It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:59 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: March 13th, 2014, 6:50 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #28 (V2#12)

Or, Fritz Tries To Get Caught Up, Part Two:

We start with Mel at the office of her superior, the same one we saw playing golf with Wally Wick a couple issues ago. Don't think I didn't notice the wanted posters for the Crime Lord ("Crime Busters", also the source of the Crimebusters article) and the Talisman Thieves ("The Unseen") on the wall. Mel's being interrogated about the concluding events of "Happy Horror Days".

The problem that's been brewing over the last three issues is getting worse--it's now in about a hundred mile radius and is starting to potentially affect people up to their early twenties--which means Ray and Egon have the colander on Kylie's head to monitor her. The "Boogeymen" are a common feature of folklore, and kids' belief in them can, ironically enough, make them more powerful. Top it off with the manifestations of supernatural activity in New York over the last decade or so (you may remember--they made some movies and some video games and some comics and some cartoons about it all) and we're basically looking at Boogeyman Armageddon on New Year's Eve. Because, you know, Boogeymen like to party, get roaring drunk, and call in from work the next day because of their hangovers too.

Venkman and Mel visit a psychic Venkman had on his show during the "World of the Psychic" days, and she gives us a name: "Rodefhiri". I was actually kind of shocked, giving Dan Schoening's penchant for in-jokes, that the psychic wasn’t Dalia from "Moaning Stones"

So...flash to New Year's Eve at Times Square. Lots of Stay Puft Marshmallow ads, one for Granny Candy, one for Pequod's (They need ads? All you have to do is turn around and there's one on every corner!) and one for Dewey LaMorte's new book about Wyatt Earp, straight from Random Choice. The four original Ghostbusters and Mel are there; gosh, I hope Mel is gonna be all right and not killed by the monster or something--I'm on pins and needles now. Also present in the crowd is Jim "Charlie" Venkman, no doubt looking for some way to sell some of his surplus stock--a bunch of ponchos with the words "Ghost Repellers" crossed out and replaced with "Vomit Protection" or something. The Doctor also appears to be in the crowd, but because IDW's lost that license he'll probably be too smashed to help against the Rodefhiri (Or, you know, he already knows the Ghostbusters are gonna kick it's ass and he's just here to watch the show) I guess they figured Kylie is too susceptible to the Rodefhiri to come along; either that, or she's having her own little private New Year's Eve party with Eduardo.

The Rodefhiri, Egon explains, is the first Boogeyman ever recorded. Soon enough, it shows up to join the New Year's festivities, and there's an immediate problem: it's powerful enough that it can even affect adults who look straight at it. Ray, Egon, and Venkman do, and are stopped by terrifying illusions: Venkman sees a giant cockroach (as revealed in "Drool the Dog Faced Goblin" and "Janine You've Changed", he hates bugs); Ray sees himself being possessed by Vigo. And Egon sees a different sort of Boogeyman, one with a giant head and a gaping grinning maw--the Boogeyman from "The Boogeyman Cometh" and "The Boogeyman is Back". (I just love this nod--the Boogeyman backstory was such an effective way of explaining how an otherwise all-logic guy like Egon could believe in the supernatural. Wanting to find out what the fuck it was coming out of his closet ever night when he was a kid is such a perfect answer.)

Winston manages a little better, before being caught in an illusion of Tiyah being dead; he shakes it off, and he and Mel start to trap it. The Rodefhiri starts to drain more energy from nearby kids, but the distraction lets the other Ghostbusters shake it off and they also throw traps--the combined power of a half dozen (more or less) traps succeeds in ending the threat. I know Egon's preferred method of dealing with Boogeymen is Ghost Bombs, but we'll take it.

As wrap-up, Mel explains to her boss that the individual traps were dealth with by separating them and placing them in...alternate facilities. We see what this really means: entombing each trap in concrete and using the ECTO-8 to dump them in the East River. They figured enough crap gets dumped in the East River nobody would notice, I guess.

We have another lead-in to "Mass Hysteria" with Rookie, Ron, and introducing Alyssa Selwyn from the Video Game. Stuff happens, blah blah--sorry these guys are still boring and/or annoying--we find out, not surprisingly, that Tiamat is behind it. It's still an interesting take on Tiamat visually; I may have to use it in my DnD games as the form she adopts when she has to deal with her annoying next door neighbor, the snake god Zehir.

Until next time (which shouldn't be long)