It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:01 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2021, 4:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
https://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4955926

Kingpin wrote:
With 58 days between now and Ghostbusters: Afterlife's scheduled release on November 19th, Sony Pictures is continuing to ramp up the marketing campaign... And after a longer-than-standard wait due to the ongoing pandemic, we've been treated with a double-helping of theatrical posters.

Additionally, Sony has also revealed a tagline for Afterlife, which has been posted on its social media accounts:

Quote:
Discover the past, protect the future.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2021, 7:19 pm 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Zodiac: Aries
And we already have two reviews for the film.

The first is from Deadline’s Pete Hammond, who writes positively that Jason Reitman delivers a smart and fun reinvention that the franchise has been waiting for.
https://deadline.com/video/ghostbusters ... paul-rudd/

While Courtney Howard of IndieWire gives a mixed reception to the film by saying that it suffers from an over-reliance on its previous life.
https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/ghost ... 1234670605

PostPosted: October 10th, 2021, 6:39 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Here's another review.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-reviews/ghostbusters-afterlife-review-1235028451/
A tad spoilery, but not much different from the other reviews.

From reading these reviews, I think it's obvious that
Spoiler!
Janine is not the grandmother and Egon is a deadbeat dad.
The part where the Hollywood Reporter review talks about Callie being an abandoned child feels a bit like a gut punch, honestly.
Janine is just the Realtor for his estate.

I don't know what else to say, really.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2021, 1:11 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
That's what I had heard from the spoiler I got after the critic showing. I'm very upset and totally confused by Jason's decision to play it like that. My guess is Ramis' family influenced some things.

Spoiler!
I also heard Janine'snot rallying the movie past the one scene, which makes no sense with top billing.

I wont be seeing it.

I think I'm about to sell all my stuff related to the movies as well. I'll stick with the cartoons.

I think as the excitement of seeing it early wears off, we will start hearing more realistic reviews.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2021, 1:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Sadly, nothing we didn't already suspect. I'll surprise a lot of people who know me by not being in any hurry to see this thing, but if they ask why, I'll tell them: "Explaining it will require spoiling things."

I'm not saying I'll never see it. I'm still interested in seeing the new characters, but it's sure not a "Go see it on opening day!!!" thing. I did that on GB2, even going into it knowing a couple of my favorite characters were going to be assassinated by it. Not this one.

I've already been trying out some analogies: "It's like if JJ Abrams decided when doing The Force Awakens that Han and Leia never married, and Kyle Ren's mother was some character we'd never seen or heard of before...meanwhile Leia had been playing footsie with Jar Jar Binks." That's about the size of it to me.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2021, 4:06 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

I'm just really confused.

Spoiler!
I can understand why they couldn't make Janine the grandmother, but for her to just hand over the keys to Callie and call it a day? And for Egon to know he had a daughter and just up and leave her? And then to leave her the house that contains all his Ghostbusting equipment? 

What happened to Janine being the one who loved him in GB1 and who cared for him in his later years? What happened to the connection they were supposed to have had? 

I'm just struggling to process this. There I was, thinking that all those sperm donor theories were ridiculous and that everyone who thought Janine just turned up for five minutes to hand over the keys were misguided, and look what happens! Never, ever listen to me on this ever again, because clearly I am an idiot.. :lol:

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2021, 3:42 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I'm really struggling. This has made me hate life.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2021, 7:24 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Capricorn
From a lot of the stuff I've heard about the making of this movie, Ramis's family were involved in it from at least one of the early revisions of the script or the start of shooting, I'm not sure which, but it sure seems odd that Violet Ramis would be ok with her dad's character being a deadbeat dad when he Harold was involved so much in her life. I do know that the character of Egon didn't show much emotion on screen and was more interested in scientific pursuits, but to not be involved in the raising of his own child is a bit far. It's so out of character for him, he probably would've seen it as an interesting scientific experiment to see what would be more impactful to a child, Nature Or Nurture. Hell, do we even know that Callie is Egon's child? (Please, I wanna know if that's official or not and where it was mentioned.) For all we know she married into the family and he died in some horrific accident shortly after becoming pregnant with Pheobe. That's my two cent's on this, for now.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2021, 1:48 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

egon901 wrote:
From a lot of the stuff I've heard about the making of this movie, Ramis's family were involved in it from at least one of the early revisions of the script or the start of shooting, I'm not sure which, but it sure seems odd that Violet Ramis would be ok with her dad's character being a deadbeat dad when he Harold was involved so much in her life. I do know that the character of Egon didn't show much emotion on screen and was more interested in scientific pursuits, but to not be involved in the raising of his own child is a bit far.

Considering even Venkman managed to do his best to look after a child that wasn't biologically his in GB2, it's really not a good look for Egon to abandon his own daughter.  

egon901 wrote:
It's so out of character for him, he probably would've seen it as an interesting scientific experiment to see what would be more impactful to a child, Nature Or Nurture.

Even if it was an experiment you'd have thought he'd turn up sometimes to record the results of it. :lol:

I would have thought a scientist like Egon would at the very least want to be involved in his child's intellectual upbringing. The menial child-rearing tasks he'd hand over to someone else and he'd never be an affectionate type of father, but to just abandon his kid completely does seem waaaay out of character. 

Fritz wrote:
I've already been trying out some analogies: "It's like if JJ Abrams decided when doing The Force Awakens that Han and Leia never married, and Kyle Ren's mother was some character we'd never seen or heard of before...meanwhile Leia had been playing footsie with Jar Jar Binks." That's about the size of it to me.

The more I think about it, the more I think this analogy is perfect.

The first film set up nicely who Egon would have had kids with. It's only natural for people to assume that someone within the GB universe that we've already been introduced to would have been the other parent - just as many people naturally assume that Andre Wallance is Oscar's father instead of someone random. 

I'm interested in seeing what people think after they've seen the film. Not critics, not even fans, but the general audience. There are some out there who have seen the first film and the second trailer and are going to be just as confused as the rest of us. :lol:

PostPosted: October 14th, 2021, 6:38 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

nikki wrote:
Fritz wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I think this analogy is perfect.

Thanks :D It was either that or "And in Revenge of the Sith it turns out Padme isn't Luke and Leia's mother--we never see her. Padme, meanwhile, married Jar Jar Binks" But I think the TFA analogy is stronger due to a similar feeling of "New guy does nostalgic sequel but throws in fucking stupid backstory twist".

nikki wrote:
Considering even Venkman managed to do his best to look after a child that wasn't biologically his in GB2, it's really not a good look for Egon to abandon his own daughter.

Yeah. I can't think of a good way for this to work

Quote:
Even if it was an experiment you'd have thought he'd turn up sometimes to record the results of it. :lol:

Well, there's always the fear that Venkman would find the tape... :venkman:

Quote:
I would have thought a scientist like Egon would at the very least want to be involved in his child's intellectual upbringing. The menial child-rearing tasks he'd hand over to someone else and he'd never be an affectionate type of father, but to just abandon his kid completely does seem waaaay out of character. 

Quote:
The first film set up nicely who Egon would have had kids with. It's only natural for people to assume that someone within the GB universe that we've already been introduced to would have been the other parent - just as many people naturally assume that Andre Wallance is Oscar's father instead of someone random. 

I'm interested in seeing what people think after they've seen the film. Not critics, not even fans, but the general audience. There are some out there who have seen the first film and the second trailer and are going to be just as confused as the rest of us. :lol:

Yeah, what we know right now just doesn't come together into any way that doesn't make the character played by the dearly departed co-star of the previous movies look like some kind of jerk.

Is there still room for the final product to make sense of it? Yeah. Of course.

But it's going to have to do some heavy lifting. Especially after, as I think I mentioned before, GB:A is pushing so many "This is just like the first movie!!! (Even if it was different in the second, like ECTO-1!!!)" buttons it's a little jarring that this seems to the one that it isn't.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2021, 6:55 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
wow, this is really saddening to hear. :(

for a long time now there has been a trend to make fathers into deadbeet dads.
I'm not going to go into a rant on how I feel about Hollywood but it's just sad to hear this film is following in that trope.

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: October 18th, 2021, 8:05 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

I can understand that they'd want at least one of the guys on the look out for the next big paranormal event or something like that, but there are ways to do that without having a beloved character become an asshole father. Or maybe, building on my previous post, something happened to Egon's child that drove him to live in the middle of a cornfield in the middle of nowhere, U.S.A. I honestly don't think it would be that hard to find evidence that the stone used in any renovations that Shandor made was shipped in from his own personal mine/quarry, plus the location of said mine/quarry would've been easy to find. When Egon found the location, I think something happened to his son, (honestly don't think Callie is Egon's kid, but I could be wrong and I'll admit it,) and all the secrecy behind what happened to Callie's husband could be tied to the start of what's been happening in this town. It may have needed a blood sacrifice to get things kicked off, and if they were in the newly discovered temple in the mine, then what other way to kick off than have the son of one of the only people to defeat you be the way you come back?

Sorry about the wall of text guys, just had a lot to get out since I watched the second international trailer.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2021, 8:15 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Callie was likely born before GB1, she seems a little closer to 40s than 30's to me.

It could be more of a Captain Kirk/David Marcus situation. If the mother asks the father to stay out of their lives, I wouldn't necessarily call that a "deadbeat dad".

Hell, maybe the mother simply moved away from New York for work, making it impossible for Egon to be there, and by the time he left NYC himself...once you're out of your kid's life for long enough, there tends to be a sort of inertia or a feeling of "it's too late now, I've missed so much of their life they'd probably resent the attempt"

PostPosted: October 24th, 2021, 10:55 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

If we take the age of Carrie Coon to be the age of Callie, 40 this year, she would've been 3 at the time of GB1. A lot of the questions and theories we have will, unfortunately, only be answered once we as a fandom 1. Watch the movie, or 2. Begin having reviews with Spoilers in them for us to know what the story is. And I swear to God themselves that if they have a 'prequel' comic or something because somebody thought it would be a better cash grab for the studio instead of putting all the information that we need in the movie, I'm not even gonna look at it once and cut my losses tbh.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2021, 10:48 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Can I just make a point in saying I didn't randomly refer to Egon as being a 'deadbeat dad'. More than one of the film's reviews mentioned him either being a deadbeat dad or a deadbeat grandfather, and the review I directly linked to mentioned Callie being abandoned by her father. 

Frankly, you can drive from New York to Chicago (where Callie lived) in roughly the same amount of time it takes Callie to drive from Chicago to Oklahoma, and he managed to move himself and most of his ghostbusting equipment from New York to Oklahoma, so the idea that Egon couldn't physically get to wherever she was in order to be able to see her occasionally seems a bit daft to me. And even if he couldn't physically be part of her life he could always... you know, use the phone... :roll: :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next