It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:31 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Oh Grife...Now What?
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 9:44 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
http://protoncharging.com/gb/2008/02/22 ... -but-what/

What does it say about me that this fills me with dread instead of any sort of excitement?

Maybe it really is time to hang this gig up...

Post subject: Re: Oh Grife...Now What?
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 12:02 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
I'm assuming it's an announcement about Ghostbusters Blu-Ray DVDs rather than anything too pant-wettingly exciting. Seeing as I don't own a Blu-Ray player, I'm not really that bothered.

However, it is interesting that GB seems to be 'in' this year. A gamer friend of mine who has never mentioned Ghostbusters before seems to be interested in buying the new game when it comes out. It's one thing being aware of stuff coming out because you frequent the fan websites, but it's another thing entirely when an average guy knows about these things. I've already read one discussion about the GB game on a non-gaming website forum (the consensus was overwhelmingly positive and there was great interest in playing it), and I know it's not really related but a popular breakfast radio show in the UK has been playing the Ghostbusters theme tune remixed with another children's cartoon theme on a fairly regular basis. There's definitely more of it about. It's interesting stuff. I doubt whether it will last, though. It's probably one of those things which happen in cycles of every 20-years or so. :lol:

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 4:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Lol...be sure to read how unexcited I am about the video game in the Video Game section. Particullarly the "Dissenting Opinions" thread.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 9:04 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Scorpio
Fritz wrote:
Lol...be sure to read how unexcited I am about the video game in the Video Game section. Particularly the "Dissenting Opinions" thread.

"And then depression sets in." ~ Stripes

PostPosted: February 26th, 2008, 12:23 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Fritz, I think you are just jaded by some of the other things that have happened with licensed material in recent years, I feel the same way.

I vote it is for the blue-rays, or something equally less exciting.

Probably a big announcement that after October all PS3s will have the new ghosbuster game come with it for free, so that people will feel compelled to buy the PS3. LIke gamecube did with Zelda.

Completely a non-event in my book.
ghostdiva

PostPosted: February 26th, 2008, 10:06 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

All I can think of with this Big Announcement is Prof Farnsworth from Futurama. He frequently says either "Good news, everybody!" or "Bad news, everybody!" enthusiastically. :D :cry:

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 9:07 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
Unless it's Sony announcing that RGB & EGB are coimg to DVD in full season boxsets I'm not gonna care too much. :roll:
I don't think we should worry too much either.
Whatever they do shouldn't change our perceptions of what's what about our favourite franchise & characters.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2008, 3:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Gah...my Quesada reflex is acting up again...

http://forums.ghostbusters.net/viewtopi ... ht=#133830

AJ Quick wrote:
That is not going to be the only announcement.. trust me.

This will be one of the biggest Ghostbusters announcements in say.. 20 years.

Also.. they will be posting the Ecto-1 car show schedule sometime after Comic Con.

http://www.ghostbustershq.com/phpBB3/vi ... f=2&t=5004

Netsolo wrote:
There's a new video game on the horizon. You might have heard about it. It's going to be big. How big? Pretty damn. There's also going to be something happening on July 26th... a lot of you kinda know what it's going to be but rest assured it'll be pretty damn mind-blowing too. I also don't want to be too much of a cockteasing comedian but something dormant might just be getting a fresh breath of life in the not-so-distant future as well.

This starts to sound an awful lot like they really have come to terms with some sort of movie deal.

I think it speaks volumes to me that something is wrong with me when this depresses and annoys me. It's just like the video game--everyone else on the GB Boards was utterly splooging themselves and I'm going "This sounds like it could be crap."

What kind of fan am I that I can't even be the slightest bit excited about this? I hate feeling this old, and bitter. I hate this visceral feeling...like all of my labor of love is being flushed down the toilet because a bunch of has-beens who haven't contributed a thing to the franchise since many of today's fans were in diapers decided they wanted to try to ride the gravy train one more time. I hate it because I know being resentful about that is irrational and counterproductive.

I hate all of this right on the heels of being called a "Canon Nazi" again for actually caring about the characters and the stories I've chosen to work with instead of squealing with approval every time some fanbrat posts "My favorite Ghostbuster* bangs a Mary Sue he just met!!!" stories. (*--Besides Venkman, for whom it would have been in character much of the time)

I started trying to finish part one of "The Eye Of Aretpo" this morning...and just quit. It just doesn't seem to matter anymore. It seems so stupid and pointless. I have an overhaul of the Ectozone and GBWC.net sitting on my hard drive I was going to upload on Tuesday. Now I feel like...why bother? I'm stuck in a past nobody cares about anymore, faced with a future full of things that make my heart and mind scream "Do. Not. Want."

I don't think I can take this shit anymore. I'm not sure it's worth it.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2008, 4:40 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
hay don't feel so bad I'm 24 and I'm biter about a lot of things .

Fritz some time you just have to stand back and see were every thing falls . let the one how say they love it preach all there wont . they may end up saying later that the heat it .

some time in a mess you have to stand back and loot at the hole thing before you now what to do .

PS

I think its funny that in that thread on HQ they talk about new fans that will piss them off .

HUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMM............ didn't some one say the sane thing last year . humm... now who was it I cant remember .

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: May 9th, 2008, 5:42 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Cancer
Fritz wrote:
Gah...my Quesada reflex is acting up again...

http://forums.ghostbusters.net/viewtopi ... ht=#133830

AJ Quick wrote:
That is not going to be the only announcement.. trust me.

This will be one of the biggest Ghostbusters announcements in say.. 20 years.

Also.. they will be posting the Ecto-1 car show schedule sometime after Comic Con.

http://www.ghostbustershq.com/phpBB3/vi ... f=2&t=5004

Netsolo wrote:
There's a new video game on the horizon. You might have heard about it. It's going to be big. How big? Pretty damn. There's also going to be something happening on July 26th... a lot of you kinda know what it's going to be but rest assured it'll be pretty damn mind-blowing too. I also don't want to be too much of a cockteasing comedian but something dormant might just be getting a fresh breath of life in the not-so-distant future as well.

This starts to sound an awful lot like they really have come to terms with some sort of movie deal.

I think it speaks volumes to me that something is wrong with me when this depresses and annoys me. It's just like the video game--everyone else on the GB Boards was utterly splooging themselves and I'm going "This sounds like it could be crap."

What kind of fan am I that I can't even be the slightest bit excited about this? I hate feeling this old, and bitter. I hate this visceral feeling...like all of my labor of love is being flushed down the toilet because a bunch of has-beens who haven't contributed a thing to the franchise since many of today's fans were in diapers decided they wanted to try to ride the gravy train one more time. I hate it because I know being resentful about that is irrational and counterproductive.

I hate all of this right on the heels of being called a "Canon Nazi" again for actually caring about the characters and the stories I've chosen to work with instead of squealing with approval every time some fanbrat posts "My favorite Ghostbuster* bangs a Mary Sue he just met!!!" stories. (*--Besides Venkman, for whom it would have been in character much of the time)

I started trying to finish part one of "The Eye Of Aretpo" this morning...and just quit. It just doesn't seem to matter anymore. It seems so stupid and pointless. I have an overhaul of the Ectozone and GBWC.net sitting on my hard drive I was going to upload on Tuesday. Now I feel like...why bother? I'm stuck in a past nobody cares about anymore, faced with a future full of things that make my heart and mind scream "Do. Not. Want."

I don't think I can take this shit anymore. I'm not sure it's worth it.

No, Fritz...if you pack it in now, you've let them win. Why should one insane fangirl and a bunch of money-grabbing jobsworths (of which every franchise out there is prey to, to some extent) affect what you do? Surely that's counterbalanced by people like us who do appreciate what you do.

Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters II, RGB, EGB...still exist. They are there. No-one can take that away. No-one, especially not Sarah (or whatever she calls herself now) is bigger than the franchise. Fact.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2008, 9:32 am 
Administrator
Administrator

After a night to calm down, I wish to apologize. There was some Real Life stuff I've been dealing with lately, and it's left me in a more sour than usual mood; now I look at that diatribe from yesterday and surprised myself at how bitter it was.

I'm not going to delete or retract that post, because I won't deny the truth (as I honestly see it) underlying it. But while I don't think there's much chance he's found this little corner of the internets, and couldn't admit it if he had, if he has I singularly apologize to Mr. Aykroyd for the snarky "Has-beens trying to ride the gravy train one more time" insult, as he's the one member of the creative team who's shown his total love and commitment to the property that's brought us all here. Ghostbusters isn't just a paycheck and/or a chance to work with old buddies to him.

And I apologize to all of the members of this board for letting stuff that happens elsewhere spill out onto this place again. I'm tilting in the windmill of the euphoria present everywhere else, and it's pissing me off, but just don't have the fight in me to start making an issue of it everywhere else. I see how contrarian views get shouted down for being "negative" and don't want any of that (See what happened to Jason the time he bravely stood up and expressed a lack of orgasmic glee at the Video Game announcement). But I guess since this is my place, it's the only place I can go with it.

Thanks for your understanding.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2008, 11:56 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Fritz, all I can say is that I'm glad you rethought things. You almost made me cancel my internet subscription, lol. Seriously though, you promised me stories and I will hunt you down if I don't get them. :shock:

I completely understand where you are coming from though. I just don't really have much of a heartstring for this game, the commercial from Spike makes it look like crap and I don't even think I am going to bother with it until someone else has had a chance to play it. But with the economy what it is, I don't know how I'd buy it anyway.

And believe me when I say I know how sucky real life can make things. I lost my part time accounting job a month ago, and money is shoooooort. And remember how I couldn;t remember that episode the other day? Turns out that was just the beggining of a nightmare for me, I started falling down a lot last week and getting dizzy and forgetting things I should know, like my phone number, and I went to the doctor and I have swelling in my brain! How crazy is that? And it has apparently given me a bit of depression, the swelling is squeezing off an artery, well it was I guess, I had a little procedure yesterday to help with that, think root canal on the side of your head. I'm okay though, they say they can fix it with some steriods.

So I guess my point is that you are not alone in the boat going up the creek without a paddle. The sucky thing is I have 152 dollar a month student loan payment and no job, there just aren't any. And to top it all off my mom wants me to move back home, which is understandable since I can't remember my ohone number some days, lol. This has taken me an hour to type BTW, I can barely get the letters right.

Anyhow, I think you are one of the heros of this fan base Fritz and it wouldn'
t be the same without you, and the only person who probably really hates you is Sarah, and I think you can over look that. There's always one.

I am just waiting paitently for the release of C of G and then some of the other awesome things you have in mind, and then you have to help me straighten out my mess of a story too. Just remeber that :You are too busy to worry about stuff! :D

ghostdiva

PostPosted: May 10th, 2008, 4:36 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
wow ! .. ghostdiva I'm really sorry to hear that I hope you get better .

-----

now seeing as hoe we are sharing are problem to show Fritz he's the only one in a slump . ( I'm not say that you don't have a right to feel bad )

Mine may not ghostdiva but as of the last week me and my mom have bin trying to clean my grandmas house .

you may be saying that's not that bad . well just thinks of the collector and you well have an idea of what it's like . we filed up 3.5 bins last week and we still 5 or so more to go .

no top of that i have just recently become allergic to something in most food . so every day I have to be careful so as to not eat something that will sand me running to that bath room .

I'm finding that I'm getting depressed almost every other night . I have only one other real friend out side of the place and i don't see him all that much . I lost my job that no money to do any thing or get any thing . All seem to do for most of the day is sit at my computer doing some are project trying to improve my skills so I can get the job I wont . I've bin doing the same this for the last 6 years and I'm felling like it's not really going to pay off .

also I'm still bummed over what happened last year. ( not as much as as I was and not in the same way ) . so I've bin trying kill and give up on that small part of me that thinks I will ever have a gills fend or love . I keep feeling that is best to just move on with that part of my life.

Oh and it's also my lack of reading and spelling skills can make life hard and frustrating . especially when some people treat my like I'm a idiot

oooo .. is that what a rant feels like . I this helps you feel that you feel ... a ... better ?..........

or maybe that you not going it alone .

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: May 11th, 2008, 7:49 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
jason knetge wrote:
also I'm still bummed over what happened last year. ( not as much as as I was and not in the same way ) . so I've bin trying kill and give up on that small part of me that thinks I will ever have a gills fend or love . I keep feeling that is best to just move on with that part of my life.

Oh and it's also my lack of reading and spelling skills can make life hard and frustrating . especially when some people treat my like I'm a idiot

Trust me, although you might not think it right now, it does get better.

I was with a guy for 8 years; we were engaged and one day, out of the blue, he decides to leave me because, and I quote; 'he wanted to sleep with other women'. Despite the fact that he was an utter arse, had sex with his best mate's fiancée, took E's, Cocaine and Cannabis on a fairly regular basis, I loved him deeply. When the b*tard decided that the grass wasn't that greener on the other side and wanted to come back to me, I let him (like an idiot). I thought I wouldn't find anyone else. Now, he's gone. For good. I was tired of being used and I left him. I have finally found someone better, but it took a long time and I went through a few failed dates to get here. I was single for a looong time, which made me think I'd never find anyone else. It may take a while, but one day you may find yourself thinking that being single ain't so bad really. And then, once you've reached the stage where you think you can take a deep breath and go back in the dating game, just take it easy, try and make friends instead of lovers and take it one step at a time.

Remember, there is someone out there for you, somewhere. America is a huge place, and there are plenty of girls who would love a guy like you. Move on from your ex, but don't lose the hope that there are other, better girls out there looking for you. It may take time to find them, but don't rush it, take your time and let it happen. Try not to be too down-hearted. I know you won't feel like it now, but try to enjoy your singledom. And trust me when I say women don't care about how well you write. My brother-in-law is dyslexic, and my sister helps him with his spelling. They've been married for four years, and have recently had a gorgeous little girl and his dyslexia hasn't been a problem at all in their relationship. It's taken him a long time to come to terms with his problem and he's still struggling, but he's now working as a Technology teacher and he's also doing a part-time Open University degree course, so if you can try and overcome it and persevere, even when it feels like you aren't getting anywhere, then there's no reason why you can't achieve whatever you wish. I know it's frustrating, but it'll happen. Try to think positive and you'll achieve your goals, whatever they may be.

It's been a gorgeous sunny, hot day here in the UK and I'm feeling great. I want to spread some positive mood slime over this thread!

ghostdiva, I really, really hope you get well soon. Your health is the most important thing, so I do hope that things improve. I'm sending positive vibes and good wishes to you from England. And Fritz, please don't get too down-hearted. I know that there are a lot of new things on the horizon which may be scary and might impact on your fics and timeline, but what's most important is that you do this for fun. Keep your mojo working on those great fics and forget what Ramis might come up with. I'm sure the vast majority of true GB fans will prefer your fiction over any of Ramis' screwups!

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2008, 2:13 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Location: New York, New York. Manhattan Island (SoHo district)
I'm banking on a new comic or RGB coming to DVD.

Fritz, I've known you for a long time, and you never seemed like the type to hang it up and quit rather than take the opportunity to do something with it.

Every franchise known to man has reboots, some good, some bad. Reboots bring in fresh blood to the fandom, and it's people like US that are here to tell the story of "the original."

Personally, I think all things can be consolidated unless they're different in such a way that the original is unrecognizable.

Another property I know and love, Shadowrun, went through a VERY unsuccessful reboot, as the asshat who had the reigns wanted to "recreate" Shadowrun in HIS image, and pissed off MANY fans (including myself) and authors of the series. The property wasn't even recognizable as Shadowrun.

However, the RPG on which the franchise is based on just had its 4th edition come out, and it has breathed new life into the property, and I'm still happy to be a part of it.

Ghostbusters is no different. We enjoy the new, and go on with our day to day business within the franchise.