It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:32 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: October 10th, 2007, 11:29 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
Zodiac: Taurus
This month's Toyfare Magazine issue 124 will have a big article on the RGB toys and the toon plus GB beverages from the 80's. :D
You all might be surprised to learn that they are also featuring a smaller article on EGB. As to how big the EGB part will be or what's in it I don't know yet. I'm hoping they cover the toys as we did not get them in Oz and I've only seen a poor quality advertisement for them on Youtube.
So guys keep your eyes peeled for it, it should prove interesting (I hope :? )

PostPosted: October 10th, 2007, 4:55 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Cliff Roswell let us know about this over a month ago--I should have this issue this weekend, and you can bet I'm looking forward to getting it.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2007, 3:30 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Oh he beat me to it. Darn!
Oh well I have been without regular net access for a couple of months now so sorry if to be slow in catching up with stuff.
I can't wait to get mine. I found out about it in July or August I think and have been dying (little joke there) to get it! :D

PostPosted: October 25th, 2007, 9:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Online version of the article:

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/ ... 184758.cfm

The JMS interview is on page 2, and it's a lot better than the printed version.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 2:49 am 
Doberman
Doberman

You said it Fritz.
I was so dissapointed with the lousy 3 page article. The ad for it in Preview Magazine made it seem like it was going to be much bigger.
EGB was only given a tiny mention.
The JMS interview is much better on the Wizard website. I cracked up a couple of times espaecially when he mentioned "Chicken, He Clucked." That ep is so weird and funny I always wondered what made him write it.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 12:46 pm 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

The interview with JMS made me chuckle quite a few times. I particularly love how he talks about the freeform writing that provided the genesis for many RGB episodes; it certainly goes a long way towards explaining just how the heck we ended up with story ideas as bizarre as "Chicken, He Clucked".

I also think it is quite satisfying to hear JMS talk about RGB so fondly; so many times, I see writers from shows like RGB look back on their work on the show with contempt, but JMS seems to have had a blast before the suits came in to mess everything up (seriously, sharp glasses scare kids? WTF?).

And, perhaps most interesting, he picks Egon as his favorite character. This is funny to me, because back when I was a young'un, Egon was MY favorite character too. I come her to Ectozone, and it turns out he's Fritz's favorite character too. Even the guy who runs X-Entertainment.com(a great website that offers humorous takes on 80's/early-90's pop culture) says that, while he liked Peter as a kid, Egon is probably his favorite Ghostbuster nowadays. Now it turns out that the head writer of RBG liked Egon the most too. I had no idea Dr. Spengler was so popular. ^_^

PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 3:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I kinda had this suspicion that Egon was JMS's favorite for a long time, and it was nice to see it confirmed.

I'll also admit that before RGB, after only seeing the first movie, Venkman was my original fave (probably a common sentiment, as Venkman is basically the star of the movies). It was the strong development Egon got in the cartoon, between JMS's now-confrimed regard for the character, and the strong portrayal by Maurice LaMarche, that made him overtake Venkman to me.

Maybe that's why I slightly favor the RGB version of the characters in a lot of ways. JMS RGB Egon is the one really running things. Movie Egon is just another one of Venkman's foils and straight men.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2007, 12:24 am 
Doberman
Doberman

I love how JMS describes Egon: He just sits there quietly while everyone else is running around screaming and yelling then he just comes out with a real zinger! :lol:
It's so true. I've definately come to appreciate Egon's humour more as I've gotten older. ;)
I think JMS is the very first Janine & Egon shipper. He seemed to write more episodes with an emphasis on them or at least a cute moment between them than anyone else! :D
I think Michael Reaves was the second. :)

PostPosted: November 13th, 2007, 9:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

JECrazy wrote:
I love how JMS describes Egon: He just sits there quietly while everyone else is running around screaming and yelling then he just comes out with a real zinger! :lol:
It's so true. I've definately come to appreciate Egon's humour more as I've gotten older. ;)
I think JMS is the very first Janine & Egon shipper. He seemed to write more episodes with an emphasis on them or at least a cute moment between them than anyone else! :D
I think Michael Reaves was the second. :)

Certainly a possibility. He was certainly the one who first solidly hinted that Egon was, indeed, starting to like her back in "Ragnarok and Roll". Up until then, in the cartoon he'd been mostly played as being annoyed, then tolerant of her. Then again, two episodes before that, he's seen eating dinner at her parent's house, not exactly something that implies total indifference either (and Micheal Reaves co-wrote that episode)

Anyway, that might be an interesting tangent for a different topic to take up :lol: