It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:30 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: May 4th, 2020, 7:06 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
So Hasbro is re-popping the Kenner Series 1 Real Ghostbusters figures. While I haven't seen them yet at the local Wal-Marts as of this writing, it did inspire me to go into my closet and dig up...

Ogre and my original figures from 1986! As Ogre and I were a little older than most of the kids playing with them, they're in pretty good shape other than the self-applied paint apps and the fact we snipped off the proton beams.

Slimer was part of a two-part squirter set with a little rubbery ECTO-1. The whole reason I bought it back in the day is because he fit the scale of the figures a lot better than the massive Kenner Slimer/"Green Ghost"s did.

A few others too:

This is a repaint of a Power Pack Janine I did a few years later. I snuck an Egon figure with me to a Micheals store to try and colormatch the flight suits and straps as close as possible; I of course went for the flight suit seen in issue 22 of Now's RGB series, and not any of the vomitous pink ones from the show (Fright Feature Janine kind of took care of that anyway)

Egon's still got his first printing proton pack; Janine's came from a later Series 1 issue, as you can see by the cord attachments.

Just for fun I gave Egon a DST PKE Meter. It's about the same size as the one that came with Screaming Heroes Egon, and is a lot more accurate looking to boot.

Here she is with the whole team:

I also, back in the day, purchased an extra set of the core four Power Pack Heroes because I wanted to try this:

Gozer battle Ghostbusters! And a Screaming Heroes Janine that I lopped the "Kath Soucie" head off of and glued on a "Laura Summer" one from another Power Pack Janine. (I realize I bought at least four of those: the one I turned into RGB#22 Janine, the one I decapitated and made that Screaming Heroes Janine out of, one I "fixed" the paint apps on her glasses and eyes, and one I left completely stock).

Ray also journeyed with me for paint matching, as you can see comparing my Series 1 Ray with the painted Power Pack Ray. It also shows off the fact that, well, the years have not been friendly to the paint apps--I actually lost the repaints for several years, and they got knocked around during that time.

I may have to dig up more soon.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2020, 11:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It probably doesn't surprise anyone familiar with my fan fic work that Power Pack Janine is the figure that I bought the single most copies of; four.

From left to right:

-Completely unaltered "stock" copy

-Some paint apps to her glasses, eyes, and earrings, to bring them closer to the cartoon colors (I went with the yellow earrings that she wore with her blue outfit, which I liked better, rather than the blue earrings from the yellow and orange one that basically became her standard beginning in 1987 on ABC.)

-Repainted to resemble the Ghostbuster flight suit she wore in Now's RGB#22; basically the same color as Egon's, but with orange collar and cuffs instead of pink.

-The head I took off of a Power Pack Janine (I seem to have lost the body over the interving three decades) and glued to the body of a Screaming Heroes Janine. (I also seem to have lost the original Screaming Heroes head, but since it resembled the 1987-1988 ABC version, no great loss in my estiimation)

Secondmost, and again probably not a surprise, Series 1 Egon.

A difference here is that the other two Egons seen here were repainted to serve as different characters. The first Egon, the one I got for Christmas in 1986, is in the middle (obviously, he's been modified to have his collar and cuffs painted)

On the left is, well, I'll call him the prototype of Edison Spengler, Egon's Dad. He ended up being alive in our old universe, something I have no intention of ever reprising in the Ectozone/GBOT/8932 timeline. But it was interesting for Ogre and me back in the day.

And on the right is the prototype of Johnathan Christopher Spengler Egon's son. His character design was obviously less imaginative than the evolved version, just a clone of Egon with a pallet swap of his mother's hair and glasses colors (I guess episodes like "If I Were A Witch Man" and "Egon's Dragon" could be used to justify that, of course, but I like the more individualized design I ended up with better.)

And yeah, I did have a second Screaming Heroes Janine that I repainted to be the prototype of John's sister, Eden, but that one seems to have gone missing over the years too.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2020, 12:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

So, due to somebody mentioning it in a Youtube video about the Kenner RGB figures, I found out about this place:

Charlie's Custom Toy Shop

He makes replacements/upgrades for old Kenner proton packs (and has just started to make some for the new Hasbro repops, which use a slightly different connection peg); as the above pictures show, I still have proton packs...but one of them started to fall apart when I took the above pictures and, dammit, his packs look so good. So I ordered six:

Snazzy, right? The packs can be manufactured in Series 1 blue, Slimed Heroes purple, or movie-accurate black. After some consideration, I went with the Kenner blue. Streams are available in the four classic Series 1 colors (red, orange, yellow, green) as well as pink and glow-in-the-dark white. Hm...why, since I need six proton packs for six characters, that worked out perfectly:

(I know...kinda sexist to have Janine using the pink one...but she did wear pink some, even in the Season 1-2 days, and it's kinda close to Egon's red. If Charlie'd offered a more purplish beam I'd have gone with that...or if he'd offered a blue one I'd have gotten that one for Louis and let Janine have the white one)

(Also, you can order them in any ratio you want. But like the old school packs, I wanted a separate color for each character.)

Oh yeah...here's the part that makes them 100% better than the old Kenner pack, and even the new Hasbro ones:

The proton beams are removable!!! Why the hell didn't Kenner think of that in 1986??? The packs can have beams, but you don't have to mangle them to have the Ghostbusters wear them "properly".

Here's the back of the CCTS pack, with an old Kenner back (that has seen much better days) for comparison:

It gets better. Here's the thing that actually got my attention first:

Holy fucking shit! Kenner-compatible slime blowers!!! Or I guess if they're Kenner-compatible I should call them "ecto chargers"? :lol:

The mood slime streams are also removable, and are available in purple and pink. So I got one of each. If I were him, though, I'd consider maybe a yellow/orange stream (per the mood slime in "Partners In Slime"). Or even black, even though that wasn't in the show, but it'd make a great option for GBVG fans.

Back of the slime blowers:

"Happy New Year, Vigo!!!"

Now, as if Charlie didn't want my money enough already, he also sold an accessory pack:

Four PKE meters that resemble the pilot/Kenner role playing toy meter (compare to the oversize, bright yellow Screaming Heroes Egon meter) and four ghost traps. The Screaming Heroes Venkman ghost trap might be a little better, but try getting four of those all at once. The four belts are compatible with the four Series 1 figures and subsequent repops (Power Pack, Slimed Heroes, Ecto-Glow, and even the Hasbro RGB Classics) which are designed to hold a trap and a meter apiece. There was even one set of ecto goggles, which I didn't even see advertised on the web site!

Egon and Ray model the new equipment:

Suffice it to say, I'm quite pleased with this purchase.

About the only down side I can think of is this:

The pegs are a little larger than the holes on the Kenner figures. On the Series 1, it's recommended you actually insert the pack rotated 45%, and then gently twist it into position. It works great. For the Power Pack and Slimed Heroes, you actually have to expand the back hole a bit for them to work. But the downside is, that after this they won't work with the old proton packs or the Power Packs; the expanded hole is just too big to hold them. I think in a pinch I can make it work by placing a very tiny rubber band onto the old pack peg to grip it, though.

(And note, again, that these particular ones don't work with the Hasbro ones at all. But also as mentioned, Charlie does sell Hasbro-compatible ones)

But if your old packs are broken or gone, or even simply, like me, you want an upgrade, these get my highest recommendation!

PostPosted: December 5th, 2020, 1:23 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Leo
This is some awesome stuff. I am a father to seven year old twin boys, I'd showed them Ghostbusters before and they liked it okay, but nothing special. Last month I found an old Fright Features Egon in the attic and it has got Ben hooked. We watched all the movies and are making our way through the cartoon. He loves it, and Ghostbusters toys is what he wants for Christmas. He has used his pocket money to get a few pieces off eBay, but I myself have managed to get him quite a few pieces in good to great condition that he is so excited to wake up to. I have to admit, I'm just as excited myself, my best Christmas ever was the year I woke up to a ton of GB stuff. I look forward to sharing what he gets with this board. :D

PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 9:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Holy shit! I'd basically given up, but then yesterday I went into the Wal-Mart in Avon and...

I almost got greedy and pulled more money out of my GenCon fund to get a second set to actually open, but decided that still have a pretty well-preserved set of the originals (as seen above) I'll leave the rest for someone else. For now.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2020, 12:12 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Lucky! Ive been all over my area and most Ive seen is a trap someone had already broken a door off of.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2021, 7:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A friend of mind recently started as a Hasbro merchandiser.

Today he came through for me. Check this shit out!

PostPosted: January 27th, 2022, 2:40 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
I never had him as a kid. as I got older I wished i had gotten him. happy to say I was able to pick one up my self. :)

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: January 27th, 2022, 9:09 am 
Administrator
Administrator

jason knetge wrote:
I never had him as a kid. as I got older I wished i had gotten him. happy to say I was able to pick one up my self. :)

Fearsome Flush is the shit, isn't he?

I can just about bet money you at least tried to snag one of the Stay Puft reissues.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2022, 4:58 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Fritz wrote:
jason knetge wrote:

Fearsome Flush is the shit, isn't he?

I can just about bet money you at least tried to snag one of the Stay Puft reissues.

har har.

yeah I wanted to get him to put on my desk for work. that was back before i decided to keep working remotely.

also as for stay puff. that is a safe bet.
and there was no try. :P he was day one order.

i also managed to get some ecto 1 reissues

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel