It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:00 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 1520 Next
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2019, 9:46 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Thank you as always for the comments.

Fritz wrote:
Interesting reveal that Emilia provided Oscar and Kevin's egg. As Oscar's half-sister, that does mean that Oscar's child will have some biological relation to him. Jessica's a lot closer, but that may have been the problem.

Besides all the other interesting aspects of this, it's one of those things in the spot-the-difference game that one can play with this stuff: I can't see GBOT Emilia doing anything like this. She's more of a villain, really, and a bit of a homophobic one at that!

Quote:
Jamie's new love interest is trans. Handled well as far as I can see.

I hope so! I've worried about it a little bit since reading a book review or two in which people (younger and more enlightened than I am) complain (if that's the right word! :?) about the representation of LGBTQ+ characters, but I don't suppose any of them are going to read this! Personally, I think it's okay to present this information as a revelation to Carl, as it's important to his characterisation. A canny reader might have already worked it out from Part 1 anyway, and the particularly eagle-eyed might even see it in Isabel's Character Index picture, wherein her biological gender can be discerned...

Quote:
Carl's reaction to Isabella...well, twenty years earlier it would have been a lot worse. He's trying, but I don't think that instinctive first "ungh" reaction to things not being exactly like he thinks they "should" be will ever go away. It's not optimum, but it's in character. Delightfully ironic that he's the old stick in the mud in the middle of a very sexually diverse family, all told.

Another thing that worried me (I do seem to worry these days!) was whether I was giving Carl what Jake calls a 'reset button' (hello, Dana Scully!), but I think that one was in fact completely unfounded. This whole story really shows how Carl has changed and what he's had to overcome, some of which - as you say, Fritz - is inevitably still there.

Quote:
Rose and the girlie mags: what this is hinting at is not a surprise based on the GBOT version of the character, who marries a woman in 2027.

Yep, no difference in terms of what Rose is into (nor Conchita, come to that), but she is discovering things differently and sooner than she did in GBOT. Truth to tell, I probably wouldn't have bothered referencing this if I'd known I was going to have more ideas to write up (ooh, mysterious hints... ;)), but it fits in quite well thematically with this story so I guess it's okay.

Quote:
The mention of someone named "John" got my attention, of course, but unless it ends up being important to the story, no need to go into more.

Jake already said it: the story will neither confirm nor deny exactly who John is (it's a suitably common name, after all :P). Personally, I like to think this does refer to John Spengler, but I also want to leave it ambiguous for readers who are thoroughbred EGB fans and not familiar with the GBOT (at least one or two do exist - I've had messages to prove it... honest!).

This story will be concluded on my birthday, July 19th, and very fascinating it will be too. :)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: July 19th, 2019, 8:39 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Summer Special: As Children Grow - Part 3, by me, with additional material by Jake.

Relationships are tested as events finally come to a head. Rose fights her demons, Conchita takes a chance, and Carl and James come to understand each other more fully.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: July 21st, 2019, 10:26 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
EGBFan wrote:
Summer Special: As Children Grow - Part 3, by me, with additional material by Jake.

Relationships are tested as events finally come to a head. Rose fights her demons, Conchita takes a chance, and Carl and James come to understand each other more fully.

A very satisfying conclusion. Carl will never be completely "woke" but as Eduardo points out in-story he's come a long way, and is going to keep trying to get better.

Quote:
Sarah's been there since my day, and she was always wanting to try out her crazy experiments on herself to prove they worked. Any day now, she's going to inject herself with this serum, and the Ghostbusters will find themselves in some kind of a Mr Hyde situation or something.'

Quote:
'I just got a call from John – he said Sarah's turned herself into a giant slug or something.'

I swear I keep picturing Holtzmann from GB2016 in my head when I read this stuff. :lol:

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2019, 1:23 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
As promised, here is my analysis about Carl and his two sons. What we've ended up with is a situation where Kevin and James both tried to keep the other one's world from falling apart by not mentioning the truth about Carl. In both cases, the reason for this attempt at fraternal protection was not that either thought the other was actually in danger of being homophobically abused in any way by Carl, but rather that neither brother wanted the other to think badly of their father. Personally, I find this rather powerful - the very epitome of the son (or sons, in this case) doing more than the father, and thus the human race grows and develops for the better.

The under-the-truck scene turned out very well in the end, with Kevin and James laying out their feelings fully and honestly, thus helping each other to reach as good a place as possible after this series of unfortunate events. Thanks to the tremendous effort Carl has put in to being a better father and a better person, he certainly deserves to have a good relationship with both his sons (and both his nieces, come to that) going forward from this point.

The observation about people (particularly teenagers) nowadays being blinkered about social, cultural and historical context outside their own time very much rings true with me, and I'm in the same camp as Kevin and Rose when it comes to labelling people, i.e. I don't feel the need to do it to myself or others and I think there are now far too many labels for most of them to hold any real meaning.

Here are some exciting things that are at least hinted at in the Summer Special that we will be coming back to: James/Harry, James/Isabel, Josh/Conchita, James/unnamed girlfriend, Conchita/unnamed boyfriend(s), Rose/?, Rose's best friend in Florida, Rose's friend Lucie Jackson and her brother Adam, Rose and Kevin as special cousins, Conchita and James as special cousins, Isabel/Conchita/James as a friendship group, Eduardo's role as Head Field Ghostbuster, how and when Kevin and Oscar ended up moving into Eduardo's old apartment, Lucy's surrogate pregnancy, Ella's quest for motherhood and, of course, those complicated Wallance/Venkman family dynamics.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2019, 2:01 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I think this story turned out well in the end too. Man, it was HARD to write! There are topics that have to be sensitively handled here (and I just know there are people out there who would disapprove of how I revealed that information about Isabel!); a few conversations had to be altered more than twice so characters (not Carl!) didn't seem unreasonable and/or jerks, and I had to have Eduardo talk through whether his feelings towards Carl were hypocritical because I wasn't sure if mine were! But together we reached the conclusion that it's okay to sympathise with Carl as long as he's trying as hard as he possibly can.

As Jake says, there's plenty more to come, including (as Jake does not say) some opportunities for the younger generation to make digs at the older, and thus make up for that comment about young people these days. I try not to let fictional characters get bogged down in my own personal opinions e.g. I'm not sure how far I agree or disagree with Rose and Kevin about labels, but Conchita can certainly be seen to disagree, and we could all do a lot worse than to be like her (in terms of our outlook and behaviour, that is; we can't all be beautiful).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: August 25th, 2019, 5:54 am 
Doberman
Doberman

On Sunday 1st September 2019 (yes, that's just one short week from today) we begin the final wrap-up of events in the Collinsverse (really final this time!) with the first call on our whistle-stop tour of Inserts, slices of life detailing thirty years' worth of significant events centred around the extended Rivera family.

The link above takes you to the index page where you can read titles and blurbs for all "Inserts", at least some of which should hopefully sound quite interesting. As well as being a series in itself, this one serves to slot little extra scenes ("little" in this case meaning five to ten pages of twelve-point Times New Roman) into the events we have written about already, and the span really is all-encompassing: the first Insert takes place during the actual TV season of Extreme Ghostbusters, while the final two (and their affiliate "Extensions") take place after our recently released Summer Special.

As I've mentioned, every Insert is a slice of life, while some also contain a moderately dramatic event and others do not. What they all contain is plenty of feelings - or as they are called nowadays, "feels" - and if you care about the characters even a fraction as much as we do, you should get some feels from the series too. There will be a new Insert every other Sunday, and as the index page will tell you, sometimes there won't even be that much of a gap between releases, so get ready for quite a ride!

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on September 3rd, 2019, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2019, 7:16 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Insert 1: Not Meant to Be, by me.

27 – 28 May 1997: Eduardo makes an important decision about his personal life. (This story straddles the events of the EGB episode 'The Unseen'.)
​Rated M

As you can see, this first Insert takes us almost back to the very beginning (of EGB, that is, not of GB generally or anything else for that matter). As such, there is a new addition to the Character Index, a place having been earned primarily by virtue of this character being canonical. As such, I also added Mayor McShane and Jensen at the same time (though their Collinsverse appearance was - yikes! - years ago), and I'm quite pleased with the screen caps I got of them so I sure would appreciate a few people going over to admire them. :D

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2019, 10:07 am 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
Insert 1: Not Meant to Be, by me.

27 – 28 May 1997: Eduardo makes an important decision about his personal life. (This story straddles the events of the EGB episode 'The Unseen'.)
​Rated M

As you can see, this first Insert takes us almost back to the very beginning (of EGB, that is, not of GB generally or anything else for that matter). As such, there is a new addition to the Character Index, a place having been earned primarily by virtue of this character being canonical. As such, I also added Mayor McShane and Jensen at the same time (though their Collinsverse appearance was - yikes! - years ago), and I'm quite pleased with the screen caps I got of them so I sure would appreciate a few people going over to admire them. :D

I remember you gave the GBOT version a little...complication...that Eduardo didn't find out about until years later. Since you seem to be in the "winding down" stage of the project, I doubt something that big is in the cards this time, but that's for you to know and us to find out.

And the screen caps are pretty good. You might consider adding a picture of an older Oscar though, whether it's an older Deutschendorf Brother or something from the picture generator you guys are using; that baby picture alone doesn't really do the guy justice.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2019, 1:58 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Looks like it's time for another "Well, actually" from me! Oscar has and always has had two pictures in our Character Index, the first being the GB2 screenshot and the second being the standard avatar picture that most of the other characters also have, complete with his trademark long blond hair and microphone. This is also true of Kevin, who has an EGB screenshot with a standard avatar pic underneath.

Rosey was having a good old fiddle with the index this afternoon, looking at some different options to make it clearer, and in the end we both agreed that it would be a good idea to mark with line dividers where one character's episode list ends and the next one begins. We both think this looks very good and is a significant improvement to the workability of the index, and thinking about just how many more characters are going to be added before the end, it really will help to make the page look as good and be as useful as possible. So all in all, we're quite pleased about your comment because of the result it led to.

As for the actual episode, it achieves the kind of tangible world-building that I really like to engage with and that only a truly dedicated fan can bring about successfully. As we're all well aware, EGB doesn't have a great deal of cross-episode continuity because it was written by a lot of different people coming at it from quite a few different angles. What Rosey has done here is cleverly build the events and developments of 'Witchy Woman', 'The Unseen' and 'Rage' into Eduardo's life in a coherent, believable and completely integrated way, and it also fits in perfectly with everything we already know about the Collinsverse both practically and thematically. A not inconsiderable achievement for five pages of twelve-point Times New Roman!

I understand Bess is coming away from her overall involvement with the Ghostbusters in a much better state than she did in a certain parallel universe, so I hope she's grateful for that. I think she'll take away mainly good feelings from her time with Eduardo, and so will he, but as Beth and the title both point out, sometimes these things just aren't meant to be. I've accepted this with Bess and Eduardo and I feel very at peace with the situation and regard it as an overall positive experience for all involved, but as we'll find out later with two other Collinsverse characters, I don't always find it that easy to let go emotionally when it comes to relationships ending.

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on September 15th, 2019, 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2019, 2:06 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Looks like it's time for another "Well, actually" from me! Oscar has and always has had two pictures in our Character Index, the first being the GB2 screenshot and the second being the standard avatar picture that most of the other characters also have, complete with his trademark long blond hair and microphone. This is also true of Kevin, who has an EGB screenshot with a standard avatar pic underneath.

Well, blank me...I'm going senile I guess lol. I don't know how in the heck I missed it. :x :oops:

PostPosted: September 4th, 2019, 9:41 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Again I say: thanks for the comments, guys. ;)

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
As for the actual episode, it achieves the kind of tangible world-building that I really like to engage with and that only a truly dedicated fan can bring about successfully. As we're all well aware, EGB doesn't have a great deal of cross-episode continuity because it was written by a lot of different people coming at it from quite a few different angles. What Rosey has done here is cleverly build the events and developments of 'Witchy Woman', 'The Unseen' and 'Rage' into Eduardo's life in a coherent, believable and completely integrated way, and it also fits in perfectly with everything we already know about the Collinsverse both practically and thematically. A not inconsiderable achievement for five pages of twelve-point Times New Roman!

Of course, this story is absolutely incompatible with EGB's airing order, but my Episode Chronology is an important part of the Collinsverse timeline and here's the proof. I actually got the idea to write this when it turned out I hadn't checked my facts properly about the American football season (I'm not even remotely interested in British football!), and moving 'Witchy Woman' to January made me realise that a suitable dating period for Eduardo would be from then up to 'The Unseen'. There may be the odd Ed/Ky shippy moment in the interim, but 'The Unseen' really is the first major development (I'll refrain from giving a detailed breakdown of what makes me say that), with more to come in episodes further down the line.

Fritz wrote:
I remember you gave the GBOT version a little...complication...that Eduardo didn't find out about until years later. Since you seem to be in the "winding down" stage of the project, I doubt something that big is in the cards this time, but that's for you to know and us to find out.

I wrote so much for GBOT, there were times when it got very dramatic, especially when I started revisiting one-off canon characters. This time, the three EGB guest stars I mentioned in reference to the Character Index have each featured in a story where I didn't really do anything to them, or certainly nothing major (unless you count Jensen's backstory that I made up). We do have some pretty major developments to come, but I don't mind revealing now that they're unlikely to provoke any Bess-watchers who may be in the audience.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: September 15th, 2019, 4:44 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Insert 2: Oscar's Guest, by me.

​19 – 21 March 1999: Kevin and Oscar enjoy their first extended visit together.
Rated T

This Insert takes place between our EGB virtual season and The Riveras, and consequently makes reference to events and feels from both of them. Obviously its main function is as a slice of life about some of the boy-on-boy interaction that played out when Kevin visited Oscar in Connecticut a few months after the Vigo business - this is their second meeting, if you count everything that happened in Back in the Picture as one meeting - but there's also some wider Collinsverse context to spot in relation to the boys' lives as they stand right now and/or look set to change in the near and not-so-near future.

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on October 13th, 2019, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2019, 3:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Insert 2: Oscar's Guest, by me.

​19 – 21 March 1999: Kevin and Oscar enjoy their first extended visit together.
Rated T

This Insert takes place between our EGB virtual season and The Riveras, and consequently makes reference to events and feels from both of them. Obviously its main function is as a slice of life about some of the boy-on-boy interaction that played out when Kevin visited Oscar in Connecticut a few months after the Vigo business - this is their second meeting, if you count everything that happened in Back in the Picture as one meeting - but there's also some wider Collinsverse context to spot in relation to the boys' lives as they stand right now and/or look set to change in the near and not-so-near future.

Can't really think of much to say about this one, other than another good slice-of-life read.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2019, 7:46 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

This one will certainly fit in seamlessly for anyone taking advantage of the Story Chronology Jake is compiling, with references to the Riveras' upcoming Cozumel trip and to Oscar's impending sleepover at Kevin's. I don't know whether this was deliberate (perhaps Jake will tell us), but Oscar's attitude towards Jessica and chess is consistent with their game of Guess Who?, all the way back in the finale of our EGB Virtual Season (which, to the characters, was not long ago at all).

There's also a private joke in here to do with the signs on Oscar's bedroom door. I don't know who he thinks wants to touch his plectrum collection, but I'm positive his little sister has no interest in doing so! :lol:

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: September 19th, 2019, 5:07 am 
Doberman
Doberman

I enjoyed thinking about what gaps I'd like to fill in with slices of life, and Kevin and Oscar came to my mind a heck of a lot during these thought processes, which certainly won't come as a surprise to anyone. Here I wanted to explore their feelings towards each other and their families at this point in time, and I was certainly aware that I was tapping back into a recurring theme of Oscar playing board games with Kevin and/or Jessica as a way of bringing some of those feelings to light.

We can also see that Oscar is finding his trips to England something of a drag, and Kevin is uncertain how Kylie and Eduardo's relationship is going to affect his own life. I feel that these both work well as 11-year-old thoughts/worries and I enjoyed going back to take a quick look at them again. I also enjoyed having the boys interact with each other around the house in various ways, showing how their relationship is already developing into something very special.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 1520 Next