It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:50 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Egon And Janine
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2007, 9:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Here it is...the King of all Topics That We Can't Talk About On Any Other GB Board...and yet another legacy thread from the old board

Even upon seeing the first movie, I admit I thought Harold Ramis and Annie Potts' scenes together were some of the most quirkily charming in the film. It was something I'd never seen before--a "Nerd" actually having a woman (albeit clearly another "Nerd") actually giving him the time of day!

It got even better when the Real Ghostbusters started--the Peter Venkman/Dana Barrett relationship that dominated the movie was kind of made unusable by the fact that Dana wasn't even in the cartoon, so Janine became female lead by default, and thus Egon the romantic male lead--as the writers did NOT forget about her flirting with him in the movie.

They handled it pretty well, especially for a "kids show"--it was realistic for Egon to find it really annoying at first, and he did. But clearly it began to penetrate that she wasn't going to go away, and it wasn't just a passing fancy. I point to "Ragnarok and Roll" as being the Moment that he officially realized he was beginning to like her back. The Ghostbusters thought they were going to die. The rest are trading banter intentionally reminiscant of the end of the movie...then one quick shot to Egon, muttering one word to himself...

I think after that it was clear that, in a perfect world, they'd make it work. Of course, it's not a perfect world. Janine gets lobotomized by TV executives. Ramis tries to pair her off with Louis Tully in GB2...oh, that one hurt. It was like finding out your best friend's girlfriend had cheated on him and then discovering that his own father had set it up.

But SOMEBODY knew what they were doing. The cartoon vetoed the Louis stuff with stories such as "The Ghostbusters Live From Al Capone's Tomb" (Janine kisses Egon in full sight of Louis), RGB#16 (Janine blows off Louis as "Sweet but harmless") and of course, JMS's final RGB masterpiece, "Janine You've Changed" (It's quite clear it ain't Louis Tully she did that for, he isn't even mentioned. And of course, Egon finally admits out loud that he loves her)

And while EGB dropped the ball somewhat (apparently forgetting "Janine You've Changed' happened) they still put them back on track with episodes like "The Crawler" and "Back In the Saddle" Louis, by the way, is never even mentioned in this show.

You know how I have it end from there: they finally get married in 1998, have Twins a year later, and live Happily Even After. (As seen in Future Shocks they're alive at least as far as 2023)

Even 88MPH studios recognizes the potential and popularity of this relationship. I don't think that in itself played a massive role in deciding to make the new series a "reboot" set after GB1, but certainly relegating GB2 to the realm of a future that Probably Won't Happen makes a lot of us happy, and Andrew Dabb has shown a lot of skill with them so far.

Okay, there's the dissenting voice of Ghostbusters: The Return but Sholly Fisch set it after GB2 and is, by his own admission, not familiar with RGB. And even he, intentional or not, played into us Shippers' hands by having Janine decline going to the debate with Louis to stay and help Egon (and Ray) research Xanthador.

Basically, I consider this quirky relationship one of the single most interesting things about the property.

Post subject: Re: Egon And Janine
PostPosted: August 25th, 2007, 10:48 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Pisces
I agree on all points. It's a shame that's the last we'll see of them outside of fan fiction. Because I don't see 88mph Studios digging themselves out of the hole they'e built anytime soon.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2007, 8:11 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Ah, one of my favorite threads.

At least, thanks to Fritz, we know how their story ended!

PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 11:35 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
Hey check out my youtube video I made!!!! Dedicated to E/J shippers everywhere!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zbRwfpZLZ7w

First time using Movie Maker, so pardon the crudeness!

Hope you like!

PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 12:33 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
that pretty good

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: November 13th, 2007, 12:12 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
This is my You Tube video dedicated to my all time favourite couple... :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-1In6xTpFuQ

I hope you all enjoy it... :)

PostPosted: December 8th, 2007, 12:15 am 
Doberman
Doberman

I'm looking for an episode to match a scene I can't place...it's a scene with 'new' Janine (long hair, round glasses) hugging Egon up close...it's a tight shot of their faces and her eyes are closed while he's explaining something...I think it was at the end of an episode, but I can't remember which one -- (I'm having a brain fart)...anybody know?

PostPosted: December 8th, 2007, 6:04 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
rgbforever wrote:
I'm looking for an episode to match a scene I can't place...it's a scene with 'new' Janine (long hair, round glasses) hugging Egon up close...it's a tight shot of their faces and her eyes are closed while he's explaining something...I think it was at the end of an episode, but I can't remember which one -- (I'm having a brain fart)...anybody know?

It's The Copycat, just after Egon is nearly killed by a Terror Dog.
It's one of my fave moments 'cause he has a big smile on his face! :D

PostPosted: December 9th, 2007, 7:48 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Thanks! Don't know how I missed that...

That was a pretty good episode by the way, and I'm not just talking about all the yummy Janine/Egon moments...great plot and the animation was pretty awesome too... :P

PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 2:06 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Hi all! :mrgreen:

This is my first post...I had to sign up to join in the Janine and Egon Discussion.

I'm a definite E/J shipper. Old Janine...new Janine.. it doesn't matter. Any little "spark" between them and I was always tickled pink about it. The Real Ghostbusters was on when I was in high school, and while I thoroughly enjoyed the show as a whole, it was always the E/J moments that I waited for.

Now at thirtysomething years old, I enjoy reading the various E/J fan fiction stories, and rewatching TRGB episodes on youtube and also the ones I taped off tv (yes, I still have all my vhs tapes of them. ;) ) It's a nice little escapism from the "adult world". :)

and I also have to give a big "I agree" to rgbforever for mentioning "The Copycat" episode which is probably my all time favorite RGB episode. Great E/J moments, funny storyline and just overall a very enjoyable episode. 8-)

~Michele

PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 9:30 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Welcome to the board

I think you'll find you're in good company here.
:)

PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 7:47 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Fritz wrote:
Welcome to the board

I think you'll find you're in good company here.
:)

Thank you Fritz. :)

PostPosted: December 12th, 2007, 2:02 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Just another observation on "The Copycat". When Copycat changed into Janine and "she" was all over Egon, you could clearly see that he was annoyed/uncomfortable with it..but later when Janine hugged him after the terrordog incident, he was relaxed and smiling. I believe that deep down true soul mates know each other so well that they can sense an "imposter" even though they might not consciously be aware of it at the time (e.g. "You're not Janine!").

just my two cents worth. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 12th, 2007, 4:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Michele wrote:
Just another observation on "The Copycat". When Copycat changed into Janine and "she" was all over Egon, you could clearly see that he was annoyed/uncomfortable with it..but later when Janine hugged him after the terrordog incident, he was relaxed and smiling. I believe that deep down true soul mates know each other so well that they can sense an "imposter" even though they might not consciously be aware of it at the time (e.g. "You're not Janine!").

just my two cents worth. :mrgreen:

Something similar happened later in Now's RGB Vol.2 #4: the enemy tried to throw the Ghostbusters off by disguising itself as Janine. The other guys are shocked when Egon shoots her--because he wasn't fooled for a second.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2007, 2:42 am 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Zodiac: Aries
Is Now's RGB an official comic or book? I'd be interested in any that were close to season 1 and 2 style, particularly anything with E/J stuff.

I found a few RGB comic compilations on Amazon but there weren't any reviews or detailed descriptions for them.

BTW there seem to be a lot of E/J people here - that's great. :D

EDIT: Just noticed the board for print media, includine Now's RGB :? - n/mind