. If I had tried, I could not have found or made two images in which those characters look more similar! :shock:

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
The whole "a son must do more than his father" issue has turned out to be just as relevant to The Riveras as it is to The Mysterious Cities of Gold, and indeed I know the exact content of a comment I'm going to make a little later this year on that very subject, in relation not only to Kevin but also to James.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing exactly how that goes. In terms of its source material, that quote comes during what I find to be a very moving sequence between Esteban and his father (who is in disguise), and I've always admired the sentiment. The Mysterious Cities of Gold is pretty much all about men; I thought it would be okay to take that quote and adapt it to be more inclusive for the modern day. ;)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 24th, 2019, 9:43 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Kevin and Oscar: Snapshots, Episode 7 - Down Mexico Way, by me.

June 2006: There are reminiscences and revelations as friends and family gather to wish Kevin and Oscar bon voyage – or buen viaje – before the two embark on their much-anticipated backpacking tour of Mexico.

Yup, the boys are finally off on their trip, but they're not the only ones whose lives are showing evidence of exciting and significant developments.

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on May 5th, 2019, 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 11:40 am 
Administrator
Administrator

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Kevin and Oscar: Snapshots, Episode 7 - Down Mexico Way, by me.

June 2006: There are reminiscences and revelations as friends and family gather to wish Kevin and Oscar bon voyage – or buen viaje – before the two embark on their much-anticipated backpacking tour of Mexico.

Yup, the boys are finally off on their trip, but they're not the only ones whose lives are showing evidence of exciting and significant developments.

Things are moving along. Kylie pregnant with Rose (unless there's a twist on Rosey's GBOT lore coming) and Jessica starting to talk with some boy who sure could be Hayden (unless there's another twist on Rosey's GBOT lore coming). Looking forward to Oscar and Kevin's adventures in Mexico.
:)

PostPosted: March 27th, 2019, 1:51 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Sometimes we'll be checking in with various Collinsverse characters, and this story is one of those times; we get little snippets of what a bunch of people have been up to, such as how Eduardo's fitting into his senior role with the Ghostbusters (as well as his and Kylie's obviously fertile and happy family life), and Mood Slime continuing to be active once Oscar returns.

Once again, it's good to see how Carl has moved on from 'Rage' and our own earlier fanfics. I happen to know that his speech, like my 'Logroño' story, took a little inspiration from popular Australian soap Neighbours; fortunately Carl is assuring everybody that he's moved on from those particular ideas, unlike the character in said soap opera, and it's always good to see him developing into a better person. Of course Kevin was embarrassed, but (as Carl was essentially telling us) it could have been much worse!

Fritz wrote:
Things are moving along. Kylie pregnant with Rose (unless there's a twist on Rosey's GBOT lore coming) and Jessica starting to talk with some boy who sure could be Hayden (unless there's another twist on Rosey's GBOT lore coming).

There are a few twists on GBOT lore to come, but I've hung onto everyone and everything I'm particularly attached to, including and excluding people and things I didn't dream we'd get up to when we started with our Virtual Season set in 1998. Ooh, aren't I mysterious...

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 27th, 2019, 6:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
Ooh, aren't I mysterious...

Surprising people once in a while is fun... :twisted:

PostPosted: March 28th, 2019, 8:04 am 
Doberman
Doberman

'Cute-Faced Blond Boy' and Eduardo and Kylie's second child are now listed and pictured in our Character Index under their true names, so you can find them easily if you know what those names are. (Here's a hint: you do know!) Incidentally, I'm very pleased to read that "sure could be" comment about the possible identity of 'Cute-Faced Blond Boy' as I tried very hard to make sure he could be, with plenty of pointers from Rosey.

Interestingly enough, I did try to write a series chronicling Oscar and Kevin's adventures in Mexico but I quickly realised that it didn't really have any legs because it wasn't going to be sufficiently different from the stuff I'd already written about them, and all they'd really have done is travel between certain places in Mexico and have sex. (Highly enjoyable for the two of them, of course, but not exactly sustainable as a series!) I hope you won't be too disappointed to learn, therefore, that all the details you're going to get about the actual trip are in the story you've just read (including some that were salvaged from my failed attempt to make a whole new series out of it) and the next release in this series, which is also the last. In fact the next episode is my second attempt to write a kind of epilogue for the whole thing (the first one having been at the end of the Christmas Special) but again, that's not what it turned out to be in the end.

Indeed, even this story has something of a plenary-like feel because I thought it was going to be the last we would see of everyone except Kevin and Oscar - that was before 'Cute-Faced Blond Boy' found his way into the story of course, but oh how wrong I was to think that neither of us was going to write any more Collinsverse stories! I'm glad to hear it still works as a quick check-in with various characters, and we can certainly be sure we haven't heard the last of Kevin and Carl's relationship, including (as I keep promising) how James is going to fit into it in various ways.

Finally, I must just mention the fact that this story has an adult-themed midquel/sequel entitled 'South of the Border' on adultfanfiction.org in the "Archives/Cartoons/1-Through-F/Extreme Ghostbusters" section, from an author called Jake Collins. Like last time, there's plenty of Kevin/Oscar action (although much of it is rather sillier than last time, I must admit) followed by a K/O-themed chat between Carl and Beth.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2019, 2:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Interestingly enough, I did try to write a series chronicling Oscar and Kevin's adventures in Mexico but I quickly realised that it didn't really have any legs because it wasn't going to be sufficiently different from the stuff I'd already written about them, and all they'd really have done is travel between certain places in Mexico and have sex. (Highly enjoyable for the two of them, of course, but not exactly sustainable as a series!) I hope you won't be too disappointed to learn, therefore, that all the details you're going to get about the actual trip are in the story you've just read (including some that were salvaged from my failed attempt to make a whole new series out of it) and the next release in this series, which is also the last. In fact the next episode is my second attempt to write a kind of epilogue for the whole thing (the first one having been at the end of the Christmas Special) but again, that's not what it turned out to be in the end.

Lol...I seem to have misinterpreted where things were going yet again. Don't feel bad about that--that's all on me. :x

PostPosted: March 28th, 2019, 4:26 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Of course the good news is that I did eventually find some slightly different and hopefully interesting things to write about Kevin and Oscar's further, non-Mexico related adventures, as you'll soon discover. Indeed, some of the GBOT-inspired stuff that Rosey mentioned may well include the pair of them in ways you might not expect.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2019, 7:55 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Eduardo and Kylie's European Vacation, Episode 7 - Rome, by me.

As they explore Rome and its surrounding areas, Eduardo and Kylie befriend another travelling couple who seem to like them a lot.

This one contains references to one of the clean sections of my (currently only) offering on aff.org. One day there may be access to Eduardo's story about his school days on the website, but in the meantime, anyone wanting that piece of background will have to look at chapter 3 of 'Head, Heart, Loins' (where they may find themselves getting distracted, or possibly disgusted, by one or two other things).

Also, this story may be ideologically sensitive for some, as Christianity and the Bible are discussed and questioned a few times (but, of course, never ridiculed or dismissed).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: April 16th, 2019, 6:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

:o :lol:

Spoiler!
Eduardo and Kylie meet up with swingers! And handle saying "no" to it in about the best way possible. Very well handled, I thought

And some of the thoughts on religion were very interesting. I know some people who would, indeed, be offended by some of those ideas...but they are presented as just brainstorms, or thoughts not set in stone. But again, very well handled I thought.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2019, 5:52 am 
Doberman
Doberman

As Kylie might have been interested in a bit of side-by-side loving, you could say she ended up with the wrong Rivera, but then there are many, many reasons why she and Kevin were never destined to be involved romantically. Thinking about Eduardo and his journey through the cartoon series as well as the Collinsverse, it makes perfect sense that he wouldn't be interested in something like that under any circumstances, as his most intimate parts (both emotional and physical) have always been shared with others only under very specific circumstances.

I hope Max and Eugenie eventually found what they were looking for, although obviously it must have been a poor substitute for what (or who) they really wanted!

I agree wholeheartedly with Max's view on religion and Eduardo's speculations about the Bible, which undoubtedly constitutes the most extensive game of Chinese Whispers ever played. Thinking about personal interpretation has reminded me of the Bigfoot story I wrote for our EGB virtual season - there is a strong element of faith and belief in anything that anyone regards as solid fact, be it the existence of God or Bigfoot or evolution or the colour blue or anything else!

PostPosted: May 5th, 2019, 5:46 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Kevin and Oscar: Snapshots, Episode 8 - Cozumel, by me.

October 2006: On a very significant Mexican beach, Kevin and Oscar take some time to discuss the past, present and future as they prepare for the final stage of their trip.

It will quickly become obvious to anyone who clicks the link above that this final episode of Kevin and Oscar: Snapshots is incredibly short. As I mentioned last time, this is because it's my second attempt (the first one having been in the Christmas Special) to write a Collinsverse epilogue, and it's set on the very same beach.

Even though (once again) plenty more stories forced their way out of us both after I wrote this, it's not a bad time for Kevin and Oscar to sit and take stock for a few pages, as quite a lot will have changed the next time we check in with them, for reasons that will become clear pretty soon.

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on August 25th, 2019, 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2019, 11:34 am 
Administrator
Administrator

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Even though (once again) plenty more stories forced their way out of us both after I wrote this, it's not a bad time for Kevin and Oscar to sit and take stock for a few pages, as quite a lot will have changed the next time we check in with them, for reasons that will become clear pretty soon.

OMFG! One of them's pregnant!!!

:venkman: --I don't think that's anatomically possible.
:ray: --Well, theoretically, with the right kind of magical intervention...
:venkman: --Shut the fuck up, Ray. Just shut. The fuck. Up.

Just kidding around, of course.

More seriously, when I say something like "Looking forward to where it goes from here" I seem to keep putting my foot in my mouth, so instead...

Whatever you guys give us next, I look forward to reading it.
8-)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 1320 Next