It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:08 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: September 8th, 2022, 3:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61585886

Quote:
Queen Elizabeth II, the UK's longest-serving monarch, has died at Balmoral aged 96, after reigning for 70 years.

Her son King Charles III said the death of his beloved mother was a "moment of great sadness" for him and his family and that her loss would be "deeply felt" around the world.

Senior royals had gathered at her Scottish estate after concerns grew about her health earlier on Thursday.

The Queen came to the throne in 1952 and witnessed enormous social change.

Yeah, after public vacillation years ago

Quote:
There had been speculation as to what regnal name the prince would choose upon his succession to the throne. In 2005, it was reported that Charles had suggested he might choose to reign as George VII in honour of his maternal grandfather, and to avoid association with the Stuart kings Charles I (who was beheaded) and Charles II (who was known for his promiscuous lifestyle),[257] as well as to be sensitive to the memory of Bonnie Prince Charlie, once a Stuart pretender to the English and Scottish thrones, who was called "Charles III" by his supporters.[257] In 2005 Charles's office said that no decision had yet been made.[258] In an announcement following the death of Queen Elizabeth II, Prime Minister Liz Truss referred to Charles as King Charles III, the first official usage of that name.[259] Shortly afterwards Clarence House confirmed that he would use the regnal name "Charles III".[260] years ago...

...the first new monarch of Great Britain since my parents were children is King Charles III. We'd even brought the issue up here

EGBFan wrote:
I can't be the only one who wants a Charles III instead of another boring old George, and then George VIII will be annoying, if I live to see it. Three front runners? No thank you!

Fritz wrote:
I think Charles doesn't want to be Charles III for some understandable reasons--Charles I and II were the monarchs of a really bad time for the monarchy: namely, Charles I was the guy that Oliver Cromwell overthrew and executed, and Charles II didn't take the English throne (he was crowned by Scotland after his father's death) until after Cromwell kicked the bucket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_I_of_England
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_England

I guess a case could be make for Prince Charles "redeeming" the name, but I also find it understandable he'd not want to open comparisons to those guys.

(The Bonnie Prince Charlie stuff I didn't know when I wrote that nine years ago)

In other words, you get your Charles III Rosey! Guess being called by a name for the entire seventy-three years of his life caused him to change his mind at some point.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2022, 7:26 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Fritz wrote:
In other words, you get your Charles III Rosey! Guess being called by a name for the entire seventy-three years of his life caused him to change his mind at some point.

:lol: Well, much though my sense of perspective has matured since then, I was glad to see that item on the scrolling news last night (i.e. that particular aspect of the only news item). I'm also glad that Camilla is, after all, accepting the title of Queen Consort (as the late Queen wished).

Absolutely everybody in the country can, if they want to, make this all about them, especially if they happen to be under seventy (and perhaps even more especially if they've got other major things going on this year, and - I don't know - maybe those record-smashing temperatures came on their birthday or something!).

She was, of course, the only monarch we have ever known. Through all the comedy and tragedy of life, the Queen was the Queen. Jake and I, after goggling at the BBC News for a few minutes, were moved to remember out loud how our grandmother talked about her thirty years ago and more. An old monarch-listing ruler of Jake's and our kings and queens playing cards and that reference to Prince Charles in EGB... so many things, still in date throughout our lives, now suddenly out of date. It's not unexpected, but it's huge. And to think of calling Prince Charles anything other than Prince Charles...! :shock:

Having said all that, it's amazing how quickly one gets used to things.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3