Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Preview:

http://issuu.com/idwpublishing/docs/gho ... s_gr_03-pr

PostPosted: September 27th, 2015, 5:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Well, since #4 is coming out this week, I figured I better get off my ass and post my snark on #3:

Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters Get Real #3

We now return to the "Janine Melnitz: Ghostbuster" commercial break.

We start off with IDW Ray using RGB Egon's old space suit ("X-Mas Marks The Spot", recycled into the "Super Fright Features" action figure) to go through the dimensional portal to RGB Earth, where he get slimed and almost encounters the member of the RGB cast who didn't make the dimensional trim back in issue 1, Janine. IDW Janine thinks RGB Janine sounds awful--I think almost everyone in Ghosthead land disagrees, but at least IDW Janine heard her now instead of a season later. You think IDW Janine denies RGB Janine now, wait until RGB Janine has a personality amputation, drops about thirty IQ points, and starts sounding like a helium-sucking cheerleader. But the most important thing is that IDW Ray has heard RGB Janine mention Proteus--they know who their foe is now.

Proteus's poodle, meanwhile, is getting closer--he's made it to the IDW Universe, but it's a decade or so in the future: the Ghostbusters Cerberus encounters are Alan Crendall, Bridget Gibbons, Samuel Hazer, Gabriel Sitter, and their driver Geoff (who appears to have no last name) as seen in the Sanctum of Slime video game, which was written by IDW editor Tom Waltz. Crendall was last seen in GB#1 as a kid, and he's the nephew of Janosz Poha, Vigo's poodle from GB2. Ananke, perhaps tired of Cerberus wrecking hell in space and time, points him in the right direction, but not without a reminder of her assertion that "Proteus, you reeeeeeealy don't want to do this..."

(I can't help but wonder, though, that if this miniseries had been made a year or so later, if Cerberus would have visited a universe where the Ghostbusters don't form until 2016 and they're all women. Maybe he still did "off camera")

The four or eight, depending on how you count them, Ghostbusters have researched Proteus and are trying to come up with an idea. IDW Egon recommends proton grenades; RGB Egon no totally agrees, having created something similar himself. It's also this part that we have some more characterization fun, with the two Ray's excitedly talking about the improvements the IDW guys have made (since they've had as much as a decade or so to do it) and the two Winstons calmly try to keep everything from getting too crazy. But the best banter between dimensional counterparts comes when Cerberus shows up at GBCentral-IDW, and of course it's Venkman:

RGB Venkman: "Hey, other me! Try to blind it with your bald spot!"

IDW Venkman: "Winston, I think I'm about to kill myself."

Kylie activates the Red Sox trap (see GB#24 (V2#6)), which isn't powerful enough to send Cerberus all the way to the Containment Unit, but delays him long enough for the four/eight Ghostbusters to get their proton packs. Kylie gets another good moment as she hauls out the super trap, the one that looks like the one one of her toys came with, and manages to contain Cerberus.

Time to celebrate, right?

Hah hah no. Cerberus was defeated, but he accomplished his mission--he led Proteus straight to IDW GBHQ. This is bad. For one thing, Proteus is currently about twelve feet tall and must weight a ton or two, because the ECTO-1 he's standing on is being smashed under the strain. That's gonna play hell on the shocks.

We'll be back for the conclusion of the "Janine Melnitz: Ghostbuster" commercial break after these messages.