PostPosted: January 24th, 2018, 3:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/FEB180387

Quote:
FEB180387
(W) Erik Burnham (A/CA) Dan Schoening
Thanks to an accident involving a knockoff trans-dimensional portal, some dangerous entities have been released from the ecto-containment unit... and the Ghostbusters will need help to recapture them all. To complicate matters, this issue also features an unexpected visitation, ill omens, and Janine fretting about the future... all this and more in Part 2 of our 8-part mega-crossover event!
In Shops: Apr 25, 2018
SRP: $3.99

Quote:
and Janine fretting about the future...

That's the only thing in that blurb that sounds like it has even the slightest potential to be interesting to me right now.

I hate being that...not excited about this, even with the real Egon depicted in the cover.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2018, 4:54 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Aquarius
I can understand how you and Nikki feel about not being excited for this series. I have to admit, I'm only feeling a fraction of the excitement I felt when International came out. There's also the worry that the plot might get too jumpy with the focus going between different teams of characters every other panel. I've seen it in the IDIC arc of Star Trek: Boldly Go. I can't help getting wrapped up in curiosity though cos I'm such a cat.

And before you ask, yes that line about Janine worrying about the future has me intrigued, though I feel like we're being baited.

After doing some thinking since last year, I've decided that if anyone should be asked about character development in future comics, it's not Erik Burnham, it's Tom Waltz.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2018, 10:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Spook Central preview of Crossing Over #2

PostPosted: April 13th, 2018, 2:46 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
Spoiler!
The fact that Janine is so worried about Peter really f-s me up, I'm crying ;A; I mean it was pretty much obvious that she was gonna be worried about him, as they all are, but somehow seeing it on panel really got me. (I also can't help but notice on past deliveries they barely spared her like a panel or two and now they're even putting her in the twitter sneak peeks a lot. I don't know whether to be alarmed or happy)

I know she's telling Jenny she's doubting about taking the job with Peck because it could limit the kind of freedom she enjoys in her current position, but -and while I find that to be a perfectly believable reason why Janine 'Answers the phone saying WHAT DO YOU WANT' Melnitz would reject a job, I can't help but feel like she's keeping something other from Jenny. My wishful thinking screams she might really not be OK with the idea of not seeing the guys every day anymore but... Jenny was in the firehouse a lot all the same when that was her job, so I don't really know if it'd even be a problem? Or maybe it's more of the symbolic weight of not being in the firehouse anymore, the metaphorical act of moving on, that makes her doubt. I don't know, someone ask Peter when he wakes up.

(BTW, is it bad that I find the fact that they skipped over the coma like it was no big deal simply hilarious? Maybe 'cause it's such a recurrent theme in fics I've read and it's always squeezed for all the drama it's worth to the point where I can't take it seriously anymore but here it was like 'Ah, yes, he's in a coma, but he'll eventually come out of it, no prob')

Also, WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH ENTITIES USING DANA TO MESS WITH HIS HEAD, GIVE IT A REST YOU JERKS, HE DOESN'T EVEN FALL FOR IT.

Finally, I always had the feeling that Holtzy and Egon come from similar places and I pretty much got it confirmed in this delivery
Quote:
"Look, when I was growing up, I didn't identify with people. Not really. I mean, I faked it. But I could always make sense of stuff I could build or fix, and that was home, OK? And then I met Abby and Erin and Patty and Kevin... and they got me. It felt like family. Changed my life."

I just... yeah, that's Egon too. Admittedly, she's more reminiscent of RGB Egon, but the overall loneliness of being somehow unable to connect to others and being more reliant on something she could figure out until she met her eventual team... it just really screams Egon to me.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2018, 4:40 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Spoiler!
For a tiny moment there when Janine mentioned the job offer and Peter's situation, I actually thought she might mention a guy who recently lost his life, and that if she was caught up doing Peck's work she wouldn't have been able to have been there for him when he came back from the dead. Maybe that's what she really means about having a say and being free to do what she wants? I don't know.

I wonder if Janine appeared in Egon's death dreams? I guess we'll never know.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2018, 6:49 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Poor Holtzy. Yeah, she's definitely got shades of RGB Egon in her backstory. And wow, Peter's coma actually was unexpected for me. Didn't think the last panel of CO #1 looked even remotely harmful. Also, those better not be all the pages of Janine "fretting over the future."

PostPosted: April 14th, 2018, 7:46 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Can Ron be fired already? Surely putting a work colleague in a coma is grounds to justify a dismissal due to gross misconduct.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2018, 1:30 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

nikki wrote:
Can Ron be fired already? Surely putting a work colleague in a coma is grounds to justify a dismissal due to gross misconduct.

SRSLY! Even Peck I can like and understand with the characterization the comics has given him, but Ron is just- awful. He's just awful.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 5:43 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Spoiler!
So the only pages of Janine doing all the fretting was just in the preview. Ugh....

At least I'm looking forward to next issue, when she gets to shush interdimensional GBs and smack Peter over the head for insulting Future!Egon's Harold-Ramis-esque weight.

And the interdimensional GB report is about the RGBs. Since Janine's the one writing them up for Peck, I'm both glad she included her counterpart as a Buster, while noting she doesn't have a niece like her (Duh) and sad that she notes her Egon to be brusque, compared to RGB Egon, who's slowly (emphasis there) striding towards his emotional development.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2018, 3:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Figures. It didn't come in at my store this week.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2018, 9:00 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

HauntedWallflower wrote:
Spoiler!
Since Janine's the one writing them up for Peck, I'm both glad she included her counterpart as a Buster, while noting she doesn't have a niece like her (Duh) and sad that she notes her Egon to be brusque, compared to RGB Egon, who's slowly (emphasis there) striding towards his emotional development.

Considering that the last main on-panel conversation she had with IDW Egon was the one on the Firehouse roof and his behaviour towards her since then has been patchy at best, I'm not surprised she feels that way.  

After some of IDW Egon's experiences (the experience with his close friend Eugene, his venture through Janine's mind and his 'death'), I'm still surprised that he hasn't really developed much as a character since the first issue.

Normally these kind of major events would have some sort of lasting effect; like RGB Egon's brush with death after falling from the World Trade Centre gave him a fear of heights and his experiences with the Boogieman as a child made him want to become a Ghostbuster.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2018, 6:55 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

So, the Prime!Egon card came out today and it says he's still processing the experience of having been dead intellectually, and refusing to do it emotionally and I'm here like 'That's...not healthy. At all' And part of me hopes it IS addressed (Though I'm not getting my hopes up for it) and also hoping if the breakdown does come, as it normally would with a person who's refusing to give their emotions the time and consideration they need, it's when Janine's around.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2018, 5:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Moonchild wrote:
So, the Prime!Egon card came out today and it says he's still processing the experience of having been dead intellectually, and refusing to do it emotionally and I'm here like 'That's...not healthy. At all' And part of me hopes it IS addressed (Though I'm not getting my hopes up for it) and also hoping if the breakdown does come, as it normally would with a person who's refusing to give their emotions the time and consideration they need, it's when Janine's around.

As I said to someone on GBFans, this is one area I can see some consistency between IDW Egon and RGB Egon. I think about RGB Egon falling off the World Trade Center in "The Boogeyman Is Back" and completely refusing to deal with the trauma...and it ate at him and let the Boogeyman return. I hope IDW Egon comes to grips before something like that or worse happens.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2018, 2:07 am 
Moononite
Moononite

Moonchild wrote:

Agreed. That or Janine confronting Tiamat. I can't wait for Janine's card to come out.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2018, 7:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I realize I forgot to comment on something from this issue:

During the file on the "86-R" Ghostbusters, they mention "There was no pause in their activities between the battles with Gozer and Vigo" or some such.

Leaving aside that there was an RGB version of the Vigo battle--the GB2 adaptation--that implied there was a "pause", which I can understand them doing from the standpoint of there not being any real sense of a break in the show itself (or even the actual RGB comic at the time)...

...At least this seems to walk back the implication in GB101 that the IDW Ghostbusters were the only ones who fought Gozer. I guess the IDW guys eventually asked the RGB guys about the origin of the multicolored flight suits after all.