It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:01 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: September 1st, 2008, 2:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Spook Central, the site owned by longtime fan (and fellow Now Letter Page alumnus :mrgreen: ) Paul Rudoff has always been a great resource, but his latest update's brought us some nifty gems on the RGB scripts page I thought I should make everyone aware of:

http://www.ecto-web.org/~spookcentral/rgb_script.htm

1. The 1988 Series Bible (Marked Season Three, which would match the system which counts the syndicated episodes as either seperate or part of Season 1). One shocking bit: blames Ivan Reitman for the Junior Ghostbusters. Also the squickworthy nugget that Junior Ghostbuster Donald has a crush on Janine.

2. First draft of script for "Robo Buster". Quite intriguing. Egon's fit when meeting Smart isn't as good, but the rest of it's actually better than the aired episode--Venkman and Janine, especially, seem to have more of their real personality. Interesting to see what it might have been before Jansen and Menville ordered Francis Moss to dumb it down.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2008, 9:14 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
All that negativity about Janine just bummed me out a little. I never noticed that Egon never fixes anything, odd really. And I did like the explaination of Winston always having a tool.

I guess now we know how things went down hill. Thank goodness for those definant writers, or it could have been a REAL MESS! In stead of the Real Ghostbusters, oh wait I'm forgetting Slimer! and the real ghostbusters, oh well.

Three cheers for JMS!

ghostdiva

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 8:28 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I admit, I scratched my head some at the Winston entry. Not a lot of that seemed to come out in the show, ever, in my experience--it was Ray who did most of the building from the first movie onward (since, after all, Winston wasn't even around to build the proton packs, ect). Yeah, Winston did take over most of the maintenance of the ECTO-1, but he hardly ever seemed to come across as Tool Guy.

And yeah, some of the dumping on Janine made me want to build a time machine, go back to 1987, and smack the shit out of those guys. Well, just remember that history vindicated JMS--it was just two years later they went crawling back to him to beg him to fix the mess they made. Thankfully for us, he didn't tell them to go fuck themselves and wrote "Janine You've Changed" instead.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 2:23 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
Okay, so, this 3rd/2nd season bible could have been subtitled, "Jumping the Shark?"

Aside from the dissing on Janine - which makes steam come out my ears; even as a kid, I liked that she gave as good as she got -the changes to Peter's character were irritating. Yeah, the kids liked Slimer; he's the most kidlike of the bunch besides Ray. But, it was funny that Peter would bluster and threaten and flip out at Slimer, and Slimer would get the best of him just about every time. It was cute to see that despite his obvious irritation, Peter would make nice with the green goblin on the sly. Taking that love/hate relationship out of it made the dynamic more boring, IMO.

Although, it's fair to say that with the loss of Lorenzo Music, Peter's jibes and cynicism wouldn't have been quite so lovable. Dave Coulier (again, IMO) made Peter sound like a jerk even when he wasn't being one.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2008, 12:45 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
Okay, now I'm really confused...here they are saying that the 'old' Janine was the "least successful, least liked, of all the characters, due to audience testing?"

This same 'audience' then went ape**t when Janine came back in the third season 'revamped'??

Either somebody's lying or the public was acting extremely schizophrenic... :?

PostPosted: September 13th, 2008, 9:02 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Pure spin. Pure writing what the suits wanted to hear. As Paul put it at his site:

Quote:
When I first read the bible, I couldn't help but imagine Jansen and Menville writing it while a couple of suits were standing behind them reading over their shoulders. You know, like they KNEW the suits would read it, so they tried to put a positive spin on changes that shouldn't have been made in the first place (see: Janine).

PostPosted: October 1st, 2008, 3:18 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Did anyone notice the sentence that went something like "we ain't fixing what ain't broke"? Ummm...OK...and this is when the "fixing" started...*dodges the falling irony*

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2008, 1:13 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Yes I noticed that too (removes foot from writer's mouth)

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2008, 9:33 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
The weird thing is, the part where they mention just WHY Peter quit being so mean to Slimer (audience identification) is something I never really thought of before. So there was an actual reason for that change, even though I still think Peter's characterization suffered because of it.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2008, 5:00 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Cancer
The test audience didn't think Janine was "nurturung," so they removed her spine. That makes a whole lot of sense, doesn't it? Take a strong female character and lobotomize her. Real brilliant.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2008, 5:34 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

village idiot wrote:
The test audience didn't think Janine was "nurturung," so they removed her spine. That makes a whole lot of sense, doesn't it? Take a strong female character and lobotomize her. Real brilliant.

Well that begs the question...who the heck comprised the test audience?

And as for Janine not being nurturing, well, it's hard to be nurturing when there's no one around who needs nurturing...

(god, I HATE that word now...)

PostPosted: October 9th, 2008, 12:25 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

The Joker wrote:
village idiot wrote:

Well that begs the question...who the heck comprised the test audience?

And as for Janine not being nurturing, well, it's hard to be nurturing when there's no one around who needs nurturing...

(god, I HATE that word now...)

I'm with you on that one.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2008, 11:27 am 
Doberman
Doberman

I guess throwing yourself in harms way to save your 4 colleagues (Janine Melnitz, Ghostbuster) having the common sense to figure out how to get rid of a villian ready to take over the world (Mr.Sandman, Dream me a Dream) landing a plane taken over by ghosts (Janine's Genie), and subdue and retain a manipulative SOB (Peter's father in Cold Cash and Hot Water) just renders you completely useless and uninspiring to children everywhere. :shock:

A passive, meek, mommy figure is more like it. Because we don't have enough of those around on Saturday mornings. A novel idea, n'est pas?

:puke:

PostPosted: October 9th, 2008, 1:59 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
( sarcasm ) of-cores . didn't you know that . I't just to bad they never got the chants to come out with that Janine toy with the super kitchen play set . :) :)

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2008, 9:19 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
Miss Janine wrote:
The weird thing is, the part where they mention just WHY Peter quit being so mean to Slimer (audience identification) is something I never really thought of before. So there was an actual reason for that change, even though I still think Peter's characterization suffered because of it.

I read it over, still don't get what the reason was. Big Brother?

You know, I never knew much about those Jr. Ghostbusters and after reading that I see why. They are boring and bland. Jason=Peter, Catherine=Janine, and Donald=Egon , except younger. And thats why they didn't get used much.

Janine's read was plain pathtic. She was a tough chick in the movie, thats who she is. God these writers have no balls.

Winston was the common man of the ghostbusters and thats the only part of the last 4 seasons that worked for me.

Atleast they left Egon alone.

Slimer....... um, I was 6 when I started watching ghostbusters, I was your target audence at the time. I rather have had season 1 and 2 over again. Use those two seasons bibles and kick this one to the curb.