It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:28 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: August 13th, 2016, 12:48 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
If you wanted to start a timeline... here be a starting point.

The date of the video upload that got Erin fired was October 24, 2014.

This is a edit of footage in the "GHOSTBUSTERS Character Vignette - Erin" video.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHeyB6cN2bw

Disclaimer... this doesn't mean 100% that the canon date is October 24, 2014, it means that likely it is. The DVD/Blu-ray release of the film will be the finalized answer. :D

PostPosted: August 13th, 2016, 4:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Great catch :)

I admit I've already put a few notes together; I don't know if it'll lead to a full timeline, but after reading Ghosts From Our Past I was able to conjecture a thing or two:

Erin was spooked out by the ghost of Gretta DeMille after Halloween 1985, and she says she was eight years old. That gives us a conjectural birth year of 1977 (August 22, if we want to use Kristin Wiig's birthdate, though in real life she was born in 1973). Since she and Abby Yates met in their junior year of high school (probably 1994-1995, though possibly 1993-1994) Abby is the same age. Melissa McCarthy's birthdate is August 26 (1970). If we keep that they were born pretty close together.

I may be wrong, but with late August birthdates, it seems more likely they were some of the oldest members of their class, and graduated high school in 1996, just a few months shy of their 19th birthdays. They were 22 when they wrote GFOP, so probably the 1999/2000 school year.

On the other hand, GFOP suggests they were in their sophomore year when X-Files debuted in September 1993; this would probably push much of the above back four years. Basically, Erin being haunted as an eight year old in 1985 and X-Files debuting during their sophomore year seem to be contradictory. Could they have graduated high school four years early? I don't see anything (else) to that effect yet.

I haven't got much to go on on Patty and Holtzmann's timelines yet; for what it's worth, Leslie Jones was born September 7, 1967, and Kate McKinnon January 6, 1984.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 9:13 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I just started reading the Nancy Holder novelization of GB16 and already found a bit of support for the October date: the third paragraph of the book describes
Quote:
A crisp autumn day

Be interesting to see where things go from here.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 8:46 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Capricorn
Fritz wrote:
Since she and Abby Yates met in their junior year of high school (probably 1994-1995, though possibly 1993-1994) Abby is the same age. Melissa McCarthy's birthdate is August 26 (1970). If we keep that they were born pretty close together.

I may be wrong, but with late August birthdates, it seems more likely they were some of the oldest members of their class, and graduated high school in 1996, just a few months shy of their 19th birthdays. They were 22 when they wrote GFOP, so probably the 1999/2000 school year.

On the other hand, GFOP suggests they were in their sophomore year when X-Files debuted in September 1993; this would probably push much of the above back four years.

I had a thought and did some research. What if Erin got in to Kindergarten an year early and Abby's a year older than her? Apparently, there's a little known work-around for getting younger kids than average (5.5 yrs) into kindergarten that's rarely used just because the people involved don't want to stress the child out if it's too much for them. Erin, if I remember right from GFOP, showed she was smart from a very young age. It's possible that they deemed her early enrollment in kindergarten worth it.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 9:23 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Good thoughts Jeremy.

I gotta mention that GBwiki interviewed the writer of Ghosts From Our Pasts and he admitted that he screwed up the date of Erin's haunting--it should have been 1982 instead of 1985.

Quote:
ANDREW SHAFFER: Ah, I see. The references to October 1985 were an error on my part -- they should have read October 1982. Never ask a writer to do simple math!

The timeline for the book should look like this:

Erin and Abby - DOB 1974 (approximate -- we don't have exact DOBs)
Erin and Abby - Greta incident in 1982, not 1985
Erin and Abby - age 19 (approximately) - X-Files premiered 1993 - sophomore year
Erin and Abby - age 22 - graduate 1996 and write GFOP over the summer
Erin and Abby - age 22 (approximately) - leave for graduate school

At least that's how it fits together in my mind.

Keeping the assumption that Erin and Abby were born in August they would have been some of the youngest members of their classes--when they graduated high school in May/June 1992, they would have still been 17. (But the X-files date works--they would have turned 19 before the September 1993 premiere)

They very easily, of course, could have been born on different days than Melissa McCarthy and Kristin Wiig were: Peter Venkman, for example, was stated to be a Scorpio in "Mean Green Teen Machine", while Bill Murray was born on September 21 (Virgo). But since all we have right now in 2016 canon is one movie and one book, the real life days are all we have.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2016, 5:23 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Capricorn
Thanks Fritz. That interview clarifies a lot, because I think more people thought they say X-Files while Sophomores in high school. I know I did, at least. And I don't know why I thought that hypothesis up, probably because of the above misunderstanding, but it's interesting that the author had some things already worked out in his mind that made sense. I wonder if he had any input from the writers or director of the film besides what was in the book. Should've paid more attention to when they met, since that happened when they were juniors in high school.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2017, 12:01 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Well, my sister caved and watched this movie last night. She literally woke up blind this morning...i think that about says it all!

Shes fine now, allergy swelled her eyes shut.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 5:51 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
ghostdiva wrote:
Well, my sister caved and watched this movie last night. She literally woke up blind this morning...i think that about says it all!

Shes fine now, allergy swelled her eyes shut.

my OCD made me get the DVD but I still have yet to watch it do to work and classes.
one day i will one day.

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel