All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 12:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Previous Discussion

Ghostbusters Apocrypha: The Legend Of Mary Sue

Apocrypha Era Two--After GB2
Everyone knows what Mary Sues are. If you've read a Mary Sue fan fic--any Mary Sue fan fic--you'll know what to expect here. Think of this as my primer on "How NOT To Write Ghostbusters Fan Fiction"
-------------------------
NOT a story in the Timeline. The closest you could get is to consider it as a masturbatory fantasy written by the "real" Mary Sue seen in Opening Night and Chronicles of Gozer

Some "highlights":

Venkman: Characterization taken from Venkman/Egon Slash stories ("I see....she turned both of you straight..." "I only screwed all those women over the years because Egon denied me...")

Egon: Immediately fell in love with Mary Sue. Supposedly "never in love with Janine" despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Janine: Desperate, slutty harpy (ie reads "Slut" magazine; hints that she slept with Venkman one Thanksgiving, which I admit was a broadside at an actual story on GBN, and not one by You Know Who)

Winston: Talks in hip-hop slang. Acts stupid. Is portrayed as an afterthought ("Winston suddenly remembered he was in this story and reacted")

Ray: No hints he's an intelligent paranormal researcher. Gets increasingly juvenile as the story goes along (ie watches Spongebob and carries a Barney the Dinosaur doll)

Well, okay, Slimer doesn't get much misportrayal--but I pretty much vented my spleen on Slimer misportrayals in "Gemini Rising"

Relevant Picture

PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 10:09 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
I always find it amusing how Egon gets more and more nervous the more things Janine says that prove he loves her.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2013, 4:19 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Cancer
I don't think I ever said how much I love this this story, did I? Well, there I did.

BTW, has anyone actually written a fanfic where Winston spoke in Ebonics? Given that he never speaks anything other than "ordinary" US English in canon, I'd be surprised, but you never know....

PostPosted: May 30th, 2013, 10:00 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The Joker wrote:
I don't think I ever said how much I love this this story, did I? Well, there I did.

Thanks.
:)

Quote:
BTW, has anyone actually written a fanfic where Winston spoke in Ebonics? Given that he never speaks anything other than "ordinary" US English in canon, I'd be surprised, but you never know....

I keep thinking somewhere I read one where he did....but it's been a while, and I can't remember where. So I couldn't exactly swear to it in a court of law or anything.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2013, 6:49 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Cancer
Fritz wrote:
The Joker wrote:

Thanks.
:)

Quote:

I keep thinking somewhere I read one where he did....but it's been a while, and I can't remember where. So I couldn't exactly swear to it in a court of law or anything.

I was thinking it might have been that horrific (possibly troll) fanfic that was posted on the old GBC - the one where the President hires the Ghostbusters to kill Osama bin Laden, remember? - but I don't think so. All I remember that Winston wasn't even mentioned by name in it, only as "the black guy"....

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2016, 1:00 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Aries
Hey Fritz, funny story! When BlackMaria mentioned something about finding the source material that inspired this story, which ones was she referring to?

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2016, 8:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Maroon5fan wrote:
Hey Fritz, funny story! When BlackMaria mentioned something about finding the source material that inspired this story, which ones was she referring to?

I looked over the original thread to try to jog my memory. I can point out a thing or two:

Mary Sue Gladstone was most expressly intent to take aim at the Egon fangirls who hate Janine for, you know, being a fictional character just like him and thus able to romance him in the way they can't because Egon isn't real. I based her appearance on Flay Allster, a character I despised in Gundam SEED, which was running on Cartoon Network at the time I created her (2004).

This wasn't Mary Sue's first appearance, though--she'd previously appeared in GBWC: Opening Night

Quote:
"235?" <Chelsea> shouted.

"Me!!! That's me!!!" the same dark-haired lady whom Robert had met earlier bounded to the front of the room.

"This way..." Chelsea said, leading the woman to a table where Dr. Peter Venkman and Dr. Joey Williams were sitting, both wearing sport coats and ties. Joey had a similar paper nametag (though his read "GBI FRANCHISE CEO"), while Venkman's was plastic, engraved, and had his name and the title "GBI CEO"

Venkman stood up and introduced himself and Joey to her. "Our business operations manager, Miss Aberdeen, tells me you scored quite well on the test. Miss..." he looked down at the paper in front of him.

"Mary Sue Gladstone!" she anwered brightly, before Venkman could read it.

"Miss Gladstone" Joey nodded. Not too bad a piece of work here either...

Mary Sue looked at both of them, then around some...she saw a third man, with a "GBI STAFF" tag, playing Beenimon on his Game Boy Advance (Peter Kong, though she didn't know that) but that didn't seem to satisfy her. "Egon isn't here?"

One of Joey's eyebrows shot up. "Egon?"

"The whole reason I want to be a Ghostbuster is so I can meet Egon! He is like the perfect man, and I want to give him all the love he needs!!!'

Venkman's eyes narrowed. "You...do realize that Professor Spengler has been married for the last five years?" he asked her slowly.

Mary Sue's nose shrivelled with disgust. "Oh, c'mon, Peter, you worked with that bitch, you know how she is--she just wants one thing out of him and that's it. She's just no good for him!!! It's a mismatch made in Hell!!! I have a black belt in karate--I can take her!! Hi-Yah!!!" With that, she threw a roundhouse kick at harmless empty air...

...Or it would've been if Jeremy hadn't chosen the wrong moment to walk up.

Peter Kong jumped up and ran over to the now out-cold Jeremy.

Venkman's face adopted his fakest smile and he shook Mary Sue's hand. "I think we've seen all we need to, haven't we Dr. Williams?"

Joey had just as forced a smile. "I think we have Sir!"

"We'll send the application to the home office for processing, and contact you shortly! Thanks for your interest!!!" Venkman continued.

"When should I call..."

"We'll call you, Miss Gladstone!!!' Joey said brightly.

"I'm gonna be a Ghostbuster!!!" Mary Sue chanted happily as she walked away. "I'm gonna get to meet Eeeegon!!!"

When she left the room, Venkman aggressively tore her application into tiny pieces and threw it into a waste basket marked "home office". "Insults to the sister-in-law are Uncle Petey's grounds to reject your application, have a nice day. Bitch"

And in Chronicles of Gozer she is hypnotized by one of the villains as a way to break in to GBCentral. She appears in a few scenes throughout the rest of the story and, in an intentional bit of irony, meets practically ever GBI member under the Sun except Egon. (Part 1 of Chronicles features a rewrite of the above scene from her perspective, if you think you can stomach it :lol: )

The GBN archive isn't working right now, so I can't point you to the Thanksgiving story I mention earlier in the thread.

Other than that, I can't really think of any. It's been quite a few years since I wrote "Legend of Mary Sue", after all.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2016, 11:12 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Aries
Okay. I thought maybe she had meant a list of bad fanfics that are still around possibly.