It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:47 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: November 19th, 2010, 9:25 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
IDW is doing a sort-of crossover called "Infestation", wherein zombies are set loose on a bunch of their licensed properties at the same time.

Trivia note: one of the writers of the two issue bookend miniseries for the event is Andy Lanning, who did some work for Marvel UK's crappy RGB comics in the 80's.

Anyway, Cliff Roswell has an interview with the writer of the two-issue Ghostbusters: Infestation tie-in here:
http://www.stillplayingwithtoys.com/php ... =24&t=1285

And Proton Charging has some information and press material here:
http://protoncharging.com/gb/2010/11/17 ... -material/

It's looking pretty neat at first glance. The snippet of promo dialog is pretty spot-on character wise. I could easily hear Lorenzo Music, Frank Welker, Maurice LaMarche, Laura Summer, and Arsenio Hall delivering those lines.

And the hints about the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man escaping from the containment unit? Let the pantlegger bitching about "EEW! Taht sonds liek somethin they'd do n that dum cartoon!" begin :lol:

I'm definitely starting to look forward to this.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2011, 1:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz Babbles about Ghostbusters: Infestation #1

"I hate zombies. They have lousy teeth"
--Buster the Ghost

First, a note that I have not read any of the other Infestation books. So consider this pretty much a review of the work on it's own merits as a Ghostbusters story.

Spoilers Aplenty From Here On Out--

The Good:

Great interplay between the Ghostbusters. I especially enjoyed the banter between Ray and Venkman about the former's mathmatical...quirks. It wasn't something touched on in the cartoons or GB2, but Ray does make a couple of number flubs in the first movie (the wrong chapter of Revelations, the wrong year of the Tunguska Blast) so yeah, having the guy be a math klutz and leaving the numbers to Egon is a fun little quirk to the character. Well done for bringing that out.

The artwork is well done and fits the story well. Maybe it's just me, but there's almost a little bit of a classic EC horror comic feel to it; considering that EC also founded Mad Magazine, a mix of EC horror and Mad Magazine is just about perfect for the Ghostbusters dealing with a zombie invasion.

The Proton Pistol is a nice nod (whether intentional or not) to Extreme Ghostbusters and other places that used a version of that concept (A pistol-sized proton gun is seen in Now's RGB#7, but it's insinuated it doesn't have much payload because of it's size). More such nods, please--push the envelope of what Sony will let you get away with.

Janine is one of my favorite characters in the property, and seeing as how she was so badly abused by it in the post-JMS RGB and in GB2, I'm a little sensative to seeing how she's going to be used. She barely appeared in IDW's earliest stuff (two pages in "The Other Side" and a side story in "Displaced Aggression") but between last falls Samhain special and this story, I'm pleased to see her come out of the woodwork a little bit. Yeah, she's not a Ghostbuster. But she's also the most visible employee of the company who isn't a Ghostbuster, and has a strong connection to one of the four Ghostbusters (meaning Egon), so a little face time every once in a while is more than justified. She gets to banter with Venkman, do some cool stuff that helps shed some light on the zombie situation, and I loved how Egon didn't pry himself away from his own experiments until she started screaming at him, compared to his dismissive tone at Venkman's attempts to do so.

The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man escapes from the Containment Unit. "Ghosts escaping the ECU" is a story idea that has to be handled gingerly to be effective--since ghosts not getting out is pretty much the point of the thing--but still...it was the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man escaping the Containment Unit. Meaning that he somehow got put in there in the first place. The cartoon never explained how they had Stay Puft in their ECU either--all the fan theories are just that, theories--but at the end of the day, it's both a neat call-back to the cartoon a lot of us loved a lot (honestly, I probably wouldn't be in the fandom without it) and brings this beloved iconic character back into play (which is, I'm sure, the whole reason the cartoon did the same thing). The only thing missing was Slimer hanging around the firehouse and pissing off Venkman, and the cover for #2 gives me a smidgen of hope in that direction (lol).

Ray kept his ecto-goggles on most of the story. It minimized the usual artistic bugaboo of "Which one is that, Ray or Venkman?" which seems to be a struggle. I won't go into the rest of that rant right now, you've all heard it before, but at least it didn't happen much this issue.

The Bad:

The Proton Pistol didn't really have any effect on the story. I suppose it could be putting a Chekhov's gun on the wall for Part 2, though. And actually, considering that Winston is the biggest, strongest Ghostbuster, he's probably the one who have the least need for a smaller weapon. You give the little gun to a wimp like Egon (lol).

I'm gonna admit, some of the stuff about the zombies "processing" PKE and poltergeists that couldn't be contained didn't quite gel for me, but it's probably because I think too hard about such things. It led to some cool/gross/funny stuff, though, and I guess that's what's important.

Janine is one of my favorite characters in the property, and seeing as how she was so badly abused by it in the post-JMS RGB and in GB2, I'm a little sensative to seeing how she's going to be used. I guess it's part of my own amateur writer bias, but having her call Venkman by his first name grates on my nerves. She tended to call him "Dr. Venkman" in the first movie and scripts written or supervised by J. Micheal Straczynski. Gad, that's such a tiny nitpick, but I can't help myself. Especially when it could be another intentional nod to the cartoons (mostly post-JMS).

The Ugly:

Zombies, with their lousy teeth, blowing up all over the place. And I really could have done without the mental image of Peter Venkman going commando. (lol)

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 8:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz Babbles about Ghostbusters: Infestation #2

The Good:

Oh yes, the Ecto Containment Unit. It's big, red, and round, just like it should be. 88MPH got some Movie Purist complaints when they used a similar design--inspired by the one from the cartoons--but considering that the movie ECU blew up, and the RGB one was so well explained, I think this is arguably the most logical part of Ghostbusters lore to drop in something from the cartoon. As a major fan of the cartoon (indeed, I personally like some of the early episodes better than GB2's derivative plot structure and character assassination of Janine) this is very very welcome.

Great interaction. I think I have to agree with lots of other reviews: Erik Burnham has a great handle on the characters, and continues the running joke about Ray's mathmatical deficiencies from last issue "Egon does all the math before we do the crazy stuff" Venkman says, one of many great zingers he gets this issue.

Mr. Stay Puft. And his connection to Gozer is mentioned, and indeed seems to be the essential reason he was released. I guess I can be forgiven for enjoying this twist so much, because I used something along those lines in a fan fic once.

Zombie Stay Puft fight. The metaphysics in this story still don't quite work for me, but for something so viscerally awesome as a fight between Stay Puft and Zombie Stay Puft (no teeth to be lousy) I'll accept not thinking too hard about it.

The Bad:

Boo for false advertising. Slimer's on the cover, but not in the comic. I've pretty much fallen into the crowd that says "Don't put Slimer and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man in the promotional material unless they're actually in it!" Stay Puft, of course, gets a pass because, well, as mentioned he's actually in it.

The Ugly:

No idea, as yet, when or if IDW is putting out some more Ghostbusters stuff.

Oops...never mind...