It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:15 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 1620 Next
PostPosted: September 29th, 2019, 7:58 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Insert 3: The L Word, by me.

6 – 7 April 1999: Eduardo and Kylie take a big step in their relationship.
Rated M

And now, the time has come for me to explain about Extensions, for this story has its own Extension: Head, Heart, Loins (Chapter 3 Excerpt). The adult version of this story has been available at aff.org for some time now; the excerpt is a 'clean' section (that is, clean enough to be rated T on EGB Fan's EGB Fans) which we felt deserved a home on the website. (That's why it seems like it should really be part of the Insert itself; 'Head, Heart Loins' was actually written around 'The L Word', though the latter is only now being released.)

Some of our upcoming Inserts will also have Extensions: one more excerpt, then no fewer than four stories which are detailed enough to have their own release date, a week after the Insert (this means that, on these occasions, there will be releases three Sundays in a row). In every case, there is an adult version available elsewhere, for those curious and/or dedicated enough to find it (well, it shouldn't be hard - er - difficult).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2019, 9:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
EGBFan wrote:
Insert 3: The L Word, by me.

6 – 7 April 1999: Eduardo and Kylie take a big step in their relationship.
Rated M

And now, the time has come for me to explain about Extensions, for this story has its own Extension: Head, Heart, Loins (Chapter 3 Excerpt). The adult version of this story has been available at aff.org for some time now; the excerpt is a 'clean' section (that is, clean enough to be rated T on EGB Fan's EGB Fans) which we felt deserved a home on the website. (That's why it seems like it should really be part of the Insert itself; 'Head, Heart Loins' was actually written around 'The L Word', though the latter is only now being released.)

Some of our upcoming Inserts will also have Extensions: one more excerpt, then no fewer than four stories which are detailed enough to have their own release date, a week after the Insert (this means that, on these occasions, there will be releases three Sundays in a row). In every case, there is an adult version available elsewhere, for those curious and/or dedicated enough to find it (well, it shouldn't be hard - er - difficult).

Ah yes, the stories where the unrequited lovers become unrequited. These are always fun to write and read. Well, there are some that aren't fun to read, like when the two lovers to be are completely wrong for each other and it's a trainwreck...but this is definitely not that. A lot more heart-to-heart talking than in the last such story I did but the end result (hurf hurf) was the same. :roll:

Thanks as always for a good read.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2019, 3:56 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
As I said after the first Insert, it takes a very special kind of fan dedication to build a tangible, fully immersive world based on a show like EGB, and this is particularly true of developing relationships that are obviously ready to move on to the next level but you know never would have done so on TV for fear of messing with the status quo and ruining the show. That's not to say that some shows haven't actually been ruined by messing with the status quo, which is why everyone should realise when it's time to shake things up with a spin-off like The Riveras!

Fortunately for Eduardo and Kylie, Rosey has always been there to move things on for them at the right time and ensure their relationship pans out in the right way, as it does here with those all-important L-word confessions. The addition of the real-life cat antics that I can easily relate to my own feline experiences over the past few decades is a touch that I certainly enjoy too.

I was vociferous in the idea that the "leaky nipples" excerpt would make a good Extension for this one, and I still think it does. As I've said in a comment about that particular story on a certain other website, I do feel that Eduardo's relationship with Kevin is by far the most positive aspect of his pre-Ghostbuster life that the cartoon presents to us (as a brief but clear aspect of 'Rage') and it's nice to include that memory on our website as part of the whole Rivera family history/interplay/dynamics that we've become so deeply immersed in.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2019, 5:10 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Thanks as always for the comments, guys. These are nearly all ideas I've explored in the past, probably even before my fanfic activities settled into the GBOT continuity, and a version of them needed to go into the Collinsverse too; this is certainly a major event between the Virtual Season and The Riveras that needed to be Inserted. I do think, though, this is the first time I worked in the idea of Eduardo defacing Catholic school statues - but I've thought about it from time to time over the last fifteen years or more, since I heard the true story from my psychology teacher (I adapted Eduardo's version from the original 'big, fat felt-tip pen' and 'various bits of... hair').

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: October 13th, 2019, 5:31 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Insert 4: The Bigger Picture, by me.

11 October 1999: Kevin and his seventh-grade classmates go on a residential trip. (This story takes place during The Riveras: 'All in a Day's Work'.)
Rated T

As avid fans of the Collinsverse will doubtless recall, Kevin and the rest of his class went on an activity holiday about a month into seventh grade. This is the story of what happened on their first day at Little Canada, during which time Carl was solving a murder with the cast of NYPD Blue back in New York.

This is the only Insert that's exclusively "Kevin-and-the-Gang-y", which is certainly not a mistake or oversight as they've already had loads of screen-time, not least in their their very own spin-off series. However, I felt this story was well worth doing because it explores Kevin and the gang as we have hardly ever seen them before. This is the time when Kevin, Jandro and Lucy have formed a very strong friendship trio but are extremely wary of Michael and not particularly friendly with Ella, and no one except Kevin has even met Oscar yet!

As for Michael and Ella themselves, the last we heard of their relationship was Ella threatening to end it if Michael carried on being a jerk to people for no reason, and Michael begging desperately not to get dumped. So you see, these group dynamics are largely unexplored and I was interested to go back and take a quick look at them, and how they slot into the journey to becoming friends for life.

This one also contains a scene that was promised a while back: the exchange between twelve-year-old Michael and twelve-year-old Mark Warner that made it pretty much a certainty that Michael would end up giving Mark a thorough pasting someday.

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on February 16th, 2020, 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 11:36 am 
Administrator
Administrator

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Insert 4: The Bigger Picture, by me.

11 October 1999: Kevin and his seventh-grade classmates go on a residential trip. (This story takes place during The Riveras: 'All in a Day's Work'.)
Rated T

As avid fans of the Collinsverse will doubtless recall, Kevin and the rest of his class went on an activity holiday about a month into seventh grade. This is the story of what happened on their first day at Little Canada, during which time Carl was solving a murder with the cast of NYPD Blue back in New York.

This is the only Insert that's exclusively "Kevin-and-the-Gang-y", which is certainly not a mistake or oversight as they've already had loads of screen-time, not least in their their very own spin-off series. However, I felt this story was well worth doing because it explores Kevin and the gang as we have hardly ever seen them before. This is the time when Kevin, Jandro and Lucy have formed a very strong friendship trio but are extremely wary of Michael and not particularly friendly with Ella, and no one except Kevin has even met Oscar yet!

As for Michael and Ella themselves, the last we heard of their relationship was Ella threatening to end it if Michael carried on being a jerk to people for no reason, and Michael begging desperately not to get dumped. So you see, these group dynamics are largely unexplored and I was interested to go back and take a quick look at them, and how they slot into the journey to becoming friends for life.

This one also contains a scene that was promised a while back: the exchange between twelve-year-old Michael and twelve-year-old Mark Warner that made it pretty much a certainty that Michael would end up giving Mark a thorough pasting someday.

You really do these "slice of life" stories really well. The irony of seeing Micheal back when he was still antagonistic to Kevin (because, actually, he felt threatened by him) when we know how that turned out is fun.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2019, 8:52 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

This story certainly follows on very well from The Riveras episode 'September: Just Thinking About Tomorrow', and fills a gap in Michael's personal journey. It also adds to the heap of homophobia that forms the foundation (and more) of Mark Warner's character; one could compare Michael's reaction to that of Sipowicz when he's speaking to Carl in the parallel The Riveras episode (I suppose, if one had a mind to, one could write an entire essay comparing and contrasting Mark and Carl, and their reasons for broaching the subject in the first place).

Some kids love this adventure holiday stuff, I know, but neither Jake nor I ever counted ourselves among them and I know that the parts of this story based on truth come from observation rather than participation. I've just remembered Jake telling me what a child said when advised to use the chemical toilet in one of those places; I wish I'd thought of it sooner so it might have had a chance of getting into the story! (I don't think there's any chance of it sneaking in post-release, as this story has been edited down to the required length of Inserts, but I'll refrain from typing it out just in case.)

I'd like to say, women and teenage girls really do need private showers and flushing toilets (with a bin) more urgently than a lot of men seem to realise (as the still in existence tampon tax will attest), but boys shouldn't have to put up with chemical toilets either. It's the communal showers about which Kevin asks why they even exist; equally, that question could be applied to chemical toilets (okay, maybe builders need to take them on projects, but that's going off on a bit of a tangent).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: October 17th, 2019, 4:20 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Thank you both for these excellent comments. Fritz, I'm really happy to hear you're appreciating the time-hopping slices of life aspect of this whole thing, as I know we've both very much enjoyed visualising and writing up these Inserts based on what we think are the most important/interesting/relevant unseen moments. Certainly for me the Collinsverse now feels much more tangible and real in many ways than our own universe, and I know we both agree that it makes a lot more sense than our own universe and we've worked very hard to make it that way, unlike whoever is in charge of what happens in this universe!

The Kevin and Michael stuff was certainly at the heart of why I wanted to write up the character dynamics in this story, and adding Ella into those interactions was also a particular pleasure for me. You may notice that at the end of this story, Jandro voices a thought that both Eduardo and Lucy have come out with to Kevin in the past (actually it's the future in both cases, if we're talking in terms of story chronology rather than release dates) which is that he could have had a romantic relationship with Ella at this stage if he'd wanted one. Personally, I'm inclined to agree that he definitely could have! What with Mike having quite some way to go before he sorts himself out, and Kevin being such a nice, caring, tall, strong boy (and you don't even need to share Ella's sexual preferences to realise what a good thing that would be to have!) I really do think Jandro's assessment of Ella's potential reaction to Kevin asking her out is likely to be very accurate, with the possible exception of the part about the dirty pillows.

Of course, at some point down the line both Kevin and Ella would have realised they were with the wrong person and taken steps to remedy the situation, but Kevin and Michael would never have become such close friends (or probably even friends at all!) under those circumstances, which would be a great shame for both of them and would have vastly retarded Michael's personal and social development. On the whole, then, we must be very grateful that Kevin is always true to himself as best he can be based on how he understands his own feelings at any given time, which is why he ends up with such a great gang to lead!

Ever since it was revealed that they were both happy to shower naked at school, I've had a vision of Michael and Mark standing next to each other under the water and really butting heads. This is something I've also observed in real life: twelve-year-old boys who've known each other less than a month standing in the shower with their genitals dangling freely while they argue heatedly about nothing, while those of us who are only prepared to disrobe in front of people we feel really comfortable with (like Kevin and Jandro) are desperately manoeuvring towels and shorts to make sure we don't show anything to boys we've known since we were four years old.

Certainly Mark Warner is the kind of putz who'd stand there with his bells hanging lower than his rope and mindlessly antagonise a volatile guy who's at least twice his size (in every sense of the word!) and then be surprised when he gets a pasting for it. You can decide for yourself how much Michael's hatred of the homophobic teasing is based on personal affront and how much it's based on general disapproval of Mark's disgusting attitude to homosexuality. Personally I think it's a real mix of these two things, as Michael has not yet come to terms with his own feelings on the subject and wouldn't like to be thought of as gay, yet he knows in his heart that what Mark is saying is utterly ignorant and wrong.

I'll tell you the characters I can actually relate to from my own personal experience in this one: Martin and Phoebe! Like them, I was given a clipboard and a lot of power to assess adventure holiday activities at one time. It was marvellous. Finally, what did the eleven-year-old boy say to explain fully and succinctly why he didn't want to use the chemical toilet? "Because there's a huge log of s**t!"

PostPosted: October 27th, 2019, 6:39 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Insert 5: The Passage of Time, by me.

18 February 2004: On one of their last remaining Buffy Nights, Eduardo and Kevin take stock.
Rated K+

This one very much is a slice of life, as it's nothing more or less than a quick peek into Eduardo and Kylie's apartment to listen in on two conversations that are packed with feels. There were certain things that I felt Kevin and Eduardo (my two favourite Riveras) must have said to each other sometime between the Christmas Special and the birth of the babies (Conchita and James) so I decided to put them all together in one very open heart-to-heart that takes place just after they've found out that they won't be having very many more Buffy Nights, as Angel has been cancelled.

I've also made one of my somewhat rare attempts to write some Eduardo and Kylie, which is something I've enjoyed doing when the occasion has seemed right. I don't know what came over me with this one, writing a slice of life featuring three canon characters talking about their feelings and mentioning four other canon characters by name while doing so (although the inclusion of one of those was all Rosey's doing, I must admit) but I enjoyed writing it anyway, and here it is!

Last edited by KevinsMensPyjamas on November 24th, 2019, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 9:51 am 
Administrator
Administrator

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Insert 5: The Passage of Time, by me.

18 February 2004: On one of their last remaining Buffy Nights, Eduardo and Kevin take stock.
Rated K+

This one very much is a slice of life, as it's nothing more or less than a quick peek into Eduardo and Kylie's apartment to listen in on two conversations that are packed with feels. There were certain things that I felt Kevin and Eduardo (my two favourite Riveras) must have said to each other sometime between the Christmas Special and the birth of the babies (Conchita and James) so I decided to put them all together in one very open heart-to-heart that takes place just after they've found out that they won't be having very many more Buffy Nights, as Angel has been cancelled.

I've also made one of my somewhat rare attempts to write some Eduardo and Kylie, which is something I've enjoyed doing when the occasion has seemed right. I don't know what came over me with this one, writing a slice of life featuring three canon characters talking about their feelings and mentioning four other canon characters by name while doing so (although the inclusion of one of those was all Rosey's doing, I must admit) but I enjoyed writing it anyway, and here it is!

Quote:
'but when Angel turned into a Muppet... well, that was funny!'

Everything's funnier with Muppets!

I somehow never ended up being a "Buffyverse" viewer, but that episode is so legendary even I've heard of it. :lol:

I think the closest I can relate to this was back in 1994, when Star Trek: The Next Generation had it's finale. I'd been watching since the beginning, and somehow knew things would never be the same. I never got into the other shows the same way, and certainly didn't latch onto the JJ Abrams reboot (I couldn't even finish Star Trek XII; Abrams is even worse regurgitating better work in Star Trek than he is Star Wars). In hindsight, it really was the end of my ST fandom.

(If I'd known the last episode of RGB was going to be the last episode going into it, I could imagine that I'd be in a similar mood...especially as "20,000 Leagues Under the Street" wasn't too bad by the standards of the non-JMS era)

Man am I getting way off topic here...

Another good one.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2019, 8:27 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Quote:
'I hope the rest of the season is as good as that one and today's episode, so the series goes out on a high... and the Buffyverse with it.'

Ouch... :?

There sure is a lot of cross-referencing in this one, including Eduardo and Kylie's 'London' episode, which I think Jake had recently read when he wrote this. The inclusion of the Buffyverse, and Eduardo mainly being in it for Kevin's sake, all stems from ideas way back in the Halloween episode of the Virtual Season - mainly to acknowledge that I was using an old and worn idea, recently (from the characters' point of view) used in a Buffy episode, which led onto other ideas that I didn't imagine would be expanded this much.

This isn't the only time Eduardo and Kylie have made or will make comments about what Roland has been up to; indeed, I did request that these be included here in Jake's story, in order to get across the idea that he (Roland, not Jake) really wants to get on and have his 'whole bunch' of kids once Kylie is expecting her first. One or two names have been mentioned up to this point (okay, two, to be precise), and all will be revealed down the line...

In the meantime, we know precisely which babies are being discussed in this story, and it's nice to look into these moments before Conchita and James arrive in these characters' worlds and change them completely.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: October 31st, 2019, 6:33 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Fritz, I'm really pleased the set-up of this one caused you to relive some feels from your own life as a TV viewer, as this implies at least a ring of emotional truth to the story. Of course, I remember now - Kevin's actually setting himself up for a big disappointment with his hopes about the quality of the remaining episodes. Perhaps Angel's limp to the finish won't really hit either of the guys too hard as I think they actually are emotionally ready to move on from the Buffyverse, though not of course from the bond that's always made them enjoy their Buffy Nights quite so much.

Yes, I had just read the Jack the Ripper story when I wrote this one, and I think that little joke/reference helped me realise quite quickly what its title should be. It's rather a happy coincidence that Angel came to an end at this point in Kevin and Eduardo's lives, leading them nicely into this massive stock-take of a conversation at such an appropriate time, which to me is yet another sign that all these stories exist very literally in an alternate universe that we've been tapping into, and that it makes a great deal more sense than our own universe.

As I've said before with reference to Oscar's wider family, I'm very happy with the scope of expansion that the Collinsverse has received from the Summer Special and these Inserts - not too little, not too much - and I really like Roland's kids as a part of that as well. We already know he has Adam and Lucie by 2022, but we don't yet know who else might be in that "whole bunch" of his. When we find out, the links between the Collinsverse and EGB itself will be stronger than ever both practically and thematically, and there'll be lots more potential material for adult-themed stories from both of us!

PostPosted: November 10th, 2019, 7:03 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Insert 6: A House into a Home, by me.

Eduardo and Kylie get ready to welcome home their new daughter.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: November 13th, 2019, 2:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
Insert 6: A House into a Home, by me.

Eduardo and Kylie get ready to welcome home their new daughter.

Pagan is the real star of this story.

:lol:

PostPosted: November 14th, 2019, 5:32 am 
Doberman
Doberman

I like the cat bits too, especially because I can visualise our various cats doing all those things, albeit not with an actual cot. The tentative peace that exists between Carl and Eduardo at this point is a very good thing, but we can see that their uneasy/antagonistic relationship from the real show is still very much a factor, which is just one example of the changing character relationships in the Collinsverse that are realistically paced and pleasingly realised.

During my latest read of this one, I spotted an interesting piece of continuity with the previous Insert concerning certain family dynamics in Carl's house since Kevin and Oscar's bromance became a romance. Here Carl describes Kevin as "distant", while last time Kevin described Carl as "quiet". I think we can be pretty sure that this is the absolute lowest point of their relationship, or certainly it's the part where they're communicating the least effectively, i.e. hardly at all.

I suspect that neither one wants to start much of a conversation as they both imagine each other to be holding back a venomous tirade that might well come pouring out with a little encouragement. But of course neither of them actually does want to do this, so they've stopped communicating because they both think the other one is kind of forcing them into it. Interestingly enough, Kevin and Carl will be having a real conversation in the next Insert (probably their first in about eight months) which hopefully starts to get them back on track.

Speaking of next time, we'll be continuing with the "baby trilogy" that's been kicked off here, and another, overlapping trilogy will begin. As the next three stories have been written by me, you should be able to guess which relationship is at the heart of all three of them and links them together emotionally.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 1620 Next