It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:47 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 711 Next
 Post subject: Re: Egon And Janine
PostPosted: September 26th, 2010, 7:40 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Meh. They could have found way more stuff from EGB if they'd tried hard enough. :roll:

I was happy to see that there was a little bit of EGB in there. I know there are people who would have just ignored it, which is fine - each to their own and all that - but it's always nice to see that some people like it a bit. ;)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2010, 4:13 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
ghostdiva wrote:
Someone should have done this a long time ago!

Love it!

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg144/VulcanJediConsular/Egon%20Janine/

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg144/VulcanJediConsular/Egon%20Janine/?action=view&current=EJGBL.jpg
This one is particularly hilarious, even though I'm not too keen on this comic's visual style.

And yes, I'm all for the E/J relationship as well. Who isn't? :)

PostPosted: February 6th, 2011, 4:42 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
There are some particular cute ones from the movie that I never really got a good look at, particularly 16 out of 34 and 34 out of 34...

There are some missing however...the one of them in the cab with Peter and the one of him on top of her when he saves her from the Peoplebusters, the one when he visits her family etc...

PostPosted: January 18th, 2012, 9:31 pm 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Not that I'm necessarily advocating anybody *DO* this <*ahem*>cdisplay.me<*ahem*>, but if you're interested reading the NOW Comics issues of Real Ghostbusters without, say, owning them, well...

Issue 16:
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?q4xvg4i0kvpztzg

Issue 19:
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5bfd0d9yjm8hhff

And especially since *I* MYSELF scanned Issue 28... ;)

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3jymyu5dlhz

I also scanned this one, Volume 2 Issue 04: ("That's not Janine...")

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kwmdmy2zkjy

But, seriously, E/J was my *first* 'Ship. Legit, I was *six* and I'm thinking "Just KISS her, already!" Not to mention, RGB!Egon spawned my nerd fetish, so yeah...<*ahem*>

I have a couple of E/J-centric RGB fanfics in the works, but don't expect them anytime soon LOL! :lol:

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 12:39 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Yay more fic! Yay hard to find comics! I went to my comic book store recently and cleaned them out of what little they had (which was two issues of Legion I hadn't gotten my dirty little paws on yet). He said he got new stuff in on Fridays, so here's hoping. I've never even seen one of the NOW comics in person, my hopes there are pretty abysmal unless I go eBaying. Thanks for the links!

PostPosted: January 19th, 2012, 4:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Just a reminder that scans of most of Now's RGB comics are available at GBFans. More details here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=194

PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 6:37 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Aries
The comics are great. I still have some of the originals. It's good to hear that you have some new Egon and Janine stories in the works. Can't wait for them.

:)

Sometimes in my job I feel just like Janine, over worked and under paid!

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 9:25 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It's my board, I'm allowed to post the same thing twice...

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=11450

Erik Burnham wrote:
I know there's a pretty big faction out there that sees Egon and Janine as the It Couple of the franchise... mostly due to the cartoon. (Movie Egon, you are a cold and distanced Player. lol)

Quote:
What do you Ghostheads think? Should they? Should they not? (Your opinion shall not sway me.)

Outside of Fritz. I know what you think, buddy. lol.

:lol:

Ghostdiva, Exley, PaleHorse, kaotic, everyone else. You want to stuff the ballot box, now is the time... :ej4ever:

PostPosted: February 27th, 2012, 9:48 am 
Moononite
Moononite

I would, but as he stated, my opinion isn't going to change anything so...why bother really? It seems a bit pointless to sign up for a board I'll use once only to post about something that doesn't matter to the other party.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 10:07 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Good point, I guess.

I have a weird idea where Burnham is going with this, and nothing he wrote in that thread or elsewhere dissuades me yet. I'm torn between actually sharing it so that, in the slim chance I'm right, I can brag about it, and not doing so because when I'm wrong I'll look stupid.

I do think I'm going to go ahead and post this, though: it was something I almost sent to Burnham in a PM when he said something along the lines of "Movie Egon shows no interest in her". My answer to that :

I admit, it's far more difficult to answer the question without the cartoon version. J. Micheal Straczynski, Richard Mueller, and a few others did a surprisingly masterful job of slowly building the potential relationship. Of course, part of the reason it had to be done that way was external--the show was aimed at kids, especially boys, who still think romance is "icky". The other is in-story; namely that Egon Spengler isn't going to fall in love with anybody very quickly.

Egon isn't a robot or a Vulcan. He's repressed. Even without the cartoon elaboration of his background, we still have the hints in GB2: "My parents didn't believe in toys". He's guided by his intellect, not his emotions. They're there, though, and every once in a while they erupt out in spectacular fashion: the scene where he goes for Peck's throat in GB1 is the best known example. (It's cartoon lore, but his jealous snitfit in "Robo Buster" would be an especially relevant example if it counted.)

Because he's so emotionally repressed, Egon Spengler's actually drawn to people who are more emotionally expressive. Look at his two oldest friends, Peter Venkman and Ray Stantz. Venkman might be said to be ruled by a part of his body different from his brain or heart, but anyway...while he's certainly capable of some dishonest cunning, he's kind of ruled by an impulse of "What's going to bring me the most fun?" Ray's a genius second only to Egon, but he wears his heart on his sleeve and goes through life with great enthusiasm. They're polar opposites from Egon emotionally. Winston is closer to Egon's mental approach to dealing with the world--but note that, of the other Ghostbusters, Winston is the one he's usually depicted as being the least close to; that's not to say they aren't friends or they can't stand each other, but Winston doesn't provide any emotional stimulation.

So then enter Janine Melnitz.

Much like Ray and Venkman, she's predominantly guided by her feelings. It's no coincidence that she and Venkman spar so well--they've got some similar personality traits, most notably not taking any crap from anyone else, potential consequences be damned (ie Venkman risking the wrath of the EPA; Janine taking the risk of Venkman firing her). She brings all of the vivaciousness and emotional stimulation to the table that Ray or Venkman does, and she looks a hell of a lot better in a blue mini-skirt.

And then there's this: she knows what he does is real. That's big. She's never showed any signs of skepticism; even Winston had his "If there's a steady paycheck in it I'll believe anything you tell me" moment. She's got to be just about the first woman to not think he's some kind of fruitcake; certainly, in the academic circles he used to travel in, as soon as he said "I'm a physicist, but I'm currently working into research into psychic phenomenon and parapsychology" they probably backed away. Not Janine. Based on these formulations--emotional stimulation and not thinking he's insane--she's Egon's catnip. But of course, because he's so repressed, Egon resists.

That's the concept, but how do we build it in-story?

First of all, I don't think "Movie Egon shows no interest in her" is necessarily completely accurate.

Certainly we see the very beginnings of their potential relationship in GB1. He's obviously more annoyed by her at first than anything, but there are a couple of subtle cues. Taking her hand and running out of the exploding fire house with her is one. More notable is the very end, during the closing credits: when she runs up to him after the Gozer battle and embraces him, it's the only time in the first movie that he ever smiles.

Now what about GB2? Yeah, that's a major downer to anyone who supports their relationship, particularly since it seemed out of nowhere at the time, since the cartoon and the Now Comic series was still running. But there's one small loophole that Now's writer, James Van Hise, exploited and drove a truck through: Egon and Janine don't appear on screen together throughout the entire movie, save the "staged" commercial scene. It actually leaves a lot more room to speculate on the exact contexts of Janine's flirtation with Louis; Van Hise took the approach that she got made at him for spending all of his time dealing with Venkman's problems and the larger Vigo case, and basically had an angry fling. It's all speculation, but it's valid speculation--the fact that Louis is clearly out of the picture in GBVG and IDW provides some support to that position.

But again, look at some other works in the "movie only" paradigm. 88MPH's miniseries had her trying everything to get his attention. Makeup, fake boobs, the whole nine yards. When she just gets to her wits end and directly asks him out, he calmly says "Okay. How about the Mars Explorer lecture next week?" I was eager to see what Andrew Dabb did with that, but anyway...

To get closer to home, namely material published by IDW:

"Displaced Aggression". It's one panel, granted, but Egon's simple, open-faced "Hello, Janine" when they've come to rescue her from pre-Revolution France. Much like the smile at the end of GB1, a rare moment of his true affections getting the better of his detached facade, it could be argued.

"Past, Present, Future" Who's the one angry at Venkman for making Janine work on Christmas Eve? Egon, of course.

"What the Sam Hain Just Happened?" Early in the book, Janine's arguing with Lester; Egon almost teleports into the room to back her up. Later, Egon takes Lester's call to the Ghostbusters; he's about ready to tell Lester to blow it out his ass when he finds out Janine's involved: all of a sudden, getting there to help becomes a priority.

Heck, even in "Infestation" #1, which Burnham wrote, when Venkman tries to prompt Egon out of his lab to help with their situation, Egon's basically ignoring him. But when Janine starts screaming at him, he makes it downstairs.

Basically, there are subtexts and hints that makes him having feelings for her that he's hidden for all this time very plausible, even when stuff from the cartoon doesn't count.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 1:18 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

All very valid points. I'm still going to buy the comics regardless, just not going to register to throw words at him when it won't sway anything.

I sort of suspect 'Roger' might be a pseudonym, but then he mentioned on Twitter about Egon meeting him sooooooooo I am likely wrong.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 1:27 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
you make a lot of good points there. Say if the hook up how long do you think it will be before the :egon: and :janine: one more day story line comes out ?

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 9:28 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

I'd love to go post something over there, but I can't get verified! Don't know why, I signed up Friday night and I'm still waiting. :evil:

I love everything you wrote Fritz. You put into a few consice words what I spent 2 hrs explaining to my dad Saturday. You are dead on correct and I wish you could post it over there...
Maybe I can copy and paste once I can get on? 8-)

APaleHorse- I actually had the exact same thought as you. Very interesting idea, no?

My dad is an avid comic book reader and has read literally almost all of them. He had some thoughts on the subject, but nothing I was very happy about because it implied that the will they/won't they would be a long time coming to get resolved, if ever. Then I reminded him that it's already been 27 years! He just laughed at me. Oh well.

He says we will get a definitive in print answer. In a way I look forward to it, but in another way I'm scared that it won't turn out the way I want.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 9:30 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Hey Jason- What the One More Day story line?

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 10:48 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

ghostdiva: Guess this just means there's more fic to be had, hahaha!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 711 Next