It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:22 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Was Dave Coulier the second best 'Venkman' voice??
Yes, I guess if I had to choose another Venkman, it would have to be Dave 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
No, there is another actor that could have done Venkman better 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 3
PostPosted: April 17th, 2008, 11:36 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
Yes, I know that Lorenzo Music was the *perfect* Peter Venkman voice, but did Dave do a good job trying to fill the shoes?

The reason why I ask is that I think Dave gets a bad rap sometimes. Of course he wasn't Lorenzo, but those are some big shoes to fill. Can you blame a guy for trying? I mean, Lorenzo left, so the producers were stuck with trying to fill in the infamous Peter Venkman's voice -- someone that would exude that same sarcastic and cocky, yet warm quality that epitomizes Peter Venkman. You almost have to look at it as the lesser of two evils -- Dave or...who else? I can't really picture anybody else's voice other than Lorenzo OR Dave.

I'd take Lorenzo's Peter any day, but when I think about someone else doing Peter, I can only think of Dave. I mean, okay, Bill Murray would have been second, but let's be real here. Last time I checked Bill Murray wasn't doing voice overs in animation. Dave's Peter was aight in my books. I actually didn't even realize a difference until 5 minutes into the show when he got replaced. I remember my brother and I complaining about the voice change for weeks , but in retrospect, I think the producers worked with what they had, and Dave was the next best thing. If only because he wins by default (i.e. I can't think of one other single actor or voice besides Lorenzo or Dave that would have slipped so easily into the role)...but I think he did a good job of making Peter's voice distinctive, comfortably arrogant (and yes, I do acknowledge that he DID overdo it sometimes) and someone fitting of the personality.

If you chose 'other', I'd love to know who, and why... thanks!

PostPosted: April 18th, 2008, 2:56 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
rgbforever wrote:
Last time I checked Bill Murray wasn't doing voice overs in animation.

Does doing the Garfield movies count?

This whole issue is a bit of a sore spot with me, as I don't think Lorenzo Music should have been replaced. I guess the producers just did what they had to do, and since DC was already doing an ABC show (I think Full House was on ABC- never watched it), he was easily available. (or was it NBC?)

PostPosted: April 18th, 2008, 7:37 am 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Cancer
I'm trying to think if there were any VAs around in 1987 that would been able to lend the same sort of laid-back sarcasm to Peter that Music did. So far, I'm coming up blank. Maybe Michael Bell, I remember one of the dads he voiced on Rugrats (can't recall which one, haven't watched the show in ages) sounded very Music-esque.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2008, 4:54 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Maybe Maurice LeMarche could have done it, unless he decided not to out of respect for LM.