It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:48 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: November 15th, 2008, 4:05 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I am kinda ill about this thing right now, so forgive the following post.

After hunting all over the place I finally have issue 2. I'm kinda sorry that I do though. This thing just isn't very good. If it had been free on the internet I wouldn't have finished it.

I know that sounds harsh, but seriously. The main thing I have trouble with is the plot! Now people can be creative and do whatever they want, but the thing I love about ghostbusters is that it's way out there but still completely plausible to the real world. I like stories that bend today's scientific principles to go into the realm of the supernatural, and this story just doesn't work for me because it can't happen.

I can buy the gangster possesing Peter and being able to use a gun, what I can't believe about this story is the fact that you CAN'T reasonably fix this plot unless they somehow go back in time. Their bodies are full of holes! Even if they get out of purgatory they don't have bodies to get back into, they bleed to death in the street and then they were eaten by the fishies. Not to mention the fact that there is just no fixing a car that has been completely submerged in water. So I don't like this story because it isn't plausable to the world of GB. And it is clear that the writer didn't care about that at all. He just wanted to make the story "darker" so he killed them off with no thought of the science that would be in place to bring them back.

That is why this story is bad and I don't like it.

Now, in other news I had a very twilight zone moment this week trying to get this comic. The comic shop that I had gotten the first issue from and set up a pull list for---disappeared! I went to ge tthe comic the other night and pulled into the shopping center where the store was and all of the posters were gone from the windows and I looked inside and it was completely empty! It was very strange, like it had never existed. I mean this was a HUGE store with action figures and toys and movie and manga, and then it was just gone!! I had to go to the town over to get my comic, maybe that is why I am so sour about it, I don't know?

Any other thoughts?

PostPosted: November 28th, 2008, 9:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Well, so, how was The Other Side #2?

I'm not sure if it was better, or I had a better idea what to expect after #1. I definitely think the art was better.

It's the story I'm still not sure about. One the one hand, the heroes have certainly been put in probably the tightest spot they've ever been in. It can be inspiring to watch characters you care about triumph over adversity, and it doesn't get much more adverse that being shot full of holes and/or evicted out of your own body.

On the other hand...how in the Hell are they going to get out of this? This situation is so bad it's gonna be tough to reverse in a way that makes sense. Venkman, at least, could theoretically evict "Fred" from his body and get it back--Ray, Egon, and Winston are dead and their bodies are literally sleeping with the fishies.

I will withhold judgement until this story is done, but this is gonna be a tough corner to write out of without dragging in some corny deus ex machina. I hope I'm wrong. I hope Kieth Champagne comes up with a twist that completely knocks our socks off and makes it all worth it...I'm just not sure I feel expectant of that, though.

And Venkman pulling the demon's spine out through it's mouth--"nine different kinds of gross" indeed.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2009, 8:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

There's not a whole lot I want to say about GBTOS#3, but for the first time I do have a comparison to Legion in which it comes out ahead:

Her appearance was brief, but I liked their version of Janine better at first glance. She was less dumpy looking than in Legion.

Not really anything else until #4 comes out, and we know for sure whether this series was worth it or not.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2009, 6:08 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Ok so I seem to be able to get on today. :P

I'm kinda surprised you didn't have more to say about Janine in this Fritz. But it may just be because I have been thinking of this comic as a really bad fanfic and you may not be. I certainly thought that this was an instance where they put Janine in here just to have her knocked out? That felt very Janine hater fanfiction to me. Yes she was drawn well, besides the hair color, but her part was BAD, very hey we forgot to torcher Janine quick throw a pannel or two in there to knock her out.

I didn't care for it obviously, I don't care for the story at all honestly. The fans do MUCH better on a daily basis.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2009, 8:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, there's an old saying about "If you can't say something good ect ect" I was trying to be positive, and the way she was drawn was the only overwhelmingly positive thing I could say about the issue.

And we don't know what's going to happen in issue 4. If she gets to welcome Egon back to life by playing kissyface with him (just like in "Egon's Ghost") it'd make up for some of it, right? :lol:

PostPosted: January 6th, 2009, 8:42 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Quote:
Well, there's an old saying about "If you can't say something good ect ect"

Ehhh. I'm done with that, philosophy, good to see some people stick to common nicety. :D

But seriously, if it was a fan project I would've, but these guys are making money off this thing! The inhumanity! LOL.

Anyway, an E/J moment at the end could totally make things better! I might do a complete 180. :D

PostPosted: January 26th, 2009, 10:05 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Ghostbusters: The Other Side #4

Yeah, I finally sat down and read the thing.

I guess the best I can say is, I wasn't quite as disappointed with it as I was expecting to be. The main plot ended pretty much as one would have expected, with the literal Deus Ex Machina bringing Ray, Egon, and Winston back to life, but having Venkman basically make fun of the idea earlier in the story helped just a tad; as did having the Deus happen after the main story had been resolved; more of a "Well done, now We'd better get you back to life" instead of "I'm going to come in and solve every problem for you."

Some of the Judeo-Christian symbolism was probably a little more overt than I would have liked, but I also remember that we see the angels through Venkman's eyes--it's been suggested he was raised nominally Catholic on his mother's side, so there's the old dodge of "We saw what he expected to see. If it was Egon he might have seen Socrates, Einstein, and a bunch of abstract equations or Ray would have seen the Easter Bunny"

The cover was nice, though like some others I could swear it looked more like David Tennant than Bill Murray. I also think they should have used Egon instead, to make it more of a "Flip Side" in-joke. :lol:

No sign of Janine this issue, which was disappointing, but I found the scenes with Winston and his dead girlfriend more touching than I was expecting to. If there's any part of this miniseries I might consider adding to GBOT canon, it's this. And I did get a laugh at Ray calling her the "Coolest girl ever!" Well, of course Ray would think so. ;) I'm going to give Kieth Champagne the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up as just the sort of little referential joke that this series needed more of.

Final assessment:

I just didn't enjoy this series as much as I did Ghostbusters Legion or even James Van Hise's work back in the Now Comics days. The production quality was top notch, the art was good (and got better as the story progressed), and I do give them credit for trying something a little different. But it just didn't hit all the right notes with me, and while it ended up not being as big a failure as I was fearing at one point, I wouldn't call it a huge, raging success either.

For future miniseries, hire a writer that knows the characters better. Ask what Andrew Dabb is up to, for example. Or Tristan Jones, who has posted on GBFans and is practically chomping at the bit for a shot at this property.

Or call me.

Credit where it's due, though, for getting four issues out in four consecutive months, the only area that Legion stumbled very very VERY badly in. It does help a lot.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2020, 11:34 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Leo
This was a decent story, but I didn't like the fact the GB's were actually murdered. I can't really put my finger on why, I think it's because it became so trivial, like they can be killed and find a way to come back. Death should be a bigger deal than that. Ray mentions how disgusting it was that they were dumped in the East River - how long were they there? Shouldn't their bodies have been pretty damn gross by the time they came back to life? I also didn't like the use of God. Spirits and demons is one thing, but I'd rather God and Satan were left out. I did like the panel of the GB's bodies at the bottom of the river, open-eyed. That was quite creepy.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2020, 12:35 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Leo
Fritz wrote:
Well, so, how was The Other Side #2?
this is gonna be a tough corner to write out of without dragging in some corny deus ex machina

Wow, you saw the corner the writer backed himself into in the second issue. This smacks of beginning a story without an ending in mind.