It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:53 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 8:06 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Sorry I'm behind again. Those darn aliens keep kidnapping me and sticking probes up places I really wish they wouldn't.

So...the X-Files Conspiracy: Ghostbusters tie-in came out a week early. I wonder what Jim Savage and Melanie Ortiz would say about this--sadly, neither were in the one-shot, nor were the characters they were based on, Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. I can't believe IDW missed this obvious gag. Even if it was just the Lone Gunmen meeting Ortiz and going "It's wierd how familiar she seems to us" or something.

I never really got into X-Files, I admit, so I'm pretty much going into this as a Ghostbusters story. Fortunately as a Ghosthead, the writer is Erik Burnham, who handles the Ghostbusters' ongoing series. Regular artist Dan Schoening only contributes a cover variant (which isn't the one originally solicited. Looks like Mulder, Scully, Savage, Ortiz, and the Gunmen better get on this one--maybe it's proof that Elvis is really alive if somebody didn't want that cover being published. Maybe they can also find out why Dan Schoening has started to draw the ECTO-1 with that stupid-looking "superslammer" garbage can on the roof rack). Art is by Salvador Navarro with uncredited assistance from Steve Kurth; Navarro must be a big fan of popular Marvel artist Greg Land, well renowned for his strikingly...well-researched artwork.

Honestly, it wasn't really all that interesting to someone who isn't following the "X-Files Conspiracy" plotline. The Lone Gunmen bullshit their way into GBCentral; one of them keeps hitting on Janine (fortunately for the Lone Gunmen rights holders, she isn't allowed to murder him for it); the Gunmen let something loose and it starts to tear shit up at GBCentral; the Ghostbusters get back, and after a round of blame throwing must work together and succeed in re-capturing the ghost; yadda yadda yadda.

It's not really intended to fit into IDW Ghostbusters continuity, I gather--Slimer is in a fish tank, but that's also a Video Game nod. There is an allusion to Egon's defense system proton guns seen in GB V2#6, but that's really about it. As a Ghostbusters story, it's basically what used to be known as a "fill in issue" even though it's Ghostbusters' regular writer.

There was one interesting bit, with Egon talking about time travel and mention "spectral energy as the glue between realities". That really is an interesting concept to consider.

Sorry to sound like I didn't like it; it was a fun read, just lacking in the depth of the regular title.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 3:04 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
I'm going to say this one what meh for me.

I'm not a big fan of the plots where someone comes in to try to prove the heroes are a bunch of fords. you I got the sense the lone gunmen where the one coming in with a chip on their shoulders.

Quote:
There was one interesting bit, with Egon talking about time travel and mention "spectral energy as the glue between realities". That really is an interesting concept to consider.

I thought you might like that too. that seemed to be the only nugget in this hole thing.

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel