It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:08 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Re: EGB Fan Season
PostPosted: July 30th, 2015, 7:57 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Episode 6: Proof Positive, by Jake.

Egon receives a visit from an old college friend named Bill, who believes wholeheartedly in the existence of Bigfoot. When Bill wants to prove to Egon that he is right, the two take an eventful trip up into the Appalachian Mountains.

Coming soon:
Episode 7: An Arm and a Leg, by me.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: August 6th, 2015, 11:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Sorry I didn't comment on this story sooner--GenCon was last weekend, and some stuff got lost in the shuffle.

A neat, low-action character piece. I do have to point out Egon has dealt with vampires before--"Noone Comes To Lupusville", "Transylvania Homesick Blues", and the execrable "My Left Fang"--but interestingly enough, the way the story and its message develops, it really doesn't matter--it's something he can't prove to the others because they haven't seen it with their own eyes. He'd just be asking them to trust him, which the EGBs undoubtedly would, but again, that's not the point.

:)

PostPosted: August 6th, 2015, 12:19 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Thanks for commenting, Fritz. I'm prepared for GenCon these days, as it's kept you busy before during school holiday time, when I can drop out of real life and do stupid fan stuff.

So can Jake in fact, and happily he's been off the radar this week whilst doing some more hands-on (non-GB) fan stuff in another part of the country, so it's worked out quite well. I think I can preempt part of his response, though. So, in my own words: dude, we do our research. :geek:

Egon gave Kylie and Garrett an enigmatic look. 'I believe in what I have seen proof of...'

'Are you telling me you've seen vampires?' asked Garrett.
'Did I say that?' Egon returned, smiling slightly.

Always read between the lines when you're talking to an English teacher (or her brother). ;)

Jake's a never quite got over his puzzlement at Garrett being so dismissive of vampires in 'Killjoys', so I guess that whole thing is the result (and I may have to build on it for episode 8 - we shall see). He actually asked me if the Real Ghostbusters had ever encountered vampires, and somehow I remembered 'No One Comes to Lupusville'. Then both of us independently looked at the Wiki, and found out the rest (in fact I think Jake watched two episodes on Youtube - all but the 'execrable' one), but obviously no details were used here.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: August 12th, 2015, 7:57 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Episode 7: An Arm and a Leg, by me.

Garrett is in for a frustrating time when his mother comes to visit, as she just can't accept that her son is happy to be handicapable. Meanwhile, a wish-granting entity has come to give people just what they want, but for the highest price.

Coming soon(ish):
Episode 8: Putting the Goth in Gothic, also by me.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 10:07 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I wish I could come up with snazzy new ways to say "Another great story" but unless I dig out a thesaurus, I'm kinda stuck.

Much like Steve Griffin, Susan Miller is pretty close to how I remember you writing the GBOT version--a bit overbearing when it comes to her son. I guess since Garrett's "disability" is congenital, she may blame herself for it deep down. "If only I had done something different when I was pregnant/had better genes/ect this wouldn't have happened to him." But as Garrett puts it here, since he never had use of his legs, he doesn't miss something he never had.

(And yeah, I did enjoy the flirty Egon and Janine bits. Very in character for post-"Back In the Saddle". :) )

PostPosted: August 17th, 2015, 6:10 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Thanks as always for your comments, Fritz. I must confess, I have no clear memory of what I did with Garrett's mother about ten years ago, maybe even more, and I didn't bother looking because I had a clear idea of how she would be portrayed in this episode-y format. I guess maybe I only ever had one idea for her in the first place. :D

There's a chance the next episode will get written, or mostly written, in the week beginning September 21st. It looks like my workplace has that week off for Eid, which will be a nice relaxing break for those of us who don't celebrate it. Or it may take a little longer - only time will tell. ;)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: September 18th, 2015, 9:34 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Episode 8: Putting the Goth in Gothic, by me.

A Gothic literature class is causing friction between Eduardo and Kylie. He is diligently working his way through Dracula, while she is behind on the reading. Then, when real-life happenings start to echo events in Bram Stoker's classic, Eduardo must put his reading to practical use.

Coming soon:
Episode 9: Book Smarts, by Jake.

By the way, this episode marks the halfway point of our virtual season. 8-)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 12:34 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I hadn't posted a comment on this one yet? Oops...

First vampires are talked about in the last story, then we ~sorta~ see vampires in this one. I guess the next step is actual vampires :lol:

I actually found the lit professor trying to become a vampire both funny and a little bit pathetic. Based on some of the stuff that went around when "Twilight" was at the peak of it's popularity, he was a little ahead of his time.

Thanks again for your great work.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2015, 9:36 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Episode 9: Book Smarts, by Jake.

Roland has something on his mind, and has been distant and distracted. When he tries to think things through to a conclusion, the process leads to some alarming changes that have his friends seriously worried.

Coming soon:
Episode 10: Snake Eyes, also by Jake.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: October 7th, 2015, 7:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tell Jake it was another good one.

Spoilers:

We've discussed before how "boring" Roland is, so any ideas to do anything interesting with him are welcome. They all seem to involve him getting possessed or something, but we'll take what we can get :lol:

Roland eventually does get his doctorate in GBOT Fan Fic canon; it was in 2004 as seen in "Chronicles of Gozer" It obviously took a little longer since he stayed in New York instead of going to Stanford.

Love the Harry Potter references, and sly acknowledgement of where they were in 1998 (with only one book out here in the Colonies, and well before the movies)

PostPosted: October 10th, 2015, 4:35 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
I've read your story great job! Keep up the great work on it.

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors

PostPosted: November 8th, 2015, 9:57 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Episode 10: Stony Silence, by Jake.

(You might have noticed the name change - don't worry about it!)

The Ghostbusters are called to investigate an incident of people being turned to stone under the gaze of a snakelike creature. They quickly identify it thanks to an imported copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, but that can't explain the worrying lack of PKE readings.

Coming soon:
Episode 11: Halloween Party, by me.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: November 10th, 2015, 11:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

And more Harry Potter jokes. Jake's obviously having a lot of fun with the "Here's what they knew in 1998 in the US, here's what they knew in 1998 in the UK, and here's what we all know now because it's seventeen years later and the whole story's finished" angles.

Really interesting twist on all the usual tropes--the basilisk isn't really "supernatural" and, for once, the way to put all of its victims back to normal isn't as quick and easy.

And Roland gets some more character building--this has been an interesting angle Jake's been exploring in the last couple stories. And Roland didn't even have to get possessed this time!

PostPosted: November 11th, 2015, 1:19 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Thank you always for your comments, Fritz.

Jake certainly is keeping those Harry Potter references coming, and I've no idea whether there are more in store for episodes 13 and 14 (probably he doesn't know either). It's entirely possible a small, no-details mention will make the final cut of 'Halloween Party', if I can't find a better way to steer the conversation where I want it.

I think it's good to have such a sci-fi-heavy episode in the mix. I have to admit, Jake was always better at the practical subjects at school, and I would never have thought of all that (I'm more artistic... I hope :D).

When we began this endeavour, we were both aware that Roland really needed not to be side-lined, and I think at some time all three of us (i.e. me, Jake and Fritz) have said that Roland's character strengths are being both bloody nice, and the most capable member of the team. It's just too bad that kind, clever, well-adjusted people are so boring! I hope you noticed that episode 3, by me, was the first one about Roland. :mrgreen:

Somewhat interestingly (or perhaps not), it's ideas for Garrett that are thin on the ground.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: November 19th, 2015, 1:15 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Episode 11: Halloween Party, by me.

Celebrations are on at the firehouse, but Eduardo and Roland have other things to do. Then suddenly they find themselves in the middle of a TV special come to life, and must battle through chaos to get to that party. Their teammates, however, are not exactly themselves.

Coming soon:
Episode 12: Memento Mori, also by me.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3